Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Bike stolen, what should I get next

• 24-03-2015 12:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭

So the story goes, moved to Dublin for work placement. Bike was stolen from my apartments underground parking on Sunday. Have conceded she's gone or busted up somewhere so im thinking about my next 2 wheeled companion. I commute every day so I wont be sitting on my hands long.

My History is a 2002 125cc Vara & 2000 Suzkui gs500e.

My first thought was to go the bandit route seems like good solid bike, they also seem like they turn on a dime in traffic etc.But I have always wanted a sport bike too like a gsxr which wouldn't be as good in traffic but I would jizz myself every time I looked at it:P

Budget is kinda unknown at the moment its going to be between 3000- 3500 depending on what the insurance pay out for the bikes value. I would also like to try come up a few years on age too instead of sticking with 15 year old bikes.

Any opinions welcome

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,087 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Whatever you do, buy a decent chain and lock, and a good disk lock.

When i say decent i mean actually decent not 12mm. 18mm would be great and lock it to something.

Best of luck with the search. If all your riding is commuting tbh, Get something comfortable with good visibility and good handling.

(bandit)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Sorry to hear that, the amount of bikes getting stolen is just incredible especially underground car parks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

listermint wrote: »
    Whatever you do, buy a decent chain and lock, and a good disk lock.

When i say decent i mean actually decent not 12mm. 18mm would be great and lock it to something.

Best of luck with the search. If all your riding is commuting tbh, Get something comfortable with good visibility and good handling.

(bandit)

Lesson learned lock everything to everything :pac: See thats my thinking too but then we all have those days where you just want something to tear the road up. can a bandit do that?

Doylers wrote: »
    Lesson learned lock everything to everything :pac: See thats my thinking too but then we all have those days where you just want something to tear the road up. can a bandit do that?

Pretty much all bikes with any reasonable power to weight can do that.

Question is do you want transport or do you want an object to be nicked again.

If theives covet something a bit more they will do extra to get it.

But yes lock everything to something and make sure the locks are quality. Its about slowing people down rather than stopping them fullstop. Thats probably not possible for most.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

Pretty much all bikes with any reasonable power to weight can do that.

Question is do you want transport or do you want an object to be nicked again.

If theives covet something a bit more they will do extra to get it.

But yes lock everything to something and make sure the locks are quality. Its about slowing people down rather than stopping them fullstop. Thats probably not possible for most.

Precisely. I don't know much about bikes so can't offer much advice but a made had a disc lock on the front wheel, massive steel chain around the rear wheel and arm and four lads just picked it up, horsed it into the back of a pickup and drove off with it. I mean what can you do with that? :(
    Would underground parking owners permit a ground anchor?

• Advertisement

Precisely. I don't know much about bikes so can't offer much advice but a made had a disc lock on the front wheel, massive steel chain around the rear wheel and arm and four lads just picked it up, horsed it into the back of a pickup and drove off with it. I mean what can you do with that? :(

Some will, some wont. Its about asking :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Ayrtonf7

Sorry to hear about the bike OP!

There is always a silver lining though and at least you get to buy a new bike :D

Totally get what your saying, but think of how many days you'd spend commuting as opposed to those days were you can let loose!

Id go for the bandit unless I had a garage to hide the GSXR away! For a start its more than likely going to be cheaper than the GSXR, parts are easier to come by and probably cheaper (obviously depends on the part), cheaper insurance bracket, easier to customise with luggage etc,

Ground anchor is a good idea but i'm only in Dublin for a few months. Theres several bikes in the car park might say it to one of the guys to lock our bikes together and each have a key.

For now till I leave Dublin it will be commuting bike, then for a year it will be a sunny day and when I get the urge to get out bike. The commuter when I move back up here in 2016.

I'm finding it tuff to find a bandit I like that falls inside my price bracket. I'd like to get the 650(k6?) version but cant find them for under 4k around.

Anyone every deal with a claim though the RSA ?

Ground anchor is a good idea but i'm only in Dublin for a few months. Theres several bikes in the car park might say it to one of the guys to lock our bikes together and each have a key.

For now till I leave Dublin it will be commuting bike, then for a year it will be a sunny day and when I get the urge to get out bike. The commuter when I move back up here in 2016.

I'm finding it tuff to find a bandit I like that falls inside my price bracket. I'd like to get the 650(k6?) version but cant find them for under 4k around.

Anyone every deal with a clam though the RSA ?

Careful there may be a pearl inside.

Careful there may be a pearl inside.

You had to be that guy didnt you :P:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭fatbast

I just took a deposit on my k6 650 bandit at 2900. 20k miles good nick. If sale doesn't happen will get back to you. Sorry to hear about your loss seems to be a bit of an epidemic in thievery at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭paulieeye

I put a wall anchor on the wall of my rented house and painted it the same colour as the wall, you'd never even notice it. ;) If I asked to put it up, wouldnt of been surprised if they said no.

something like this..
    http://www.bikermart.co.uk/ground_anchor.asp

edit..you just need a heavy duty drill...you can rent one for €15 if you cant get hold of one

fatbast wrote: »
    I just took a deposit on my k6 650 bandit at 2900. 20k miles good nick. If sale doesn't happen will get back to you. Sorry to hear about your loss seems to be a bit of an epidemic in thievery at the moment

Yeah by all means drop me a mail if it doesn't go though!

paulieeye wrote: »
    I put a wall anchor on the wall of my rented house and painted it the same colour as the wall, you'd never even notice it. ;) If I asked to put it up, wouldnt of been surprised if they said no.

something like this..

edit..you just need a heavy duty drill...you can rent one for €15 if you cant get hold of one

See its an underground carpark, anything I did would be noticed and then theres the issue of power sockets for a drill. If it was beside the apartment I would do it in a heartbeat, might even look at keep the next one by the rear door and fitting an anchor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

If you and the other bikers in the apartment block use chains, you can loop them through each other, preventing the bikes from being physically lifted yet each person can unlock their own bike.
    What about an SV650S - sporty looks but comfortable riding position?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Simona1986 wrote: »
    Friend of mine is selling a very tidy black 2005 SV650S with less than 20K on it for sale.

PM if interested ;)

2005_sv650s_K5_black_500.jpg

Simona1986 wrote: »
    If you and the other bikers in the apartment block use chains, you can loop them through each other, preventing the bikes from being physically lifted yet each person can unlock their own bike.

Looking at them now, nice little yoke alright. Some decent prices on done deal too! Definitely a contender, thank you sir

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

paulieeye wrote: »

something like this..

A wall anchor? Not sure how an anchor would be better in the wall than the ground, aside from the damage its likely to do, I'd have thought bolted to the ground would give a better and more solid hold, what's the wall? Not cavity?
    Easier to cover up a few holes in the ground, or for them not be a concern, as a bike owner and landlord I'd be pretty pissed off if someone did that, whereas if it was in the ground I wouldn't be bothered. Still think it would be more secure in the ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

can loop the chain taut, so the ground cant be used as leverage with a bolt cutter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

I have a Datatool S4 alarm/immobiliser fitted to my bike & use an Oxford Boss alarm disc lock for the front end & an Almax chain & Mammoth lock combo for the rear.

I also use a set of these attached to my swing-arm with a ground anchor...

8290DPS_500.jpg

Make it as hard for them as you can & they might just move on to easier pickings.

• Advertisement

I bought some new kit there last night.

Oxford XL chain

Xena-10-disc-lock-with-alarm

Beefing up security for the next bike anyway. Have a few contenders in mind, so lets see what happens :D Might just hire a security guy to stand beside the bike :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭Bandito909

Can you let us know how you get on with that zena alarm disc lock?

I was going to order one but afraid it would keep going off under my bike's cover in the wind. I've more locks on my bike now than Fort Knox, but no harm is adding another!

Bandito909 wrote: »
    Can you let us know how you get on with that zena alarm disc lock?

I was going to order one but afraid it would keep going off under my bike's cover in the wind. I've more locks on my bike now than Fort Knox, but no harm is adding another!

I can indeed sir! Hopefully it lives up to the reviews. Apparently if you put it at the 6 o'clock position on the disk its less sensitive vs putting it a 12 o'clock where its more sensitive :eek:

I bought some new kit there last night.

Oxford XL chain

Xena-10-disc-lock-with-alarm

Beefing up security for the next bike anyway. Have a few contenders in mind, so lets see what happens :D Might just hire a security guy to stand beside the bike :pac:

I have the Xena,

Cracking lock. I have had it 6 months or so and it works a charm. Battery is original and it still makes a piercing noise if the bike is moved at all. I would buy it again.

Only thing i can say is dont drop it on the ground after you take it off as the alarm tends to go off loudly and malfunction until you remove the battery unit totally and reinsert.

Basically try not to drop it.

I would have gone for a larger chain than 12mm OP 16mm minimum. Oxfords unfortunately do not have a good rep either. Check out the youtube videos of people testing bike locks.

Poor viewing tbh.

I have the Xena,

Cracking lock. I have had it 6 months or so and it works a charm. Battery is original and it still makes a piercing noise if the bike is moved at all. I would buy it again.

Only thing i can say is dont drop it on the ground after you take it off as the alarm tends to go off loudly and malfunction until you remove the battery unit totally and reinsert.

Basically try not to drop it.

I would have gone for a larger chain than 12mm OP 16mm minimum. Oxfords unfortunately do not have a good rep either. Check out the youtube videos of people testing bike locks.

Poor viewing tbh.

I saw a fair few vids on youtube and alot of chains were being cut like the oxford. The plan here though is to keep the chain at all times where possible off the ground, which I think removes leverage and mitigates the chance of it being cut easily(ex power tools).

I'm trying to get what I can within my means, definitely though I will buy another lock at some stage once I'm not being hit by new bike costs, insurance hikes, etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,369 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

When I lived in an apartment I never parked in the underground, I always parked under my front window and locked it to the railings with a decent chain

Whether you can do that depends on the management agent, but an underground car park is like paradise to a criminal.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,347 ✭✭✭✭endacl

See its an underground carpark, anything I did would be noticed and then theres the issue of power sockets for a drill. If it was beside the apartment I would do it in a heartbeat, might even look at keep the next one by the rear door and fitting an anchor

An alternative to a ground anchor is a metal bucket or two filled with concrete. Embed one end of a length of chain into the concrete and use that to lock the bike. Not quite as secure as a ground anchor, but heavy. And really bloody awkward to lift along with a bike.

endacl wrote: »
    An alternative to a ground anchor is a metal bucket or two filled with concrete. Embed one end of a length of chain into the concrete and use that to lock the bike. Not quite as secure as a ground anchor, but heavy. And really bloody awkward to lift along with a bike.

You could smash that by lifting it and dropping it. Unless you use some binding agent and not simple concrete. Would need fibre to add tensile strength

You could smash that by lifting it and dropping it. Unless you use some binding agent and not simple concrete. Would need fibre to add tensile strength

Now were just getting complicated :pac::pac: The plan is to use railings if at all possible, wait until I see the new chain etc.

• Advertisement

Went to see a 650sv last night, lovely bike its the 2007 model, but has lower fairings aswell. Didnt go for a ride way to windy and I wasn't getting on a bike that was new to me. Heading out tomorrow hopefully and if she rides as good as she looks( theirs a first time for everything) I'll be taking it.

I checked the car park out last night, I'll maybe buy a second chain to look around the one I bought to give me the length to lock it to railings. Might be the best bet

Advertisement