Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend me a repair centre

Options
  • 24-03-2015 3:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭

Howdy people

My laptop is running a bit worse for wear, being 3 years old, and a mountain of files and what not on it, also the charge port is disconnecting itself from time to time, I want to overhaul it a bit but I dont want to drop it to some guy on the side of the street, so can you guys point me in the direction of a "reputable" repair shop? I'm thinking of throwing it into the lads in stephens green beside wildcat ink, or theres another one in trinity college, other than that I wouldn't trust most of them to do the job, but maybe you can change my opinion on that

Anyway, any help is appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

A lot of fixes can be done yourself, as they are just software.

Clear start up items to speed up the laptop,
    Run Ccleaner to clean rubbish and perhaps improve preformance.
    Remove applications that aren't used.
    Defrag the disk provided it isn't an SSD.

As for the charger port, probably best not to go down the DIY route there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

A lot of fixes can be done yourself, as they are just software.

Clear start up items to speed up the laptop,
    Run Ccleaner to clean rubbish and perhaps improve preformance.
    Remove applications that aren't used.
    Defrag the disk provided it isn't an SSD.

As for the charger port, probably best not to go down the DIY route there.

I have done all that, it still runs like a bag of sh*te :o

• Registered Users Posts: 44 myrscossie

Sometimes when the harddrive is failing a laptop will get very slow you could download and install CrystalDiskinfo and it will tell you if the harddrive is good or bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

myrscossie wrote: »
    Sometimes when the harddrive is failing a laptop will get very slow you could download and install CrystalDiskinfo and it will tell you if the harddrive is good or bad.

Good call there. Hard disk failure often manifests itself with exceptionally slow performance.

TP, there's great deals on SSDs on Amazon and the likes at the minute, under 100 of a 256GB one. Definitely worth considering. It would make any laptop turn into a rocket ship compared to a standard hard disk.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,436 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

How much RAM is in your system? If it is just 2GB, an upgrade to 4GB can do wonders. It's a very easy (and cheap) DIY job.

Or back up your files, and do a factory install. Or if you are braver - do a clean install (of your own OS or easier - Windows 10 Technical Preview) :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

Good call there. Hard disk failure often manifests itself with exceptionally slow performance.

TP, there's great deals on SSDs on Amazon and the likes at the minute, under 100 of a 256GB one. Definitely worth considering. It would make any laptop turn into a rocket ship compared to a standard hard disk.

I have been looking at ssds alright! but the ol debts are racking up yknow? cheers for the advice though lads :)
    unkel wrote: »
    How much RAM is in your system? If it is just 2GB, an upgrade to 4GB can do wonders. It's a very easy (and cheap) DIY job.

Or back up your files, and do a factory install. Or if you are braver - do a clean install (of your own OS or easier - Windows 10 Technical Preview) :)

I've 16 gb and windows 8 professional :)

Advertisement