Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Land Survey / Topo Survey

Options
  • 24-03-2015 1:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭

Hi,

For instance, a rural ~2acre site, slight gradient from left to right. Small stream to the north and eastern boundary. Road to the south and east. Dwelling located centrally on the site.

How much would something like this be? I realize rates will vary and be dependent on actually seeing the site but any answers greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Depending on detail of house, trees, roadway etc €700 - 5k

How did the 3 quotes you got compare?

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Keller Bear

Thanks!

The purpose of the survey is ultimately for planning of a separate ~70m2 structure independent of the existing house. So, the detail for the existing house would only consist of the line of the external wall face, probably nothing more needed than that. Internal survey could be done by myself if necessary.

Trees/hedgerows etc. would probably only need to be on an indicative detail of locating where trees/hedges. No need for precise crown shapes, root protection zones etc.

You mention roadway, what do you actually mean?

I hadn't got rates yet, was just giving myself a quick figure to keep in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Troy2013

We had a topographical survey done about six months ago- not exactly for the kind of planning application you are making though- and it cost about €950+V.A.T. Ours was for our farmhouse on 1.7 acres of sloping ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Supertech

Certainly under the €950 I'd have thought- even that might be on the high side for what you're looking for. There's not much to it by the sounds of things. You'll do better if you shop round. Try to use someone local, as that should reduce costs aswell. Be specific in the detail you're looking for too - if there's stuff you genuinely don't nees, then don't have it picked up. For the type of planning you're talking about you need existing buildings, septic tank(s) wells, percolations areas, boundaries and spot levels / contours all relative to a datum / bench mark. You'll need the road edge and the roadside boundary if are applyiong for a new entrance.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Dr_Bill

A budget estimate it will cost in the region of €700-€1100 for a basic survey assuming a rural setting.

The surveyor will need a day on site to carry out the work and some time in the office to process the survey and produce the drawings for you.

Difficult to pin an exact price on it without visiting the site.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Keller Bear

Thanks! It seems those ball park figures are not too wide of the mark!

As a matter of interest. For simplicity, say the site is rectangular (positioned in landscape format), if the proposed new structure is primarily going to be to the rear of the site and closer to the north-east corner and east boundary. Would the entire site need to be surveyed?

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Supertech

It will make little difference on a 2 acre site, and will also depend where the remaining existing buildings and services are on the site, as you'll need to show these on the Site Plan. If you intend outlining the entire site for planning purposes, then you need to survey the lot.

Advertisement