Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Savings A/C

Options
  • 23-03-2015 10:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hi,

I am looking to put together a deposit for a house within 3 years. I am looking to save €100 a month going forward. Additionally, my parents are planning on giving me 3k a year; as this is the maximum "gift" parents can give to their children under the new CGT regs. So my question is, what would the best savings a/c be to choose? Nationwide appears to be offering 4% and that seems to be well above others?

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭TiGeR KiNgS

Hi,

I am looking to put together a deposit for a house within 3 years. I am looking to save €100 a month going forward. Additionally, my parents are planning on giving me 3k a year; as this is the maximum "gift" parents can give to their children under the new CGT regs. So my question is, what would the best savings a/c be to choose? Nationwide appears to be offering 4% and that seems to be well above others?

Thanks in advance :)

The annual tax free gift allowance is actually €6k in your case - €3k from each parent under CAT as I understand it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Your parents can gift you something like €225k in your lifetime.

The best option is a Nationwide UK Ireland regular saver. Its 4% and you can lodge from 100-1000 per month. TBH €100 savings for a deposit is pretty poor. You need to save a lot more for a decent deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭AlexisM

hfallada wrote: »
    Your parents can gift you something like €225k in your lifetime.
    But the 3K p.a does not go towards eroding this limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭guile4582

i think nationwide too, note its a 15 month term

• Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭ratmouse

guile4582 wrote: »
    i think nationwide too, note its a 15 month term

That seems like a good rate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭guile4582

just beware at month 15 if you do not withdraw you go to a lower rate of 1.05% and are automatically rolled into another 15 month term

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

guile4582 wrote: »
    just beware at month 15 if you do not withdraw you go to a lower rate of 1.05% and are automatically rolled into another 15 month term

You are not automatically moved into another 15 month term.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

KBC also have 3.5% regular saving.Its open end so it maybe better than nationwide for long term saving

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

hfallada wrote:
    KBC also have 3.5% regular saving.Its open end so it maybe better than nationwide for long term saving

Not sure if still the case but they did offer 4% if you switched your current account to them. I agree that € 100 pm is too little for a deposit but if you've years to wait before buying its a start

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Just bear in mind that some of the best regular saver accounts will probably not permit an irregular lump sum top up of 3K once per year, and if they do the interest on that part may be much lower that the interest on the regular savings amount, so you might end up better off either having separate accounts (finding the best rate for each one) or to put the 3K in installments as part of the regular savings amount over the course of the year.

• Advertisement
Advertisement