Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

UK Driving License

• 24-03-2015 3:20pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 295 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

I'm considering getting a 125 to run me around - I am almost 30 years old and have had a UK full driving license for about 13 years and when I was 16 I did my CBT in the UK (Compulsory Basic Training) on a 50cc moped. A Year later I passed my driving test first time. Never bothered with the bikes any more because for one it got stolen and a couple of years later I drove in a car.

Wondering if I am able to use this license to ride a bike up to 125 over here?

Cheers for your help,

Matt

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

I wouldn't think so. Category AM covers up to 50cc, and A1 up to 125cc. What entitlement does your UK license show for bikes, if any?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 295 ✭✭mattaiuseire

jimgoose wrote: »
    I wouldn't think so. Category AM covers up to 50cc, and A1 up to 125cc. What entitlement does your UK license show for bikes, if any?

I'll check my licence and let you know shortly but I'm pretty sure on the back of it there is a category that relates to engines up to 125cc... could be wrong though!

Ok so I've checked it and I can use:

A and AM which I've googled and found that in the UK:

A is: You can drive:

motorbikes with a power output more than 35kW or a power to weight ratio more than 0.2kW/kg
    motor tricycles with a power output more than 15kW

AM is:

You can drive 2-wheeled vehicles with a maximum design speed of over 25km/h (15.5mph) but not more than 45km/h (28mph).

This category also includes light quad bikes with:

unladen mass of not more than 350kg (not including batteries if it’s an electric vehicle)
    maximum design speed of over 25km/h (15.5mph) but not more than 45km/h (28mph)

So obviously I can't just pick up a 125 and jump on it. Can someone please direct me what I will need to do from now?

Thanks.

...So obviously I can't just pick up a 125 and jump on it. Can someone please direct me what I will need to do from now?

Thanks.

Um, if you have a full "A" on your license you can ride anything from a Cub 50 to a Goldwing! Happy days! :D

But I've never taken a bike test I've only ever done car theory and car practical and just the basic training on a 50cc moped...

• Advertisement

Ahhh... just noticed that I have a code next to it 79(tri) which apparently means I can only ride a trike.

So where do I start if I want to pick up a 125, do I need to apply for an Irish licence?

Ahhh... just noticed that I have a code next to it 79(tri) which apparently means I can only ride a trike.

So where do I start if I want to pick up a 125, do I need to apply for an Irish licence?

Oh arse. That means you'll have to start from scratch, with the theory test, learner permit and IBT.

Arse indeed!!

Very confusing this... just on the NDLS website and I don't know where to start, too many options, do i choose brand new application, add a category to an existing..?!

If I applied for a new driving car licence I would have to take a car test in order to get the Irish licence right? Even though I can already drive with my UK licence.

Or am I just applying for a motorbike licence and having to go through the theory and basic training etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Arse indeed!!

Very confusing this... just on the NDLS website and I don't know where to start, too many options, do i choose brand new application, add a category to an existing..?!

If I applied for a new driving car licence I would have to take a car test in order to get the Irish licence right? Even though I can already drive with my UK licence.

Or am I just applying for a motorbike licence and having to go through the theory and basic training etc?

I'd say you're best off swapping your UK license for an Irish one, then getting a learner for category A separately. Then when you pass your test you add the A to your full irish license.

Thank you and do you think it is as simple as just swapping the licence? Like will they not make me do another practical?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 216 ✭✭Roadcraft

Thank you and do you think it is as simple as just swapping the licence? Like will they not make me do another practical?

You can swap your UK car licence for an Irish one, no test required.

Thank you guys you're shamazing.

I wonder if you know - what about endorsements on the UK licence, surely they wouldn't be able to transfer them?

I wonder if you know - what about endorsements on the UK licence, surely they wouldn't be able to transfer them?

This is Ireland. Say nattin' bah! ;)

No, seriously, I don't believe so. But sure plough on regardless.

Yes, they can not transfer endorsements or penalty points that you got on your UK licence, but if you where banned for (eg. drink driving) on your UK licence they would not issue an Irish licence.

Oh no I only have 6 points for speeding but I think 3 should be dropping off any time now if i was to ask the DVLA in the UK.

I have it on good authority that I can't get points endorsed on a UK licence in Ireland and vice-versa so was always going to keep my licence UK style... but I suppose it isn't practical.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭DubVelo

I think you could keep your UK car license and apply for a new bike license here separately.
    Don't see any reason why not and not sure what advantage you'd gain by exchanging it.

DubVelo wrote: »
    I think you could keep your UK car license and apply for a new bike license here separately.
    Don't see any reason why not and not sure what advantage you'd gain by exchanging it.

It's a good point - can anybody answer this?

You dont have to change your UK licence if it is still valid.
    Do your theory test for a bike & apply for a category 'A' learner permit (unrestricted category), complete IBT & off you go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Roadcraft wrote: »
    Do your theory test for a bike & apply for a category 'A' learner permit (unrestricted category), complete IBT & off you go.

As a matter of interest Roadcraft are the examiners on bikes now or are they still following in a car?

Roadcraft wrote: »

Thank you.

Maybe I'd be better exchanging my driving licence anyway because I've lived here for a couple of years now city centre Dublin so not really needed a car, but thinking about getting one soon, so insurance quotes might be cheaper if I've got the Irish licence.

• Advertisement

Faith+1 wrote: »
    As a matter of interest Roadcraft are the examiners on bikes now or are they still following in a car?

Mostly bike to bike, but still using cars at some test centres.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Vologda69

Yes you do not have to exchange until you pass your bike test in Ireland. And while insurance companies are not supposed to penalise drivers with EU licences, they do. So expect a jacked up premium as no penalty points can be applied to these licences.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭DubVelo

Vologda69 wrote: »
    Yes you do not have to exchange until you pass your bike test in Ireland. And while insurance companies are not supposed to penalise drivers with EU licences, they do. So expect a jacked up premium as no penalty points can be applied to these licences.

But the OP's UK car license has nothing to do with an Irish bike learner permit. Why would you have to exchange a non-Irish car license when you pass an Irish bike test...?

You could easily get speculative quotes with EU vs Irish car license and see if they really do try to charge you more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

If you where ever an naughty driver in Ireland and got a fine with your UK licence all the penalty points you've acquired will be added to you new Irish licence.

AFAIK they still don't carry across penalty points, are endorsements the same in the UK as they can be different here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Vologda69

DubVelo wrote: »
    But the OP's UK car license has nothing to do with an Irish bike learner permit. Why would you have to exchange a non-Irish car license when you pass an Irish bike test...?

You could easily get speculative quotes with EU vs Irish car license and see if they really do try to charge you more.

Im afraid you are misinformed. OP will have to register his UK licence in order to get the permit with NDLS. When he passes the full bike test he will have no choice but to exchange his UK car licence or NDLS will not issue a full bike licence on its own. MTO days of holding two full licences in different categories are gone. RSA will confirm same.

What do you mean by register my UK licence? You mean I would have to exchange it for an Irish one and then apply for a permit to learn anything over 50cc? So confused with this so thank you all for your help!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Vologda69 wrote: »
    Im afraid you are misinformed. OP will have to register his UK licence in order to get the permit with NDLS. When he passes the full bike test he will have no choice but to exchange his UK car licence or NDLS will not issue a full bike licence on its own. MTO days of holding two full licences in different categories are gone. RSA will confirm same.

/high fives
    You mean I would have to exchange it for an Irish one

Nope.
    What do you mean by register my UK licence?

Literally that. You can apply for any or all of the A categories (assuming you don't have those categories on your UK licence- I will try to find out about the 79 notation, I'm not sure it means what you think it means, it's ringing a bell), you will have to declare on the D201 form that you have a UK licence and you will have to bring it with you to the NDLS. They will register that you have a foreign licence and the foreign entitlements that you have- if you have a foreign group 2 entitlement for example, you can't apply for the same learner category here.

In your case, you will be issued a learner permit for the A's and in the event you go on to pass your test you must then exchange the foreign licence and submit your cert of competency for your new Irish entitlements (A's) and you will be issued a licence with your UK and Irish full entitlements. The foreign entitlements will bear the code 70 denoting that they were earned abroad.

Ok so... I need to apply for a learner biker permit face to face to at the NDLS and take my full UK licence with me. They will give me back my UK licence so I can continue to use that to drive a car, and issie me with a biker learner permit? And once the bike test is passed I will need to give up my UK licence for them to issue me with the Irish licence which will include my new A group?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Ok so... I need to apply for a learner biker permit face to face to at the NDLS and take my full UK licence with me. They will give me back my UK licence so I can continue to use that to drive a car, and issie me with a biker learner permit? And once the bike test is passed I will need to give up my UK licence for them to issue me with the Irish licence which will include my new A group?

Yup :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Don't forget the paper bit if you have a CC type licence

Advertisement