Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do ibans start the same in the same branch?

Options
  • 24-03-2015 4:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭

hi. If my account is in aib drumcondra (its not) and my business partner also has an account in aib drumcondra and i want to add make a sepa payment.....will his iban number start with the same first 8 digits as mine?

Also, will his BIC code be the same as mine, assuming both accounts are in the same branch with the same sort code?

I ask, because I am setting up a standing order. He has his bank details from a checque book and i know that the iban ends with the sortcode and acc number, with 8 digits before this. I am also unsure about the bic number, which i think would be the same for all accounts, but we are unsure.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,021 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Don't think so as there are check digits in there. I have multiple accounts at a single German bank branch and the iban differs by more than just the account number part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

BIC for AIB is AIBKIE2D across the board. IBANs will differ account to account, irrespective of branch. It'll be IExxAIBK93xxxxxxxxxxxx. The first two 'x's denote check digits. These will vary and aren't related to a branch.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,437 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

goz83 wrote: »
    I ask, because I am setting up a standing order. He has his bank details from a checque book and i know that the iban ends with the sortcode and acc number, with 8 digits before this. I am also unsure about the bic number, which i think would be the same for all accounts, but we are unsure.

His IBAN number will be on his statements but if you don't have easy access to these....

https://personal.aib.ie/personal-forms/bic-iban-converter (will also do a BOI conversion)

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭BazzaDP

BIC for AIB is AIBKIE2D across the board. IBANs will differ account to account, irrespective of branch. It'll be IExxAIBK93xxxxxxxxxxxx. The first two 'x's denote check digits. These will vary and aren't related to a branch.

And mostly (but not always) the last 14 digits will be the 6-digit sort code and the 8-digit account number.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

coylemj wrote: »
    His IBAN number will be on his statements but if you don't have easy access to these....

https://personal.aib.ie/personal-forms/bic-iban-converter (will also do a BOI conversion)

Brilliant! Super thanks for that. I used it and got what I needed. I can now sort that payment, rather than wait for the very slow response from the account holder.

• Advertisement
Advertisement