Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not happy with first aid assessment result.

Options
  • 23-03-2015 11:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭

Firstly i guess this is important, I'm a qualified lifeguard passed with flying colours (or so they said)
    Recently I completed a first aid course (a lot was already covered)
    I got 80% in the written, did pretty well in the CPR and then we get to the 'first aid' part

I was given the scenario, 'ok so your a teacher in this school (exam was in a small school) and a student fell outside and was brought in, now it's over to you,
    So from what he said I knew the student knew who I was, and they were in a safe place.
    I went about my steps as you do and at the end he said do I want to ring an ambulance (judging by the persons cut I would have said no but I said yes because we were suppose to)
    I then said where we were and he said
    'Oh but what _____? There are thousands of ____ in the country!
    I specified and he said ok.

Then he said 'what about your scene safety and introducing yourself'?
    I said 'well because I'm a teacher and he's a student he would know me, and because he was brough in from where he got hurt I gathered the scene was safe'
    He just said 'ok fine that's all so'

I got my result back (doesn't account for much more then pride)
    And I had to look twice, I thought I rea it wrong.
    Passing was 50 and I got 67!
    A girl who was told to repeat CPR and got 5 of the questions got 80 and I got 67?..
    It doesn't stand for much but I felt I was high 90s not barely passing (I was one of the lowest in the class)
    Others had asked me questions because I had covered it before yet I got a good 20 points less!

It's pointless but I'm pissed off...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

The exams are corrected on a tick box method. So even though you assumed scene safety for example you have to explicitly say it to get the mark - silly i know. Thats the same all the way up through to advanced paramedic.

My major problem with medical exams always is you learn to pass the exam not treat anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Seanf999

timmywex wrote: »
    The exams are corrected on a tick box method. So even though you assumed scene safety for example you have to explicitly say it to get the mark - silly i know. Thats the same all the way up through to advanced paramedic.

My major problem with medical exams always is you learn to pass the exam not treat anyone.

Well if I had known that I would have done a running commentary!

It is ridiculous, surely people are going to be able to gauge whether a scene is safe or if a student in a school realises a teacher with a bandage is going to help them.
    You shouldn't have to have every bit of internal dialogue blurted out, that's hard to do for a lot of people, like myself, I know what I'm doing but just because I don't talk the entire time doesn't mean I'm stuck for words

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

Seanf999 wrote: »
    Well if I had known that I would have done a running commentary!

It is ridiculous, surely people are going to be able to gauge whether a scene is safe or if a student in a school realises a teacher with a bandage is going to help them.
    You shouldn't have to have every bit of internal dialogue blurted out, that's hard to do for a lot of people, like myself, I know what I'm doing but just because I don't talk the entire time doesn't mean I'm stuck for words

Preaching to the converted here! But the examiner doesn't know that you've considered it at all, which is the issue - at least you passed.

Here are some of the assessment sheets for Emergency Medical Technician, you can see in this instance how some things need to be verbalised too, its probably something your instructor should have told you really http://www.phecit.ie/Images/PHECC/Publications%20and%20Media/Exams/EMT_Assessment_Sheets_2011.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭GoProGaming

as an instructor/examiner, if you don't demonstrate/ verbalize it, we cant give you the mark for it, as how do we know that you know it? Silly i know but them be the rules I'm afraid!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭sjb25

You verbalise or tell the examiner everything you do in an exam u feel like a tit but you do it and always always always check scene is safe and tell examiner you are taking BSI precautions even if you are wearing gloves and even if you have known a person for 100years you introduce yourself and ask do they want you to help them yes it all sounds silly but it's a mark on the sheet so you do it even the hole way to advanced paramedic level you do the same in exams just how they go

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

As silly as it sounds, there is a lot of verbalising to do in an exam. This should have been pointed out to you during training. Since you passed I would chalk it down to experience and look into it for the next exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Seanf999

After calming down and looking back I can see I was in the wrong, verbalising, although stupid, is the only real way the examiner will know what your doing otherwise it's guessing and assuming.
    Ahwell I'll know for again!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

It really doesn't matter in the big picture - you got a higher mark than the pass mark - grades don't really come into it, don't worry about it :)

There is a lot of role playing on first aid course - my own opinion is some instructors / examiners get too caught up in it. 67 also sounds low mark for a single issue though?

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Bang Bang

In medical doctor exams what do you call the candidate who scored one mark above the pass rate? = Doctor.

Well done on passing your first aid exams and best wishes for any future or advanced exams you sit.

Advertisement