Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The X-Files - Season 10 & 11 [** Spoilers **]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Maybe spoilers ahead not watching it myself...

Cast & crew of The X-Files take you inside the thrilling new season

Starts back tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Marje

Will it be shown on any station here in Ireland or UK does anyone know, thanks.

No date yet for it to be shown over here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,067 ✭✭✭jones

Think season 10 was shown on fox (FX) on sky last year so assuming it wil be the same this year although when we'll get it who knows. I started rewatcheding the old ones on bluray the last while. On season 3 now and its great tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Marje

jones wrote: »
    Think season 10 was shown on fox (FX) on sky last year so assuming it wil be the same this year although when we'll get it who knows. I started rewatcheding the old ones on bluray the last while. On season 3 now and its great tv.
    Was going to buy the boxset but they're on Amazon prime atm. Will have to re-watch them again soon.

Marje wrote:
    Was going to buy the boxset but they're on Amazon prime atm. Will have to re-watch them again soon.

The blurays are amazing quality I previously had the dvds but these blow them out of the water. Highly recommended

Absolutely sh1t episode but I loved it and great to see some old faces back.

That last line!

Fake News!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

That last line!

Fake News!
    Could you PM me a link to it pleaseeeeee?

• Advertisement

JeffKenna wrote: »
    Could you PM me a link to it pleaseeeeee?

I watched on Hulu.

That last line!

Fake News!

I think i read somewhere (possibly here) that this season is mostly monster of the week type stories? For me, at this point that is the way to go. The conspiracy stuff has tied itself in knots over the years - great the start though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Hopefully a good few Darin Morgan written episodes. Those are usually winners.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

It was allll a dream.

William I am your father!

Ugh, what a load of crap. Ah well looking forward to Darin Morgan's episode.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,519 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

My brain is all over the place because I'm reading tweets/comments about rape.

My brain is all over the place because I'm reading tweets/comments about rape.
    Chris Carter already PO'ed a bunch of people with some of his comments about women on his Reddit AMA. I suspect that's a drop in the ocean compared to this one - it's not a plot twist I like at all myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

Oh dearie me
    I hope we don't have a Prison Break style mess on our hands
    That whole episode was ridiculous even for the xfiles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭seandotcomm

massive fan but that did nothing for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

That episode was shockingly bad. Hard to believe that Chris Carter came up with the X-Files when he writes such risible rubbish as that.
    Duchovny reciting his monologues must have been repeating in his mind over and over - "just think of the paycheck, just think of the paycheck." It must have been so embarrassing to read that dialogue. Same goes for his conversations with Scully. The interactions of the other characters wasn't much better.

If it keeps going like this it's going to make this season's Walking Dead seem like Shakespeare. :eek:

And it started reasonably well with lots of references to old episodes from very early on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Wolverine359

Yeah that was an embarrassing watch. Mulder’s monologues were particularly bad - “... but followed by whom?” Just some random nobody grunt, that’s whom. And so much time wasted on the world’s most pointless and boring car chase.

But I must say that I did enjoy Smoking Man’s prominence in this episode, he’s such a badass, and isn’t he in his mid-90s?! Ah, the mid-90s, a time when this show was actually good. His shock revelation at the end was just a joke, right? Otherwise it means that William is Mulder’s half-brother, which means Scully has actually become Mulder’s... stepmother or something?! I don’t want to think about it too much. Hopefully they’ll retcon this retcon as another bad vivid dream brought on by exposure to alien toxins, yeah that’ll explain it away in a believable fashion. And didn’t the tag line in the credits switch from I Want To Believe to I Want To Lie? That was cool. So Smoking Man just wants to lie to us with this whole “I’m the daddy” story he’s concocted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,313 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

How long has Scully spent in a hospital across the whole series by this point?

• Advertisement

CastorTroy wrote: »

Sure she is a “Medical Doctor “

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,519 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Back in the day, the joke we had was her pregnancy felt about 11-14 months long.
    But I must say that I did enjoy Smoking Man’s prominence in this episode, he’s such a badass, and isn’t he in his mid-90s?! Ah, the mid-90s, a time when this show was actually good. His shock revelation at the end was just a joke, right? Otherwise it means that William is Mulder’s half-brother, which means Scully has actually become Mulder’s... stepmother or something?! I don’t want to think about it too much. Hopefully they’ll retcon this retcon as another bad vivid dream brought on by exposure to alien toxins, yeah that’ll explain it away in a believable fashion. And didn’t the tag line in the credits switch from I Want To Believe to I Want To Lie? That was cool. So Smoking Man just wants to lie to us with this whole “I’m the daddy” story he’s concocted.

He's a classic character, but I do get a little concerned about reuse almost tripping into parody and ruining his impact in terms of the show's legacy. As to the revelation - it smacks of Chris Carter messing with the audience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,605 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

This is Gillian Anderson's last season

Now that was a lot more fun and a great opening.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 375 ✭✭Tylerdurex

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    This is Gillian Anderson's last season

I'd take that with a pinch of salt

Now that was a lot more fun and a great opening.

Yeah, great teaser. The whole thing was closer to the writing, rhythm and tone we know and love. Seemed to revel in the two leads simply hanging out. Plus, Scully called Skinman Walter. :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 375 ✭✭Tylerdurex

Scully. I still would

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

The reboot is an echo of the original show. It's pretty bad that they brought the cigarette smoking man back from the dead. Now that he's back they don't seem to know what to do with him. The cabal conspiracy stuff is so bad that I expect the revelation that cancer man intends to live forever by downloading his consciousness into the boy.

The count down to extinction apparently began in 2012. What major world event was the trigger? The grounding of the Costa Concordia perhaps.

Who was in the picture with the Lone Gunmen?
    When the opening implied the episode would be about the Lone Gunmen, I thought they would take an idea from the comic.

Enjoyed that a lot
    Especially the nods to "Home " which is one of my 3 fav episodes
    It was great to see Langley again

However I now feel it needs to be the last series ......give us all our old favorites (Eugene tooms I'm looking for you ) and then wrap it up in the final episode

• Advertisement

km79 wrote: »
    Enjoyed that a lot
    Especially the nods to "Home " which is one of my 3 fav episodes
    It was great to see Langley again

However I now feel it needs to be the last series ......give us all our old favorites (Eugene tooms I'm looking for you ) and then wrap it up in the final episode

Doug Hutchison I'm pretty sure is now blacklisted for being a creepy dude marrying a 16 year old when he was 50.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Wolverine359

Yeah, great teaser. The whole thing was closer to the writing, rhythm and tone we know and love. Seemed to revel in the two leads simply hanging out. Plus, Scully called Skinman Walter. :pac:

I’ve chosen to delete the memory of the season opener in favour of this episode being the launch of season 11, really enjoyed it. :)

A good old fashioned X-Files monster of the week :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

It would be better if the full series was moster of the week, I assume only the opening and closing episode will be conspiracy again this season....

First episode was pretty bad, I wondered how they were going to direct it back to standalone episodes... Pretty bluntly "we wait and do our work".

Monalogues were terrible, at least they were read with all the enthusiasm they deserved

11.03 was basically solid, not too shabby. Nothing spectacular, but all fine within what a network show can do. Scully-led, Enjoyed the humour too. Hello again to the actor who played Mrs Peacock back in the day.

Really really enjoyed that
    Proper xfile
    Crazy story and good humour
    Just like the old days :)

Still confused about the whole Mulder and Scully set up though

You're not alone. I thought they were a couple. I mean they came across that way in previous episodes including last week.

That episode of The X-Files this week is The X-Files at it's very best and maybe the best episode since the early episodes a new classic for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,566 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

You're not alone. I thought they were a couple. I mean they came across that way in previous episodes including last week.

I thought it was that they were friends with benefits, they had been a couple and that didn't work out but they still have strong wants. Mulder is comical, like a teenage boy thinking with one part of his anatomy.

I'm Fox freakin' Mulder you punks! :D

So yeah, 11.04 was all Darin Morgan - suitably beautiful, arty, delightful and funny - Sculs, and I'M FOX MULDER, etc. Outer Limits and Twilight Zone got some love, along with VHS tapes. Perhaps skirted a little close to being too self-referential, but I did smile quite a bit.

Plus, they hired the right dude to play Reggie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭steve_r

Yeah thought it was excellent. Some lovely character moments and some great funny moments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,713 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Curious........wasn't impressed with this Morgan effort at all.
    Certainly down the bottom of his X-Files work for me, with far too many misses and way too few hits. I suppose it's not really a surprise given the general low quality of the 'new' X-Files, but still a disappointment.

In some ways I actually preferred the previous episode as a 'humour' episode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭steve_r

Last year was tough going but I'm quite enjoying this series as a whole.

The mythology was problematic at best in the 90's and it's an absolute disaster at this stage but the MOTW eps and comedic eps have been enjoyable.

I think the x-files has always offered something different in terms of storytelling and a willingness to take risks which don't always work.

I've been dipping into some of the old episodes on Amazon Prime as the new episodes are reminding me I loved the show in the first place.

Season 10 was more bad than good but on the whole, I think season 11 has been worthwhile to date.

• Advertisement

FANTASTIC!!!!
    It actually would have been a fitting final episode
    So enjoyable
    Let's just forget about season 10 !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭ladyjuicy08

I really enjoyed TLAOFS think Reggie is us fans wanting to insert ourselves into the x files

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Len_007

There was a nice re-use of the “Home Again” musical cue from 2008’s “I Want To Believe”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭ladyjuicy08

I can't wait for Ghouli this week looks really good

11.05 was fairly OK. Better in the second half. I enjoyed Mulder trolling the DoD.

• Advertisement
Advertisement