Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

garden roller

• 23-03-2015 10:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

hi, i recently had some work done in my garden. The lawn is mature and it has a lot of marks now due to a mini digger operating on it. The grass itself looks ok, ie its not a load of exposed soil. i tried using my garden roller on it yesterday but it had no impact. Maybe it was too dry.

There is quite an area to do and i reckon i would be better hiring a small ride on roller. one guy i talked to recommended using a 2.5 tonne roller after it had rained a little. Another recommended using a 1.5 tonne roller but before it rained.

The lawn is mainly free draining dry soil.

Does anyone have any advise of which would be better to use?

i know i may have to use an aerator after rolling.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭realtec

realtec wrote: »
    hi, i recently had some work done in my garden. The lawn is mature and it has a lot of marks now due to a mini digger operating on it. The grass itself looks ok, ie its not a load of exposed soil. i tried using my garden roller on it yesterday but it had no impact. Maybe it was too dry.

There is quite an area to do and i reckon i would be better hiring a small ride on roller. one guy i talked to recommended using a 2.5 tonne roller after it had rained a little. Another recommended using a 1.5 tonne roller but before it rained.

The lawn is mainly free draining dry soil.

Does anyone have any advise of which would be better to use?

i know i may have to use an aerator after rolling.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

if there are tracks after the machine, aroller won't help. if there are bumps/hills then a roller can level them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Norfolk Enchants_

realtec wrote: »
    anyone?
    Best to do it when there is abit of "give" in the ground, so after rain, but not too much rain, you'll have to gauge when it's the right time yourself.
    A 1.5 tonne would be plenty, but don't engage the vibrating action on the roller as that will compact it too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,626 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Would it not be better to fill the depressions with fine topsoil and overseed them.

Seriously compacting your lawn will hardly do the soil any good.

Think of all te people aerating ther lawn to get air down to grow healthy grass, and your considering the opposite, bringing in heavy equipment to compact it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Norfolk Enchants_

_Brian wrote: »
    Would it not be better to fill the depressions with fine topsoil and overseed them.

Seriously compacting your lawn will hardly do the soil any good.

Think of all te people aerating ther lawn to get air down to grow healthy grass, and your considering the opposite, bringing in heavy equipment to compact it.
    Yup of course topdressing is also an option and is probably a preferred option for the reasons you outlined.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭realtec

Yup of course topdressing is also an option and is probably a preferred option for the reasons you outlined.

The tracks would nor be that prominent though.. maybe an inch difference in height. top filling would still be a option but there is a large area for raking out

Advertisement