Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SSDs - Windows 7 AND 8 repairs

• 24-03-2015 10:29am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 96 ✭✭

Am totally going out of my mind, please help if you can..

I've an Asrock Extreme9 motherboard - latest uefi/bios.

Every time I do a clean install on an SSD somewhere around 5-15 reboots windows seemingly mucks up whatever it needs to boot up and goes into auto repair.
    Auto repair will work once or twice but then it'll fail and I'll be up a creek with no paddling gear.

This happens both for win7 and win8 - Installed from Original Discs with proper codes.

Also at 1st I thought it was my SSD, so I bought two new ones - 1x OCZ and 1x Samsung - still the same.

What REALLY get's me is this.. if I do the same install on an old-fashioned traditional sata2 HD it works a treat..

Am I missing something glaringly obvious?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭colossus-x

Do you have a second HD that you could move the boot loader too. You could use bcdedit to place the bootloader on an normal sata disk and point it to the SSD to boot up the OS. Just a suggestion, not a great fix but it might work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 96 ✭✭muad_dib77

That's a great idea - thanks Colossus.

Did you mean to include a 2nd link?

muad_dib77 wrote: »
    That's a great idea - thanks Colossus.

Did you mean to include a 2nd link?

Actually I've just edited my original post cause I had a better idea although you could try what I originally suggested.

So Bootloader on an oldschool spinny disc type HD - and windows install on an SSD..
    Worth a shot I suppose - not quite sure how I'd go about doing the actual install tho..

Install to old type HD and Migrate windows files but retain boot on org location or install to SSD and Migrate boot... any thought's on how it would work practically?

No you don't have to go to anywhere near that trouble. If you still have your OS installed on your SSD and you can boot into it eventually then all you have to do is boot into your OS on the SSD and then install bcdedit. Then use bcdedit to move the bootloader to your old skool HD. In that case now your SSD with the OS can't boot up by itself becasue the bootloder is now gone. But you have it on the sata HD. So set your bios to boot 1st disk sata HD. It will read the bootloader which then instructs to boot the OS on the SSD. You don't have to reinstall the OS to try this out. Why try this? Because the bootlooder is becoming corrupt on the SSD for some as yet unknown reason but seems to be fine on the sata HD. So it's worth a try. If you haven't used bcdedit before I can further instruct you on it.

• Advertisement

Cool - I thanks.. I didn't get a chance to play around with it yesterday..but should do tonight.
    I've not experienced bcdedit yet ..but I've found this article..

http://www.computerperformance.co.uk/win8/windows8-bcdedit.htm

that seems to be on the right path?

muad_dib77 wrote: »
    Cool - I thanks.. I didn't get a chance to play around with it yesterday..but should do tonight.
    I've not experienced bcdedit yet ..but I've found this article..

http://www.computerperformance.co.uk/win8/windows8-bcdedit.htm

that seems to be on the right path?

Actually no it's called EasyBCD not bcdedit although they both serve the same purpose me thinks. I'll will pm you the link to it. Basically it's good for managing the bootloader where one might have a dual or tipple boot system where when you turn on your pc u will be presented with a screen to select either Windows, Linux or another version of windows ( for example) should you have them installed on various partitions or disks. As I said that actual boot-loader menu system can be placed on any disk you have and that's what your trying to do as it may solver your problem. Be careful with it though , you can easily render you system unbootable if you muck it up leaving you to have to do a windows repair to fix it ! Mind you if you don't experiment you'll never know how it all works. Anyway i'll send you a pm with a link to the program.

Brilliant stuff - thanks a million! I'll let you know how I get on.

Advertisement