Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heathrow stopover and preclearence

Options
  • 24-03-2015 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭

I am flying Dublin-Newark through Heathrow from ebooker/gotogate but have a few questions.

Can I preclear in Dublin?
    Will I have to collect my bags after the Dublin-Heathrow or are they handled by airport?
    The stopover time is about 90-100 minutes, is this enough for Heathrow?

Any help will be much appreciated?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

You will clear immigration in Newark I think, bags should be forwarded if it is just one booking so no need to collect and recheck. That should be enough time to make your connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭yew_tree

You cant't pre-clear in Dublin when going via another country. You will do that at Newark in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

which airline (s) ? If it's all on the one ticket your bags will be tagged to EWR. Immigration and Customs first arrival point in US in this case, Newark because you will not pre-clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭fungie

which airline (s) ? If it's all on the one ticket your bags will be tagged to EWR. Immigration and Customs first arrival point in US in this case, Newark because you will not pre-clear.

flying multiple airlines. BA, Virgin, Aer lingus.

bit confused here - are you flying dublin - lhr with BA, lhr - Ewr with Virgin? If so you will need to collect bags and recheck as BA and Virgin do not interline.

90 is the minimum connecting time if this is your itinerary: you will arrive T5 and depart T3

Its not a timescale I would be comfortable with seeing as you will have to retrieve and recheck bags assuming your flights are as assumed. I would be looking into getting and earlier flight from DUB.

http://www.heathrowairport.com/heathrow-airport-guide/flight-connections/terminal-5-republic-of-ireland-connecting-to-terminal-3-international

• Advertisement

bit confused here - are you flying dublin - lhr with BA, lhr - Ewr with Virgin? If so you will need to collect bags and recheck as BA and Virgin do not interline.

90 is the minimum connecting time if this is your itinerary: you will arrive T5 and depart T3

Its not a timescale I would be comfortable with seeing as you will have to retrieve and recheck bags assuming your flights are as assumed. I would be looking into getting and earlier flight from DUB.

http://www.heathrowairport.com/heathrow-airport-guide/flight-connections/terminal-5-republic-of-ireland-connecting-to-terminal-3-international

I am only going for a few days so actually wont need to check in baggage.

im flying

dublin-heathrow (BA)
    Heathrow- Newark (Virgin)
    Newark- Heathrow (Virgin)
    Heathrow- Dublin (Aer Lingus)

with no checked bags it's doable. Just ensure that all flights are on the one ticket, that way you are protected in case of delays and also make sure your ESTA (if you need one) is in place.

with no checked bags it's doable. Just ensure that all flights are on the one ticket, that way you are protected in case of delays and also make sure your ESTA (if you need one) is in place.

What do you mean by one ticket? booked with lastminute.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 41 weary1

As someone previously stated, try to book all your tickets through the same airline, then you will be assured that they will provide all your flights if you miss a connection not due to your fault.

If returning from U.S. to Dublin through Heathrow, you leave the secured area in LHR, and then have to go through security again, also possibly have to take a shuttle bus between terminals. That was my experience yesterday, not a good day for flying.

weary1 wrote: »
    As someone previously stated, try to book all your tickets through the same airline, then you will be assured that they will provide all your flights if you miss a connection not due to your fault.

If returning from U.S. to Dublin through Heathrow, you leave the secured area in LHR, and then have to go through security again, also possibly have to take a shuttle bus between terminals. That was my experience yesterday, not a good day for flying.

Im flying different airlines but booked one ticket, does that cover me?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 weary1

fungie wrote: »
    Im flying different airlines but booked one ticket, does that cover me?

In my case I had one printout from United Airlines and a reservation number.
    Had a different airline from London back to Dublin, but was covered.

Good idea to ring up whoever you paid using any telephone number they supplied and ask them about how missed connections are covered.

I suffered 4 hour delay due to UA fault, missed connection, but they booked me on different airline , no charge.

I did preclearance in Dublin, got my boarding passes there for all outward flights, ie 1 Dublin to US, then 2 further internal US flights to final destination.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

Ruu wrote: »
    You will clear immigration in Newark I think, bags should be forwarded if it is just one booking so no need to collect and recheck. That should be enough time to make your connection.

Connection to where? if they clear Newark which is their final destination what connection is their?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

The connection time (90-100 minutes) was the second part of their question.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

Flying to Vegas with Aer Lingus to Gatwick and Virgin Atlantic onto Vegas in September . Hope my bags are checked through all the way and I don't get stung in Dublin Airport for baggage fees from Aer Lingus. Booked all on the one ticket through ebookers. Only have a 80 minute connection in Gatwick so will be real tight if I need to collect bags and check them in again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

You should be fine as it was booked on the one ticket. Aer Lingus should honour Virgins baggage allowance also.

January wrote: »
    You should be fine as it was booked on the one ticket. Aer Lingus should honour Virgins baggage allowance also.

Reading conflicting stuff online but hopefully will be ok but have a feeling it could be down to whoever we get on the day to check us in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

aaronm13 wrote: »
    Reading conflicting stuff online but hopefully will be ok but have a feeling it could be down to whoever we get on the day to check us in.

That is 100% wrong.

Bags will be checked to the final destination from the point of departure when checking in.

jaymcg91 wrote: »
    That is 100% wrong.

Bags will be checked to the final destination from the point of departure when checking in.

Cheers for the clarification jay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭Crumbs868

so you will need to collect bags and recheck as BA and Virgin do not interline[/url]

Just to correct another piece of misinformation on this thread, the above is incorrect, BA can check bags onto final destination with Virgin Atlantic once on the same ticket (eg BA to LHR then Virgin onwards)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭9bred4

fungie wrote: »
    I am flying Dublin-Newark through Heathrow from ebooker/gotogate but have a few questions.

Can I preclear in Dublin?
    Will I have to collect my bags after the Dublin-Heathrow or are they handled by airport?
    The stopover time is about 90-100 minutes, is this enough for Heathrow?

Any help will be much appreciated?

1: Aerlingus clear in Dublin but only if it is an Aerlingus ticket. Otherwise Newark I reckon (If it begins with 053 it probably is)

2: If it is one ticket then checked straight through.

3: 90 minutes is recommended if all under one ticket.

These are all probably answered but I didn't read any other answer

* Aerlingus, BA and Virgin all operate within a codeshare meaning bags will be checked through all the way *

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

9bred4 wrote: »
    1: Aerlingus clear in Dublin but only if it is an Aerlingus ticket. Otherwise Newark I reckon (If it begins with 053 it probably is)

Flights going directly to the US from Dublin pre-clear, not just Aer Lingus. And if doesn't have to be an Aer Lingus ticket, Aer Lingus codeshare with several airlines on the route. If there is a stop off in Europe, clearance happens at first American airport.

I just know Aer Lingus rules and such!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭Crumbs868

9bred4 wrote: »
    I just know Aer Lingus rules and such!

Aer lingus don't fly to Newark

I know they don't.
    JFK,BOS,SFO,ORD,IAD,MCO is where they fly.

Why are you calling me out on this?

Advertisement