Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Alfa Romeo Giulietta- to buy or not to buy

• 23-03-2015 10:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭

Hey all, living in England at the moment and have been putting off treating myself to a new (used) car, currently driving a 2002 Golf. It occurred to me the other day that I will be absolutely destroyed on tax for this if I move back to Ireland anytime soon, as is the sort of plan. £130 to tax here, €710 at home :eek::eek::eek: Dear god I forgot how f**ked you are if you drive a pre-2008 car.

Anyhoo, this pondering has turned into, may as well buy a new car, going to have to sooner or later, which has turned into, may as well make it a Giulietta! Have wanted one for years and thinking feck it why not. I'm torn between the 1.4 TB Lusso petrol with 170bhp, or the 2.0L diesel with 140bhp. Genuinely not sure what my driving patterns will be over the next 2 years, probably medium level non-motorway commuting during the week, and some long spins at the weekends.

Just wanted to get an idea of resale value of these cars in Ireland, and has anyone owned one and have a preference for diesel or petrol? I know it's a personal thing but curious to see. I saw on motors.ie that there are only 14 on sale secondhand in the whole country so hoping I'd get a reasonable resale value if I look after it. Spending about £7-9k here.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

If resale is important I don't think any Alfa is really a good choice...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

As said if your really looking to buy something with the plan of loosing very little of your money on come selling time over here then your looking at the wrong brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭dbrunson

Shelga wrote: »
    Hey all, living in England at the moment and have been putting off treating myself to a new (used) car, currently driving a 2002 Golf. It occurred to me the other day that I will be absolutely destroyed on tax for this if I move back to Ireland anytime soon, as is the sort of plan. £130 to tax here, €710 at home :eek::eek::eek: Dear god I forgot how f**ked you are if you drive a pre-2008 car.

Anyhoo, this pondering has turned into, may as well buy a new car, going to have to sooner or later, which has turned into, may as well make it a Giulietta! Have wanted one for years and thinking feck it why not. I'm torn between the 1.4 TB Lusso petrol with 170bhp, or the 2.0L diesel with 140bhp. Genuinely not sure what my driving patterns will be over the next 2 years, probably medium level non-motorway commuting during the week, and some long spins at the weekends.

Just wanted to get an idea of resale value of these cars in Ireland, and has anyone owned one and have a preference for diesel or petrol? I know it's a personal thing but curious to see. I saw on motors.ie that there are only 14 on sale secondhand in the whole country so hoping I'd get a reasonable resale value if I look after it. Spending about £7-9k here.

Thoughts?

Resale values on any brand are all relative.
    The alfa is way cooler than any thing in that bracket, buy it and smile everytime you look at it or buy an astra / focus / corolla and feel nothing...

Thoughts?

The alfa is way cooler than any thing in that bracket, buy it and smile everytime you look at it or buy an astra / focus / corolla and feel nothing...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

You are concerned about wasting your money by spending €710 per year on motor tax and hope to remedy this by buying a newish Alfa?

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Shelga

dbrunson wrote: »

Haha, pretty much my thoughts. Hoping to test drive one this week anyway, won't rush into anything.

Resale isn't a major concern, I could see myself wanting to keep it for 4-5 years if there are no big issues. I suppose I was more asking a general question about reselling a car in Ireland that was bought in the UK? In terms of getting more for your money over here, then it not depreciating QUITE as much if I sold it on in Ireland rather than England. Buy at an English price, sell at an Irish price.

As I said, not the driving factor at all though. I just want one dammit! :D

Haha, pretty much my thoughts. Hoping to test drive one this week anyway, won't rush into anything.

Resale isn't a major concern, I could see myself wanting to keep it for 4-5 years if there are no big issues. I suppose I was more asking a general question about reselling a car in Ireland that was bought in the UK? In terms of getting more for your money over here, then it not depreciating QUITE as much if I sold it on in Ireland rather than England. Buy at an English price, sell at an Irish price.

As I said, not the driving factor at all though. I just want one dammit! :D

As there was damn all sold i reckon these will be easy enough to sell on. No issues re selling a UK car. Shed loads imported over the years. Keep all your documentation and enjoy .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

A well specced Giulietta will hold its value well enough over here. They look good, have fantastic engines and are reliable.

If you want one OP, then I'd go for it!

You may be exempt from VRT if you move to ireland which will certainly offset some of the depreciation if you sell after a few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

The Guiletta is actually holding value better than previous Alfas over here. I'm a huge Alfa fan and drive one , but I'm not sold on the Guilietta looks wise, don't feel it has that traditional Alfa feel to it, something I'm hoping they put right with the 'Guilia' announcement in June this year.

In saying that , it's a great car stand alone. If you do consider one do yourself a favour and forget the diesel , 1.4 Lusso all the way. Driving an Alfa diesel is like buying an MR2 and sticking a Ferrari kit on it or dressing up in a fancy suit for dinner and not showering for 3 days beforehand.

It's pointless, Diesels are for Passat's , Audi and all the rest. If you want to buy and drive an Alfa, don't sell yourself short. They are a drivers car.

If your very concerned about loosing money, don't buy one.

If you think feck it, I only live once and want a car that makes me smile...buy one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,490 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Thoughts?

170BHP out of a 1.4

impressive

• Advertisement

lawred2 wrote: »
    170BHP out of a 1.4

impressive

Sure is, Turbocharged obviously. If there's one thing Alfa know it's how to get power out of an engine.

I'd imagine their new line up will follow this Turbo direction...I'd love to see a new V6 in the line up as well though...

Are Alfa still using engines part developed with GM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

I wonder how many motorists in their crusade for "chape tax" actually end up costing themselves thousands. Maybe 90%?

Moneymaker wrote: »
    I wonder how many motorists in their crusade for "chape tax" actually end up costing themselves thousands. Maybe 90%?

How do they cost themselves thousands?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

166man wrote: »
    How do they cost themselves thousands?

Person drives older car, pays 700 quid a year in tax. Hates paying tax.

Spends a fortune on a 2008+ car, pays 200 quid a year in tax.

Brags about how cheap the tax is.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Cen taurus

Thoughts?

If you are moving back from England, and you've any sense, six months before you do, you'll buy a motor that is in big demand in Ireland but has highish VRT, and make yourself some money, or at the very least, have depreciation free motoring for a while. You can always pick up a Alfa in Ireland after you get back, and for half nothing, as the deprecation on Alfa's in Ireland is horrendous and nobody other than 'enthusiasts' want em.

Moneymaker wrote: »
    Person drives older car, pays 700 quid a year in tax. Hates paying tax.

Spends a fortune on a 2008+ car, pays 200 quid a year in tax.

Brags about how cheap the tax is.

Person drives old car.

Person would like new car

New car has lowering running costs which is a bonus.....

Where's the costing themselves thousands part?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Shelga

Cen taurus wrote: »
    If you are moving back from England, and you've any sense, six months before you do, you'll buy a motor that is in big demand in Ireland but has highish VRT, and make yourself some money, or at the very least, have depreciation free motoring for a while. You can always pick up a Alfa in Ireland after you get back, and for half nothing, as the deprecation on Alfa's in Ireland is horrendous and nobody other than 'enthusiasts' want em.

Thanks, will have a think about it. Other ones I'm considering are a 1 series or a Volvo C30- would either of these do better on resale? Again, it's not my main consideration, just nice info to have.

Drove the diesel Giulieta today and quite liked it but of course it was more 'diesely' than super fun to drive. Also by all accounts these cars are more reliable than the Alfas of old?

Yes the Guilleta has a good reliability rating , to be honest the 156, 166 and 159 all had good ratings as well. When you talk of Alfa's of old your going back years to when they had major electrical/rust issues. Modern Alfa's are as good as any other car in that bracket.

Two Alfa's have broken down on me , one 156 the tie rod end came away (Car was not well looked after though before I bought it) and on the 166 the clutch went at 115 (Original clutch) both times I asked the driver what he see's broken down the most on the road, relative to amount of them I know but they both told me BMW 320, never off the back of his truck but yet people not really in the know but like to think they are will continue to tell you Alfa's are crap, unreliable and 'Sure get a 320D lad, super car'...

If you're truly worried about reliability and performance get a Honda.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭kyote00

1.4tb multiair is a fantastic engine - and is all fiat/alfa....

Advertisement