Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

strong burning smell

Options
  • 23-03-2015 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hey all.

Looking for an answer from a qualified electrician. I noticed a strong smell of burning coming from the en-suit. All that's in there is the electric shower, the light and shaving socket light. The pull chord for the electric shower was on and it had been on for over a month. So there was constant power going to the shower even when it wasn't being used. I took the cover off the shower and noticed black / burning on the cables going in to the shower. Before the block connector all the cables in the shower unit look fine. I'm taking it this is where its coming from. My question is, was this because the shower was left with power going to it and is the shower safe to use. The cables are in the wall so I'd imagine it's a big job to run new cables.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

My advice is not to use the shower until a qualified electrician checks it out. It's unlikely that this damage was caused by leaving the switch on however. Most likely a loose connection. Post pics if possible. Turn trip switch off for shower unit.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

As above, I'm sure you've turned the power off at the pull cord at this stage. The fact that the pull cord was left on shouldn't have resulted in this at all so you've a fault elsewhere. The contacts at the internal switch on the shower are perhaps faults so it maybe a new shower required. If it's all isolated I'd be interested in seeing a picture just out of curiosity, won't be able to tell you too much from here, you'll need an electrician to take a look.

Are you sure the smell is coming from the shower btw, don't rule out a fault elsewhere until you're absolutely sure. Don't want to frighten you but better to be safe...

• Registered Users Posts: 28 bren82

As above, I'm sure you've turned the power off at the pull cord at this stage. The fact that the pull cord was left on shouldn't have resulted in this at all so you've a fault elsewhere. The contacts at the internal switch on the shower are perhaps faults so it maybe a new shower required. If it's all isolated I'd be interested in seeing a picture just out of curiosity, won't be able to tell you too much from here, you'll need an electrician to take a look.

Are you sure the smell is coming from the shower btw, don't rule out a fault elsewhere until you're absolutely sure. Don't want to frighten you but better to be safe...

Thanks all.... It's definitely the shower.. I have some pictures but they don't show much plus I don't know how to post them here.
    I've had an electric shower installed for the last 6 years. The shower became faulty in October so it was replaced with a new one.
    I check for loose cables in both the shower and pull cord and its there both tight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Cerco

Get this checked out by an electrician.
    Do you know the Power rating (KW) of your previous shower and your present one?
    Was it installed by a professional?

Advertisement