Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transferring money to NZ bank account with EBS

Options
  • 23-03-2015 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭

Hello,

I am moving to New Zealand soon and have set up a bank account with Bank of New Zealand. I have my swift code, account number, sort code etc. In the welcome letter it says to transfer money into my new account by telegraphic transfer. I went into EBS today to try do this, and was met with a puzzled face cashier, who told me they can't do it and I have to do it online. I have online banking with EBS but when I tried to transfer money by setting up a new beneficiary it says invalid details were entered?
    I was wondering if someone could help me here as I got no help in the EBS at all today!

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Hello,

I am moving to New Zealand soon and have set up a bank account with Bank of New Zealand. I have my swift code, account number, sort code etc. In the welcome letter it says to transfer money into my new account by telegraphic transfer. I went into EBS today to try do this, and was met with a puzzled face cashier, who told me they can't do it and I have to do it online. I have online banking with EBS but when I tried to transfer money by setting up a new beneficiary it says invalid details were entered?
    I was wondering if someone could help me here as I got no help in the EBS at all today!

Thanks in advance

Use currency fair. You'll save a fair bit of cash

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭CapriSunFun

Browney7 wrote: »
    Use currency fair. You'll save a fair bit of cash

Hmm I've never heard of that before. I went onto the website but I'm not sure..

Would it be just as easy to transfer money to my boyfriend's AIB account and then have him transfer that money to my BNZ account?

I'm still not sure if I can actually transfer money from my EBS account to an overseas account..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

What are you not sure about?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,941 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Would it be just as easy to transfer money to my boyfriend's AIB account and then have him transfer that money to my BNZ account?

I'm still not sure if I can actually transfer money from my EBS account to an overseas account..

if you are really rich and don't mind paying the bank rates, then by all means go the EBS / AIB route. (Oh - and provided you totally trust your boyfriend.)

But if it's a decent amount you are transferring and you don't want to waste money, then stop wasting time thinking about bank transfers and spend some time googling Currency Fair. (I understand your skepticism - but these services have made a huge difference to the price of moving currency around, and have now proven themselves to a great extent.)

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭CapriSunFun

dobsdave wrote: »
    What are you not sure about?

I have never heard of those websites before and no one has ever mentioned them to me before. That's why I wasn't sure but after researching them I realise they are the best route to take.
    And yes I completely trust my boyfriend, I'm going over to New Zealand with him!

Thanks for the advice about currency fair, I will definitely go that route.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭skippy2

+1 on Currency Fair. They are very efficient and save loads of money on fees. I use them regularly every month and save buckets on exchange rates. Never use a bank for transferring money if you can avoid it. CF are also very helpful on the phone if you need to ring them.
    Enjoy NZ and the money you save is better in your pocket. Best of luck

Advertisement