Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bringing in vintage vehicle from USA to Ireland

Options
  • 24-03-2015 3:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi!

So, a neighbour of mine has bought a lovely looking Porsche 944 that he's doing very little work with. He bought it off a fella from Fermanagh. There's speculation whether he got the right paperwork (the car is still I believe registered in the US). It doesn't have northern plates so it couldn't be? I heard that licence plates are more or less specific to the person and not the car in the states? Am I wrong? Can this car have no plates of its own?

If I was to bring in an American car to register it in Ireland, what paperwork should I be looking for? I don't want to buy a car I can't take on the road...

Also, how much is it to bring in cars from the US? Is there a VRT charged even though it's 30+ years old?

Thanks for the help, im a terrible noob at this stuff!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭swarlb

jamezymck wrote: »
    Hi!

So, a neighbour of mine has bought a lovely looking Porsche 944 that he's doing very little work with. He bought it off a fella from Fermanagh. There's speculation whether he got the right paperwork (the car is still I believe registered in the US). It doesn't have northern plates so it couldn't be? I heard that licence plates are more or less specific to the person and not the car in the states? Am I wrong? Can this car have no plates of its own?

If I was to bring in an American car to register it in Ireland, what paperwork should I be looking for? I don't want to buy a car I can't take on the road...

Also, how much is it to bring in cars from the US? Is there a VRT charged even though it's 30+ years old?

Thanks for the help, im a terrible noob at this stuff!

Would it not be simpler to source a car either here or in the UK. A much easier process, and most likely RHD.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

jamezymck wrote: »
    You'll pay a €200 flat VRT fee, but you'll have to pay VAT on the (invoice price + shipping cost). There's also custom duties.

With the dollar gone the way it is, unless you're making a big saving it's not economically viable anymore.

Say you import a car for 10k and it costs you 3K to get it here... you're looking at over €16,500 on the road.

Advertisement