Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Investors ruining chances for First Time Buyers - regulations?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭stevedublin

Graham wrote: »
    That's what appears to upset some people.

Not true - what upsets people is that cash investors are getting preference over ordinary citizens who have to work for a living and get a mortgage to buy their own home.
    (even where the cash investors pay less for the same property)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Not true - what upsets people is that cash investors are getting preference over ordinary citizens who have to work for a living and get a mortgage to buy their own home.
    (even where the cash investors pay less for the same property)

What's happening is sellers have the freedom to set their own criteria when comparing offers. Sounds perfectly reasonable to me.

I can't help that think some of the posters who are upset with this would have an entirely different outlook if they were selling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭The Spider

What's happening is sellers have the freedom to set their own criteria when comparing offers. Sounds perfectly reasonable to me.

I can't help that think some of the posters who are upset with this would have an entirely different outlook if they were selling.

Yup, they sure would I can't see anyone being prepared to wait possibly six months for a sale they could have that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭lima

It's not their fault as sellers are money hungry when they are selling. If I was selling a property I would prefer to sell to a FTB over an old investor person and would probably take the risk that their finance will come through

But as a societal issue it is concerning when young people, with jobs and just starting out on their own, cannot get an opportunity due to speculators who themselves got an extra hand in terms of things like children's allowance, MIR, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭The Spider

lima wrote: »
    It's not their fault as sellers are money hungry when they are selling. If I was selling a property I would prefer to sell to a FTB over an old investor person and would probably take the risk that their finance will come through

Yeah sure you would :rolleyes: what if you were looking to buy or trade up, and the only way you can do that is sell your current place as quickly as possible, or your target property may be bought by someone else.

Sorry don't buy it for a second, if you were trading up or down you'd look to secure the biggest sale immediately.

• Advertisement

It's not their fault as sellers are money hungry when they are selling. If I was selling a property I would prefer to sell to a FTB over an old investor person and would probably take the risk that their finance will come through.

It is good that we live in a society where you have the freedom to make that choice.
    But as a societal issue it is concerning when young people, with jobs and just starting out on their own, cannot get an opportunity

Fair point, we should be looking at how to increase supply to address that.

due to speculators who themselves got an extra hand in terms of things like children's allowance, MIR, etc.
    I don't think it would be unfair to say that's a bit of a stretch.

The Spider wrote: »
    Yeah sure you would :rolleyes: what if you were looking to buy or trade up, and the only way you can do that is sell your current place as quickly as possible, or your target property may be bought by someone else.

Sorry don't buy it for a second, if you were trading up or down you'd look to secure the biggest sale immediately.

Ok if you were in a chain I guess so

I'm not saying that sellers can be told what to do, but something could be done to distort the distorted market to level it out so that the people who need help get help over people just in it for the $$$

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭NewDirection

Why does the state give incentives for having children and getting married? Something to do with looking after the people?

Why does the state stop short of giving incentives for citizens looking for their first home?

It's a little bit inconsistent and sad to see. Perhaps there should be some incentives for people purchasing their first PPR and more tax for investors.

Capitalism doesn't come into play in other aspects of housing (lack or repossessions) so why should it come into play in an area that disadvantages young people?
    The state does give incentives to citizens looking for their first home.

The argument is A: 'person with mortgage' vs B: 'cash buyer' when buying a house.

You seem to intermittently call group A FTBer and group B investor to suit your argument. In reality investors and FTBers are going to both be in group A (ie. taking out mortgages).

If I was selling a house, I wouldn't see a difference between cash buyer or mortgage approved buyer as long as I had confidence that they were approved. The only group I'd be wary of is the second time buyer who's waiting to sell their own house. They are also citizens of the state and in a worse position that FTBer, but nobody is suggesting they should get help from the state.

I'm not saying that sellers can be told what to do, but something could be done to distort the distorted market to level it out so that the people who need help get help over people just in it for the $$$

What happens to the renters who would have lived in the investment properties without the intervention of your anti-distortion distortions? Why should renters suffer because someone is wealthy enough to buy a property? That hardly sounds fair.

I don't think it would be unfair to say that's a bit of a stretch.

It's true though, every viewing I went to last year was 90% full of 60+ grey haired middle class investors and 10% Google employees.. oh and the odd farmer bidding during the viewing!

• Advertisement

It's true though, every viewing I went to last year was 90% full of 60+ grey haired middle class investors and 10% Google employees.. oh and the odd farmer bidding during the viewing!

And who's to say the 60+ grey haired middle class buyers hadn't just downsized, thereby freeing up a family home to the market?

But if you distort the market to make it more expensive for investors to buy houses, you only drive up rent prices.
    More expensive investments mean less properties are being bought to rent. Less supply in the rental market drives up prices, until the point at which the investor can overcome the distorted government costs and make the investment profitable again.

Just leave the market regulate itself and you get a good steady rent to house value relationship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

This forum really does prove again and again that for 95% of the people that post here, all a 'functioning market' means is a market that provides them with exactly what they want at a given time in their lives.

The state does give incentives to citizens looking for their first home.

The argument is A: 'person with mortgage' vs B: 'cash buyer' when buying a house.

You seem to intermittently call group A FTBer and group B investor to suit your argument. In reality investors and FTBers are going to both be in group A (ie. taking out mortgages).

If I was selling a house, I wouldn't see a difference between cash buyer or mortgage approved buyer as long as I had confidence that they were approved. The only group I'd be wary of is the second time buyer who's waiting to sell their own house. They are also citizens of the state and in a worse position that FTBer, but nobody is suggesting they should get help from the state.

They already have a house, not sure if that's a worse position

I would guess that the majority of investors have cash and the majority of FTB's have mortgages

I would guess that the majority of investors have cash and the majority of FTB's have mortgages

I would guess the majority of good investors have mortgages so that they can use the interest payments to reduce their tax burden. But don't let that ruin your nice simple black & white narrative.

And who's to say the 60+ grey haired middle class buyers hadn't just downsized, thereby freeing up a family home to the market?

Perhaps, but we just don't know.

I'm not sure that the huge amount of cash buyers from last year all traded down. Especially when you think about how houseproud Irish people are.

I would guess the majority of good investors have mortgages so that they can use the interest payments to reduce their tax burden. But don't let that ruin your nice simple black & white narrative.

No, I'm not going to let your guess ruin my narrative!

Worse position in the eyes of the seller. i.e the seller would go for a FTBer with mortgage approval over a second time buyer waiting to sell a house nearly 100% of the time

But if you distort the market to make it more expensive for investors to buy houses, you only drive up rent prices.
    More expensive investments mean less properties are being bought to rent. Less supply in the rental market drives up prices, until the point at which the investor can overcome the distorted government costs and make the investment profitable again.

Just leave the market regulate itself and you get a good steady rent to house value relationship.

The FTB's that buy property will move out of a rental and free up a rental property for someone else

The FTB's that buy property will move out of a rental and free up a rental property for someone else

Another assumption. The FTBer could well have been living at home / house sharing up to this point.

• Advertisement

Another assumption. The FTBer could well have been living at home / house sharing up to this point.

Perhaps, but that is also an assumption

I'm not sure that the huge amount of cash buyers from last year all traded down. Especially when you think about how houseproud Irish people are.

I'm not going to let your guess ruin my narrative, they downsized and now a family with 4 small children are living happily in their new 4 bed house. The starter house they moved out of was bought by investors and is now rented by a working couple who live there happily with their baby. :D

I'm not going to let your guess ruin my narrative, they downsized and now a family with 4 small children are living happily in their new 4 bed house. The starter house they moved out of was bought by investors and is now rented by a working couple who live there happily with their baby. :D

Very good.

How many instances of this do you think happened amongst all of the cash purchases last year?

Very good.

How many instances of this do you think happened amongst all of the cash purchases last year?

I'm not going to start guessing, there's more than enough of that already in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Icepick

ardmacha wrote: »
    Means testing the bus pass will have feck all effect on the housing market.
    that's a silly simplification

The tax exemptions and all the benefits add up to a lot over the average length of retirement.
    Also, there should be a natural pressure to trade down from a family house (in sought after areas), which is not happening because of the generous benefits. So the system has a very obvious and direct effect on the housing market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

I am aware of a number of middle class grey haired 60 something's who have traded down to an apartment to reduce property maintenance overheads, improved security , while they spend much of their time in their holiday homes in Spain during the winter. Horses for courses!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

Is it just grey haired small time investors people are peeved at? That seems ridiculous, if you want a target go after the huge real estate trusts buying up blocks. Or would that ruin the ageist narrative going on here?

Not necessarily. Some of the middle class silver haired 60somethings when downsizing have also helped their offspring finance their first property!

MouseTail wrote: »
    Is it just grey haired small time investors people are peeved at? That seems ridiculous, if you want a target go after the huge real estate trusts buying up blocks. Or would that ruin the ageist narrative going on here?

It certainly appears to be the case on this thread! At least the grey haired middle class are investing the money in Ireland.

Perhaps people need to face facts, the housing market is taking on the image of our European cousins. In France and Germany it is quite common for people to rent a property on a long term lease. This has been brought
    about by the involvement of large commercial institutions who buy up large numbers of properties to lease out.

Historically Ireland has an obsession with property ownership. Things are about to change due to market forces

• Advertisement

MouseTail wrote: »

See here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=94811022&postcount=3

Advertisement