Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Germanwings A320 Crash

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,561 ✭✭✭andy_g

keith16 wrote: »
    The Earth is not flat.

No it is flat!! dont fall off, keep on topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭waterways

150 persons are missing and are probably dead. Babies, students, mothers and fathers, loved ones.
    Seven flights from Dusseldorf were cancelled this evening because crews were not available.
    Please stop speculations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44 vevo

sjb25 wrote: »
    I'd rather if I was on a plane in an emergency the flight crew fly the plane rather than be having a conversation with ATC but that's just me
    That conversation with ATC could save a plane having a collision with another plane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,020 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I know it is the Daily Mail, but there are some photos in this article that may help those who know more, to comment on how the debris of the aircraft has fallen, and whether or not that is significant.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3009151/headlines-news-Germanwings-plane-crash-french-alps-crash-Airbus-A320-Barcelonnette-Barcelona-Dusseldorf-francois-hollande-Lufthansa-4U9525.html

Babies and kids too. How tragic. Not that an adult's life is any less worthy, but I'm sure you know what I mean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭RecordStraight

waterways wrote: »
    150 persons are missing and are probably dead. Babies, students, mothers and fathers, loved ones.
    Seven flights from Dusseldorf were cancelled this evening because crews were not available.
    Please stop speculations.
    Why? Because it will have some ill-effect on them? :confused:

There's a thread for platitudes on After Hours. This is a thread for people who are wondering what could have caused the disaster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭martinsvi

vevo wrote: »
    That conversation with ATC could save a plane having a collision with another plane

ATC have software that advises on potential conflicts, and aircraft need to be separated by height and distance anyway, combine that with TCAS and your likelihood of a mid-air collision is practically 0.

https://www.faasafety.gov/gslac/ALC/course_content.aspx?cID=40

I know it is the Daily Mail, but there are some photos in this article that may help those who know more, to comment on how the debris of the aircraft has fallen, and whether or not that is significant.

this been said here many times before - definitely looks like a high speed - high energy impact, so not likely a stall. That's it, nothing else can be drawn out of these pictures. We don't know the size of the debris field, we don't know how far objects have travelled from each other - these details would give us much more information about the last seconds before the disaster

Yes, we all want to know what has caused this disaster but we have not many facts at the moment and there have been fake images and incorrect informations about the route, the pilot and other things been online today.
    My thoughts are with the relatives.

This is a thread for people who are wondering what could have caused the disaster.

nothing wrong with a genuine discussion, but when people start pulling theories out of their behinds, it quickly becomes dirty and disrespectful. Let me remind you that a certain user here proposed a rouge crew-member theory without knowing anyone's name or experience.. how can you accuse some one of murder when you have no proof murder has been committed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 690 ✭✭✭bennyob

Its on primetime now. Former air accident investigator on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭johnny osbourne

was fuer ein scheiss albtraum

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭pfurey101

For those of you hanging onto the "way off track" theory, check out the Dublin - London - Dublin tracks on the various Apps

They mainly are:

1. Direct to Liverpool and then a right turn to the south east to London.

2. Direct to the SOUTH of Wales then a left turn east to London

3. And when the RAF are off for the day (or night) - it's out of London, head west, turn right around Gloucester and head North West through MID Wales for Dublin.

Forget the straight line due to a roundy Earth, restricted airspace or busy air lanes along the way.

Do you know which computers were used onboard this A320?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭RecordStraight

martinsvi wrote: »
    nothing wrong with a genuine discussion, but when people start pulling theories out of their behinds, it quickly becomes dirty and disrespectful. Let me remind you that a certain user here proposed a rouge crew-member theory without knowing anyone's name or experience.. how can you accuse some one of murder when you have no proof murder has been committed?
    The conspiracy theorists have been given short shrift, backed up by mod instruction.

There's nothing wrong with reasoned discussion. I hate this Irish nonsense that 'you can't talk about X' just because...well, for no reason at all actually. Except that someone doesn't want us to talk about it. It's not disrespectful, it's not harmful, and it's not nasty.

If you don't want to read a discussion about this, then stop reading. Don't try to inflict weird values on others.

(this isn't directed at you martinsvi, I totally agree with you regarding the conspiracy theory rubbish)

na ja die fliegen so ein arschh-tyeil, warum nicht, **** diese scwheine und jeeer ,

English only lads...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4 salthillflyer

With all these recent crashes , its a wonder that we havent had a major one here for a long time .

We are well overdue a BIG ONE at this stage ,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

With all these recent crashes , its a wonder that we havent had a major one here for a long time .

Statistically speaking, we're not 'due' anything. It's an unfortunate and tragic random occurrence the probability does not increase simply because something has not happened.

The probability remains extremely low, and does not change simply because something has not occurred. You don't build up more likelihood of failure because you haven't had a failure so far.

All you can do is have the best maintenance, operating procedures, skills and technology possible. It remains an incredibly safe mode of transport.

Bear in mind that the A320 has carried approximately SIX BILLION passengers since its introduction!

There is too much media hype going on around the type of aircraft etc - it's an incredibly safe machine with a record that is beyond reproach.

Unfortunately, due to a highly unusual set of circumstances that we do not yet know yet, an otherwise extremely safe aircraft crashed. It's tragic, and RIP to all those involved, but it does not necessarily mean that there's any kind of issue with the A320, which remains one of the safest transportation machines ever built at any stage in history.

Statically speaking, you're many many times more likely to be killed or injured while walking down your own driveway or staircase than on any modern commercial airliner and the A320 actually has an exemplary safety record, even compared to its peers.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭lfc200

Would a problem with the pitot tubes (frozen, taped over etc) leading to strange readings for airspeed, altitude etc. and subsequently causing potential stall warnings etc be a consideration?

Pilots put the plane into a controlled descent to gain speed, were focused on this and by the time they realised they were too low it was too late?

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭muppet01

Goodbye Troll,
    take your meaningless comments elsewhere. Is the loss of 150 lives not BIG ENOUGH for you.......?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,259 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Don't ever say that. Ever hear of Karma?

• Advertisement

Do you know which computers were used onboard this A320?

We can start with the €350,000 FMGEC Flight Management Guidance and Envelope Computer, to the Primary and Secondary Computers then onto the other 150 or so computers

Here is a list of some - FWIW
    AVNCS EQPT VENT COMPUTER BMC-BLEED MONITORING COMPUTER COMPUTER - FCMS COMPUTER BLEED MONITORING M4 COMPUTER, AEVC COMPUTER, BLEED AIR MONITORING COMPUTER, FCMS COMPUTER, FLIGHT WARNING COMPUTER, PROBE HEAT PHC COMPUTER, WINDOW HEAT COMPUTER-FQI COMPUTER-TCAS DISPLAY MANAGEMENT COMPUTER DMC-DISPLAY MANAGEMENT COMPUTER ELAC-ELEVATOR AILERON COMPUTER ELEVATOR AILERON COMPUTER FAC-FLIGHT AUGMENTATION COMPUTER FCPC-FLIGHT CONTROL PRIMARY COMPUTER FLIGHT AUGMENTATION COMPUTER FLIGHT WARNING COMPUTER FMGEC COMPUTER FWC-FLIGHT WARNING COMPUTER GPWC , GROUND PROX WARNING COMPUTER PHC-PROBES HEAT COMPUTER PROBES HEAT COMPUTER SEC-SPOILER ELEVATOR COMPUTER SFCC- SLAT AND FLAP CONTROL COMPUTER SFCC-SLAT FLAP CONTROL COMPUTER SPOILER ELEVATOR COMPUTER TCAS II COMPUTER WHC-WINDOW HEAT COMPUTER

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4 salthillflyer

its the photo ops that are interesting in a major disaster ,

Some of us make a tidy sum and get excited by such losses

Banned for trolling

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭ohigg84

Excited? Are you serious? This is an awful tragedy, and most of us on hereare all numbed by this.

I feel gutted, what's more I can't believe this has happened, an ex-Lufthansa aircraft, which was well maintained, despite it's 24 year old age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Lockheed

It seems to have had a very stable controlled approach, is it possible that the ILS locked onto some beacon in the alps/ outside the mountains?

What we do know is that it's crashed in France, which is one of the best equipped countries in the world to investigate such an incident. It's also Airbus' home turf! So, you can be 100% sure that whatever happens, it will be extremely throughly and effectively investigated.

They also have recovered the flight recorders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,856 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I'm surprised by the debris field having such small pieces of wreckage if the plane crashed in to the ground intact. If you look at MH71 which was shot down there is much more recognizable plane parts despite the fact it would have been breaking up as it fell from the sky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭VeVeX

Lockheed wrote: »
    It seems to have had a very stable controlled approach, is it possible that the ILS locked onto some beacon in the alps/ outside the mountains?

No.

I'm surprised by the debris field having such small pieces of wreckage if the plane crashed in to the ground intact. If you look at MH71 which was shot down there is much more recognizable plane parts despite the fact it would have been breaking up as it fell from the sky.

It's likely that it hit a rocky, extremely hard mountain at considerable speed. It's very different from almost any other type incident in terms of what it would have done to the aircraft.

There's, unfortunately, no question of any kind of soft landing in an area like that.

• Advertisement

the fúckdogs investors who have a stake in german wings are really upset about this

ja mein bank-balance ist voelling im arsch,

ja.. fick dick und deine bank du scheisss igel fresser , und deine arsch-mutter und so,

rip

Lockheed wrote: »

There have been some cases when pilots lock on VOR rather than ILS on approach, but these guys were not on approach, why would they allow for an aircraft to follow it's descent?
    SpaceTime wrote: »

They also have recovered the flight recorders.

have both of them been recovered? I wonder in what state they are, seeing the debris field I'm starting to doubt they could survive the impact

There have been some cases when pilots lock on VOR rather than ILS on approach, but these guys were not on approach, why would they allow for an aircraft to follow it's descent?

have both of them been recovered? I wonder in what state they are, seeing the debris field I'm starting to doubt they could survive the impact

All we know is that the Interior Ministry has said that they've found 'at least one' of the boxes.
    It remains unclear.

excuses excuses,

quelle surprise :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

Consider the speed it was travelling at at the time of impact with the mountain. Consider also that it probably would have had at least 10 tonnes of fuel on board. It isn't at all surprising to me that the aircraft disintegrated. It's just physics.

SpaceTime wrote: »
    All we know is that the Interior Ministry has said that they've found 'at least one' of the boxes.
    It remains unclear.

te interior minstry, what a shower of flowers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

the fúckdogs investors who have a stake in german wings are really upset about this

ja mein bank-balance ist voelling im arsch,

ja.. fick dick und deine bank du scheisss igel fresser , und deine arsch-mutter und so,

rip

Will you stop posting German please

that's exactly how it should look like. If you blow up a plane in mid air - debris are not aerodynamic, nor driven, thus they only fall down at pretty much 1G

if the plane crashes with speed, perhaps even with nose down, your G's of impact go way up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭ProfessorPlum

Synode wrote: »

It's not German - It's just gibberish. This thread is really attracting the gimps tonight.

Fixed that for you.

sorry syn , however i predictded this catastrophe with germen wings and air-berlin, but nobody listens,

i bail out,

rip teh passengers

• Advertisement

It's not German - It's just gibberish. This thread is really attracting the gimps tonight.

agreed. I'm out - unsubscribed! Enjoy your madness, trolls!

pfurey101 wrote: »
    We can start with the €350,000 FMGEC Flight Management Guidance and Envelope Computer, to the Primary and Secondary Computers then onto the other 150 or so computers

Here is a list of some - FWIW
    AVNCS EQPT VENT COMPUTER BMC-BLEED MONITORING COMPUTER COMPUTER - FCMS COMPUTER BLEED MONITORING M4 COMPUTER, AEVC COMPUTER, BLEED AIR MONITORING COMPUTER, FCMS COMPUTER, FLIGHT WARNING COMPUTER, PROBE HEAT PHC COMPUTER, WINDOW HEAT COMPUTER-FQI COMPUTER-TCAS DISPLAY MANAGEMENT COMPUTER DMC-DISPLAY MANAGEMENT COMPUTER ELAC-ELEVATOR AILERON COMPUTER ELEVATOR AILERON COMPUTER FAC-FLIGHT AUGMENTATION COMPUTER FCPC-FLIGHT CONTROL PRIMARY COMPUTER FLIGHT AUGMENTATION COMPUTER FLIGHT WARNING COMPUTER FMGEC COMPUTER FWC-FLIGHT WARNING COMPUTER GPWC , GROUND PROX WARNING COMPUTER PHC-PROBES HEAT COMPUTER PROBES HEAT COMPUTER SEC-SPOILER ELEVATOR COMPUTER SFCC- SLAT AND FLAP CONTROL COMPUTER SFCC-SLAT FLAP CONTROL COMPUTER SPOILER ELEVATOR COMPUTER TCAS II COMPUTER WHC-WINDOW HEAT COMPUTER

Do you know the model of the FMGEC used in the plane and when it was replaced?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 821 ✭✭✭eatmyshorts

sorry syn , however i predictded this catastrophe with germen wings and air-berlin, but nobody listens,

i bail out,

rip teh passengers

Good riddance.

Dont backseat mod please, report the post instead.

I love flowers in my face <snip> original post changed for more color.

Do you know the model of the FMGEC used in the plane and when it was replaced?

Really? Unless he works within German Wings or Lufthansa engineering, I highly doubt it. Why do you even want to know this? Is there an AD pertaining to a particular FMGEC?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭MillField

keith16 wrote: »
    The Earth is not flat.

Thanks for clearing that up.

I love flowers in my face <snip> original post changed for more color.

Banned for trolling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,259 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Will this spell an end for the brand "German Wings"? Id imagine Lufthansa will be very quick to rebrand it Eurowings or even something different.

pfurey101 wrote: »
    For those of you hanging onto the "way off track" theory, check out the Dublin - London - Dublin tracks on the various Apps

They mainly are:

1. Direct to Liverpool and then a right turn to the south east to London.

2. Direct to the SOUTH of Wales then a left turn east to London

3. And when the RAF are off for the day (or night) - it's out of London, head west, turn right around Gloucester and head North West through MID Wales for Dublin.

Forget the straight line due to a roundy Earth, restricted airspace or busy air lanes along the way.

Also, this appears to be it's flight plan!

344p1cp.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement