Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

IMDB Top 50 - How many have you seen?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

jimmii wrote: »
    Yeah it wouldn't be massively different as its in the same location as on the play so you can probably picture it quite well after seeing the play. Plan on going to see that was it good?

Sensational. Sure an Oscar nominee leads the cast. I was fairly far back in the circle, if you get a chance to get seats close enough to the stage you might benefit from seeing more of the facial expressions and passion that are required, because it's so dialogue heavy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,295 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I've seen 33 on the Imdb list ,pretty much all of the films made in the last 40 years plus a few older ones.
    I find anything earlier than the 60's hard to watch anyway as the acting style to me is comical so will probably never bother to watch the rest.

My main issue with alot of the older films is that whilst they were groundbreaking at the time ,they have been copied style wise and plot wise so many times in the mean time that the effect of the film is diluted when you actually watch it.

I've also been stung badly watching a few older classics.
    I watched "The Conversation" lately,an early Francis Ford Coppola film ,supposedly one of the best films of the 70's ,it was terrible ,I felt I was going mad like the main character in it .
    Also watched "Mean Streets" ,an early Scorcese film which style wise and technique wise looked great for the time and I can see its influence but it was like a rough script for a film .
    At times it felt like it was just a camera following some random guys around.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

34 not bad.I'l have to sit down and 12 Angry Men soon.Going to watch Whiplash next.

Whiplash was unwatchable.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

eternal wrote: »
    Whiplash was unwatchable.

I would dispute that, given that I actually watched it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

14. Inception (2010)

18. The Matrix (1999)

20. Seven Samurai (1954)
    21. City of God (2002)
    22. Interstellar (2014)

27. Once Upon a Time in the West (1968)

29. Life Is Beautiful (1997)

34. Spirited Away (2001)

43. Memento (2000)

48. Sunset Blvd. (1950)

Haven't seen the above. Only one I feel I should see is Sunset Boulevard. The rest are either going to be on TV at some point and I might watch or are unworthy of a mention in a list like that (Matrix:confused:).

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Telecaster58

Seen all apart from Spirited Away and Sunset Blvrd.

You are in for a treat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

seen 33 but i only want to see about 5 on the list that i actually want to watch and havent yet

14. Inception (2010)

18. The Matrix (1999)

20. Seven Samurai (1954)
    21. City of God (2002)
    22. Interstellar (2014)

27. Once Upon a Time in the West (1968)

29. Life Is Beautiful (1997)

34. Spirited Away (2001)

43. Memento (2000)

48. Sunset Blvd. (1950)

Haven't seen the above. Only one I feel I should see is Sunset Boulevard. The rest are either going to be on TV at some point and I might watch or are unworthy of a mention in a list like that (Matrix:confused:).

Not a fan of Christopher Nolan?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,942 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

30 from IMDB and only 4 from Sight and Sound

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

9 from IMDB and 2 from S&S...

Do I win a prize for being so uncultured? :pac:

errlloyd wrote: »
    Not a fan of Christopher Nolan?

Wouldn't even have noticed him as a director of any of those apart from Inception. He's good at coming in on budget with profitable special effects movies would be my judgement. They're just not my cup of tea.
    Of the ones I singled out as having not seen only one I'm not planning to see is...

The Matrix....? Keanu Reeves ? The only people I've seen in real life who rave about it are normally out on day release with their babysitter.

And don't get me wrong, I'll happily munch popcorn to TNG and LOTR and confess I dodged The Seven Samurai because I've seen The Magnificent Seven.

Wouldn't even have noticed him as a director of any of those apart from Inception. He's good at coming in on budget with profitable special effects movies would be my judgement. They're just not my cup of tea.

That is absolutely fair enough, but maybe you should start with Momento - firstly I think it's his best film (and my favourite), and secondly it was kind of his first major picture, the budget is only 5mn dollars. There are no mad special effects or anything, it's just a movie shot in an undisclosed American town about a guy with no short memory trying to avenge the murder of his wife.

If you enjoy it, then maybe consider The Prestige, Inception, Interstellar and Batman.

Finally in his big budget films I'd stress it's not like Transformers, his special effects are mostly real shots. It's actually quite impressive, in Inception there is a sequence with that neverending stairwell optical illusion, they actually built it, and set up the cameras to record the illusion properly. He's a fan of using real film, and he's fan of elaborate sets, but he doesn't like CGI.

I've seen the Batmans and rate The Prestige. Neither of which rate in a top 50 of anything but certainly would get a mention before the much maligned Matrix. Sticking Whiplash in is pre-emptive. Not a bad movie but it won't be remembered in a year or two. If you need a bullying sergeant major movie, Full Metal Jacket will do the trick.
    The list also lacks in comedy - unless you count the Chaplins...where is Some Like It Hot ?
    In summary, if you've seen half those movies you're doing well. And if you can't find 20 that need an eviction in favour of a better alternative, you need to stay in more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

49 - the only one I haven't seen is 12 Angry Men.

According to Letterboxd I've seen 197 of the full top 250.

You're missing the best film on the list. Should be watched by everyone IMHO, not only as a great film but as a window into our justice system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Thirty five I know I have seen, will look into the some of early one whose titles I don't recongnise to confirm if I have seen them.

You're missing the best film on the list. Should be watched by everyone IMHO, not only as a great film but as a window into our justice system.

I'd second that. Given the front pages of our newspapers and the topics of our barstool conversations over the next few days, 12 Angry Men is a must see. It'll twist you like a corkscrew. Some of the rest however good, are just movies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I have seen 46 of the 50 most popular films, as picked by males in their late teens or early twenties

Arghus wrote: »
    I have seen 46 of the 50 most popular films, as picked by males in their late teens or early twenties

I'm on 48, just missing "pussy patrol 4" and "back door banging 3"

errlloyd wrote: »
    I'm on 48, just missing "pussy patrol 4" and "back door banging 3"

....and remember as we do the rundown as chosen by the male demographic stated, "Billy The Kid" is not a cowboy movie. A mistake my late father unfortunately made in the 1980s.
    He died of unrelated causes.

I think. Bloody goats.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

Dickerty wrote: »
    It is obviously heavy on recent movies, since it's based on user scores, but with that being said, how many have you seen?

1. The Shawshank Redemption (1994)
    2. The Godfather (1972)
    3. The Godfather: Part II (1974)
    4. The Dark Knight (2008)
    5. Pulp Fiction (1994)
    6. Schindler's List (1993)
    7. 12 Angry Men (1957)
    8. The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (1966)
    9. The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (2003)
    10. Fight Club (1999)
    11. The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring(2001)
    12. Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back(1980)
    13. Forrest Gump (1994)
    14. Inception (2010)
    15. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975)
    16. The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (2002)
    17. Goodfellas (1990)
    18. The Matrix (1999)
    19. Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope (1977)
    20. Seven Samurai (1954)
    21. City of God (2002)
    22. Interstellar (2014)
    23. Se7en (1995)
    24. The Usual Suspects (1995)
    25. The Silence of the Lambs (1991)
    26. It's a Wonderful Life (1946)
    27. Once Upon a Time in the West (1968)
    28. Léon: The Professional (1994)
    29. Life Is Beautiful (1997)
    30. Casablanca (1942)
    31. American History X (1998)
    32. Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981)
    33. Saving Private Ryan (1998)
    34. Spirited Away (2001)
    35. City Lights (1931)
    36. Psycho (1960)
    37. Rear Window (1954)
    38. Whiplash (2014)
    39. The Intouchables (2011)
    40. Modern Times (1936)
    41. Terminator 2: Judgment Day (1991)
    42. The Green Mile (1999)
    43. Memento (2000)
    44. The Pianist (2002)
    45. The Departed (2006)
    46. Gladiator (2000)
    47. Apocalypse Now (1979)
    48. Sunset Blvd. (1950)
    49. Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (1964)
    50. Back to the Future (1985)

I have seen 40 of them...

47 .......... the three I haven't seen (both Star Wars and Spirited Away) don't interest me in the slightest so it'll stay at 47.

48 - one of which is a grevious oversight (Modern Times is one of the key Chaplin films I haven't gotten around to yet) and the other a conscious oversight (no interest whatsoever in ever watching Life is Beautiful).

But the IMDB list is nothing, a popularity contest that is increasingly given more weight than it deserves. Plenty of good to great films in there for sure, but a public vote is inherently biased towards popular, well-known hits so really can't be considered in any way representative of cinema as a whole.

While this list obviously also has its limitations (S&S-polled film critics have their own unique biases!) the much more interesting question I find is how many of the Sight & Sound Top 50 have you seen ;) I've seen 47, and feel it gives a much broader, challenging overview of what cinema is capable of than the IMDB one - although again with plenty of blindspots given both the voter base and the impossibility of capturing everything in 50 films.

Vertigo (1958)
    Citizen Kane (1941)
    Tokyo Story (1953)
    The Rules of the Game (1939)
    Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans (1927)
    2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)
    The Searchers (1956)
    Man with a Movie Camera (1929)
    The Passion of Joan of Arc (1928)
    8½ (1963)
    Battleship Potemkin (1925)
    L'Atalante (1934)
    Breathless (1960)
    Apocalypse Now (1979)
    Late Spring (1949)
    Au Hasard Balthazar (1966)
    Seven Samurai (1954)
    Persona (1966)
    Mirror (1975)
    Singin' in the Rain (1952)
    L'Avventura (1960)
    Contempt (1963)
    The Godfather (1972)
    Ordet (1955)
    In the Mood for Love (2000)
    Rashomon (1950)
    Andrei Rublev (1966)
    Mulholland Dr. (2001)
    Stalker (1979)
    Shoah (1985)
    The Godfather Part II (1974)
    Taxi Driver (1976)
    Bicycle Thieves (1948)
    The General (1926)
    Metropolis (1927)
    Psycho (1960)
    Jeanne Dielman, 23 quai du Commerce, 1080 Bruxelles (1975)
    Sátántangó (1994)
    The 400 Blows (1959)
    La Dolce Vita (1960)
    Journey to Italy (1954)
    Pather Panchali (1955)
    Some Like It Hot (1959)
    Gertrud (1964)
    Pierrot le Fou (1965)
    Playtime (1967)
    Close-Up (1990)
    The Battle of Algiers (1966)
    Histoire(s) du cinéma (1988-1998)
    City Lights (1931)
    Ugetsu Monogatari (1953)
    La Jetée (1962)

I've seen most of these but to be honest at least 40 from that list wouldn't get close to my Top 100 ...........

Wasn't 12 Angry Men set in an American city ....... :confused:

MadDog76 wrote: »

Ah yeah, but it was common law. Interesting window into the idea of "reasonable" doubt, might be particularly good to watch this evening, considering 12 Irish people are currently a hung jury in a case that are not allowed to discuss on boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

49, I haven't seen Interstellar yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

MadDog76 wrote: »

Except Louisiana the US is a Common Law system that imported it's Jury system from England and Wales as we did. There's not a single point of law in the film anyway it's a jury room and the attached toilet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

39, most of which I saw for the first time in the cinema and most of which I've seen more than once. Strange list though, very mainstream.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

32 I've seen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

39. going to watch the remaining films in the near future.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Matrix deserves the recognition considering how ground breaking it was at the time and the influence it had on pretty much every action film for a long time after its release. From a pure story/acting point of view it deserves criticism of course but its contribution to cinema was pretty major regardless imo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

The Matrix holds up remarkably well imo. I'd say it's at least more deserving of its place there than The Usual Suspects or Fight Club (cool plot twists alone to not make great movies imo).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Do people take notice of the IMDB ratings ? I've watched so many films that I thought were good and enjoyed that if I was to base my viewing choices based on the ratings I wouldn't have watched most of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Nah the IMDB rating would honestly be one of the last things I'd consider when about to watch a movie.

It tends to be skewed against what I love about a lot of movies anyway, for example there are tonnes of movies below 7/10 (because they're more visual than narrative, might be a bit weird on the surface and don't follow a conventional three act structure) that I'd rate higher than those in the top 250. To me the higher rating says more about a film's wide appeal than it does the quality of the film itself imo. To me a film's critical response tells me more about whether I'd want to see it or not, that and the previous work of the people who made it.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Do people take notice of the IMDB ratings ? I've watched so many films that I thought were good and enjoyed that if I was to base my viewing choices based on the ratings I wouldn't have watched most of them.

To me they're a better indicator than what my friends enjoyed, or what won oscars. There are no films I've seen in the top 250 that I haven't enjoyed, although there are many outside of it that I have.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

I've seen:

1. The Shawshank Redemption (1994)
    2. The Godfather (1972)
    3. The Godfather: Part II (1974)
    4. The Dark Knight (2008)
    5. Pulp Fiction (1994)
    6. Schindler's List (1993)
    7. 12 Angry Men (1957)
    9. The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (2003)
    10. Fight Club (1999)
    11. The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring(2001)
    13. Forrest Gump (1994)
    14. Inception (2010)
    15. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975)
    16. The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (2002)
    17. Goodfellas (1990)
    18. The Matrix (1999)
    21. City of God (2002)
    23. Se7en (1995)
    24. The Usual Suspects (1995)
    25. The Silence of the Lambs (1991)
    26. It's a Wonderful Life (1946)
    27. Once Upon a Time in the West (1968)
    30. Casablanca (1942)
    31. American History X (1998)
    33. Saving Private Ryan (1998)
    41. Terminator 2: Judgment Day (1991)
    42. The Green Mile (1999)
    43. Memento (2000)
    45. The Departed (2006)
    46. Gladiator (2000)
    48. Sunset Blvd. (1950)
    50. Back to the Future (1985)

I've seen 32 of them. It baffles me how many Chris Nolan films get in the top 250.

Advertisement