Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The X-Files - Season 10 & 11 [** Spoilers **]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Marje

This starts on Channel 5 Monday 5th February at 9pm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭ladyjuicy08

Episode 6 on Wed Skinner story line then takes 2 week break in USA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Bump for tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,011 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I see Haley Joel Osment :)

Nice Skinner origin story.

Kersh returns and he hasn’t been promoted after all these years either re comment on Skinner still not running the whole FBI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,884 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

I see Haley Joel Osment :)

Nice Skinner origin story.

Kersh returns and he hasn’t been promoted after all these years either re comment on Skinner still not running the whole FBI.

Deputy Director now wasn't he ?.......as opposed to Assistant the very first time he was around. Still 14 years or so in the same position.
    Can't be bothered to check it out, as it was another pretty poor episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Marje

Episode 3 "Plus One" on Channel 5 tonight.

I really enjoyed it, felt like one of the episodes from the old series.

I found this week's episode a really interesting and I liked it alot.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I found this week's episode a really interesting and I liked it alot.
    Yep, me too. Took its own spin on the "Black Mirror" approach.

By the way, I saw the episode title "Rm9sbG93ZXJz" and the tag "VGhIFRydXRoIGIzIE91dCBUaGVyZQ=" and figured they were Base64 encoding (having done some of it this week) and I - sadly or proudly depending on your perspective - was right. They decode as "Followers" and "The Truth is Out There" respectively. My nerd credentials are good today.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,567 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I really liked it, though it fizzled slightly towards the end, imo. Minimal dialogue, no badges, no guns. Tonally spot on, yet nicely relaxed at times, well, not for Scully. :pac: God, her laugh. :D Love for 6 Million Dollar Man. Star Trek TOS too, I think.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to order a cake for Skinner's birthday through my fridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elfy4eva

Just watched Ep. 8 Familiar. Really enjoyed it, thought it was chilling and seriously dark.

• Advertisement

elfy4eva wrote: »
    Just watched Ep. 8 Familiar. Really enjoyed it, thought it was chilling and seriously dark.
    After a unique episode last week, I thought this was quite poor myself. Felt flat and unoriginal, with tired clichés. The Chucky Cheese song was the best part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

ixoy wrote: »
    After a unique episode last week, I thought this was quite poor myself. Felt flat and unoriginal, with tired clichés. The Chucky Cheese song was the best part.

Mr Chuckle Teeth! Yeah that song keeps going round in my head still, nearly a week later :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,567 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

11.08 was OK. Didn't have enough oomph to make it suspenseful. 11.09 was better, touch of Post Modern Prometheus, perhaps. I won't look at a kitchen blender the same way again. Would happily listen to more of M&S shooting the breeze about getting old.

Loved the Alexa hell episode, I'll never have one! Checking my bank account on the Internet
    is as techy as I get.

Well now that ending!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,712 ✭✭✭corkie

corkie wrote: »
    The X-Files creator is confident that season 12 will happen, even without Gillian Anderson
    Nothing good can happen without Gillian Anderson.

Just finished and enjoyed the Final of season 11!

Posted above earlier today, couldn't find this thread!

Chris Carter is an idiot all season 11 were good but my struggles urghh .. The x files is nothing without Scully

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

What was the point of the scenes with William's two girlfriends?

Dandelion6 wrote: »
    What was the point of the scenes with William's two girlfriends?
    Well it reminded me that William Scully was a little sh*t. Was that Carter's intention?

Utter pile of crap and hope we don't have any more of the show after this mess.

• Advertisement

Er, that was a very pacey finale, at least for the first 30 minutes. Rushed. We did get some Supernatural style exploding meat suits, so that's something, eh?
    Well it reminded me that William Scully was a little sh*t. Was that Carter's intention?

Never connected with William emotionally as a viewer. And as I think AV Club noted, Scully being pregnant again reduced the character just that. I was spoiled on the pregnancy anyway.
    Utter pile of crap and hope we don't have any more of the show after this mess.

Leaning that way too. The show's legacy is tarnished enough as it is, even before this. Going to chat to a few Philes I know as I think we all have a bit of a bad taste in our mouths at this stage. One summed it up as "Think I need to get a shirt that says, 'I survived #TheXFiles'. For better or worse...through the good, the bad, and well, really bad, I am still a fan."

Non-mytharc episodes from s11 were all right, even good at times. Put it to bed or keep Carter away, but that's not going to happen...

Non-mytharc episodes from s11 were all right, even good at times. Put it to bed or keep Carter away, but that's not going to happen...
    You know I'd have been a lot happier if Chris Carter was kept away from it all and we had no myth-arc episodes at all. The standalone episodes had much better dialogue and character interaction - particularly liked Darin Morgan's entry and the Followers episode. They didn't just make a mess of what had come before and insult the characters (I mean at look at Scully's reaction to William, it was basically: "Ah sure, he wasn't really ours so, you know so easy come easy go."). Carter is his own worst enemy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,343 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

You know I'd have been a lot happier if Chris Carter was kept away from it all and we had no myth-arc episodes at all. The standalone episodes had much better dialogue and character interaction - particularly liked Darin Morgan's entry and the Followers episode. They didn't just make a mess of what had come before and insult the characters (I mean at look at Scully's reaction to William, it was basically: "Ah sure, he wasn't really ours so, you know so easy come easy go."). Carter is his own worst enemy.

The mythology of the show has gotten so ridiculous that there's no saving it at this stage - it only continues because it's Carter's show and his baby.

The standalone episodes are still great because it gives freedom to the writer to do what they want. The mythology ones are a victim of how ridiculous its all gotten since about season 6.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,264 ✭✭✭✭km79

Well that was disappointing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,580 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

The monster of the week episodes were pretty good this time around, feeling a bit more like the X-Files of old to an extent.

The mythology has gone off the wall in these two new seasons, it's hard to believe it's the same show that mesmerized audiences in the 90's. Fans are right to be annoyed about it as in its heyday the mythology story provided some of the best television you're ever likely to see.
    Carter seemed to want to appeal to the YouTube conspiracy show crowd and went way to far with gratuitous shots of crashing UFOS and aliens which were only ever brief seen or hinted at in the original run. So often what you don't see is so much more thrilling than what you do see,something the X-Files used to have mastery over.
    More of the same from this season is a hard sell, but as a fan you'd hope some of the former magic could be rekindled somehow.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭TonyD79

As previously noted the mythology went awol after season 6. It never really recovered after the film which was a shame as I thought the movie was well made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Probably a bit late to the party but just watched eposide 1 tonight...jesus I fell asleep half way through...really disappointing!

Anyone going to Montreal comic con to see Gillian & David??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Grateful Dread

I actually loved the new season though I did think the 'My Struggle' episodes were a bit all over the place at times. Especially liked the MotW episodes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Grateful Dread

Anyone going to Montreal comic con to see Gillian & David??

I wish!

• Advertisement

I wish!

Yeah me too

Booked meet & greet with Gillian Anderson at comic con in Belgium .. Anyone got any decent questions to ask her I'm sure she's sick and tired of same old things being asked

I watched the first two episode of series 11 a lil while ago and really liked them but I've been catching up with series 11 over the past few nights and while it's not up there with the best of the first few series it's not too far behind.

Episode 3 was quirky and the show at it's most excessively ridiculous but much of it worked, Chuckie and Judy were great one-off villains and it's funny to see the numerous references to the infamous episode Home which have been sprinkled throughout series 10 and 11 considering that Fox did their utmost to try and wipe it from memory going so far to even consider erasing the negative. If anything the best thing about "Plus One" is the realisation that when Chris Carter is on his game, he is one of the best writers of stand-alone mystery TV out there, his work here isn't vintage but it's not bad at all.

"The Lost Art Of Forehead Sweat" is the X-Files at its most Darin Morgan which is to say it is intelligent, whimsical and a loving tribute to all that has come before. The manner in which it rewrites old episodes inserting Reggie (whose FBI credentials we saw in a previous episode) into such classics as Tooms and Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose is wonderfully illustrative of the Mandela effect in action and Darin Morgan just toying with the audience for comedic effect. It's an instant classic and the playful nature of the narrative and the manner in which it toys with expectations before evolving into an X-File of its own is genius. The final scene offers up one of the most thematically satisfying moments in the show's history, Scully who has always been the straight women in Darin Morgan episodes is granted an opportunity to revisit her childhood but opts not to for she wants "to remember how it all was.” It's the perfect end note for the episode and even for the show as a whole, no one expected to see the X-Files return and not that it has so much of the discussion has been comparing it to the original run or that these new adventures dilute the impact of the show's legacy but they miss the point that for so many the X-Files is a show tinged with nostalgia and everything that entails. As such, nothing will ever match that feeling of anticipation you felt each week as you counted down the days and hours till the next episode aired.

Episode 5 and 6 "Ghouli" and "Kitten" are both very good, verging in place on excellence. The most striking aspect of "Ghouli" is the manner in which it sets William up as a monster. Early on in the episode, Mulder discusses the difference between the monsters of old and modern inventions such as Slender Man and the difference is pathos. The monsters of old were at once terrifying but sympathetic which is something that modern horror seems to ignore, these days it's all about the jump scares and gore without the heart. Sure much of the episode felt like a mythos episode tacked onto a monster of the week but the cold open was excellent, even if the show didn't fulfill the promise. As a scene setter "Ghouli" is good and William remains one of the most undefined characters in the show, alongside Jeffrey Spender he's not really been anything but there but with the apocalyptic event that Scully and William have foreseen the show is slowly starting to build toward a conclusion with William being used to bring about the end. It doesn't quite work but it tries and even a lesser X-Files is still better than most anything else on TV at it's best. It's also hard not to love a monster who wants to have a moment with his mother but does so using the visage of a sleazy pickup artist that hints at some strange and creepy yet human undertoenes but again what's a monster without a little bit of asshole humanity to him.

"Kitten" or how Skinner forgot to worry about strange yellow gases and monsters in the jungle is a return to the Canadian wilderness that the show so loved. Much of the episode sees our baldy hero stalking the woods of Mud Lick in search of a monster from his Vietnam days. It's old school X-Files 101, smart and funny with a great supporting cast, witty dialogue and one that asks if the scariest monsters aren't those the lurk in the shadows but rather the person standing in front of you in the supermarket. Fully of fun scares, it feels like a monster of the week from the earlier series and while it doesn't amount to a whole lot it still manages to be thematically relevant and bring Mulder, Scully and Skinner together in a way that feels real. It also asks the important question of why Mulder and Scully spent so long undervaluing Skinner when he's proven time and again that he's willing to die for either of them. The answer as expected is that they just do. Like in recent episodes, the wrap up is one of the episodes strongest moments and incorporate some real world fears in a way that feels smart and natural.

I'm trying to keep it to one episode a night and then the cold open of the next episode but I ended up watching the first quarter of "Rm9sbG93ZXJz" and loving it, genuinely had to force myself to go to bed or else I feared I'd have binged the remained of the series.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

A pity this still hasn’t got an airing in Ireland.

For some reason I missed the last episode of the 11th series. Waiting for it to pop up again on Channel 5 or 5Spike at some point.
    Booked meet & greet with Gillian Anderson at comic con in Belgium .. Anyone got any decent questions to ask her I'm sure she's sick and tired of same old things being asked

Did you get to meet Gillian Anderson?

For the 25th anniversary Mattel have made a Barbie & Ken into Mulder & Scully.

xflmatdollmulder_512x.jpg?v=1535525320
    xflmatdollscully_512x.jpg?v=1535525326

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

I watched the first episode of Season 11a little while ago - yes I'm that far behind so no spoilers please.:o Spoiler avoidance is why I can't look this up on Google.

Were the flashbacks at the end of the episode where Cancer Man revealed to Skinner that he is William's father from an actual episode or something filmed for this season?

When watching it I assumed it was an encounter between Scully and smoking Man that Scully had never before revealed, a few minutes ago the scenes became familiar.

However, if this was indeed featured in the show back then, how come no-one has ever put forward the theory that Cancer Man impregnated Scully? Did we thin he had done something else?

EDIT: Also I need some help recalling these - how did Spender become the guy Scully trusted to hide William?
    when did Mulder accept that the Cigarette Smoking Man was his father?did his mother tell him it was true?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭jones

Why wasnt this on sky at all? Season 10 was so was expecting this to be aswell. I'll catch it at some point.

I watched the first episode of Season 11a little while ago - yes I'm that far behind so no spoilers please.:o Spoiler avoidance is why I can't look this up on Google.

Were the flashbacks at the end of the episode where Cancer Man revealed to Skinner that he is William's father from an actual episode or something filmed for this season?

When watching it I assumed it was an encounter between Scully and smoking Man that Scully had never before revealed, a few minutes ago the scenes became familiar.

However, if this was indeed featured in the show back then, how come no-one has ever put forward the theory that Cancer Man impregnated Scully? Did we thin he had done something else?

EDIT: Also I need some help recalling these - how did Spender become the guy Scully trusted to hide William?
    when did Mulder accept that the Cigarette Smoking Man was his father?did his mother tell him it was true?

I'd try to answer, but my memory of it isn't great and the writing of it, well, yeah... As to your point I've highlighted in bold, I think a certain section of the internet was up in arms about that, or at least Chris Carter's defence of that storyline.
    jones wrote: »
    Why wasnt this on sky at all? Season 10 was so was expecting this to be aswell. I'll catch it at some point.

Channel 5, I think. Don't think RTE bothered with 11.

I'd try to answer, but my memory of it isn't great and the writing of it, well, yeah... As to your point I've highlighted in bold, I think a certain section of the internet was up in arms about that, or at least Chris Carter's defence of that storyline.

So are you saying the flashbacks are not from an episode from years but were filmed for season 11 ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Possiblity it may end up on Prime Video at some point - they do have season 10. I’ve given up waiting on RTE to show it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,444 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

jones wrote: »

Never seen season 10 on Sky but did see it on RTE but they never bothered to show season 11 for some reason.

Channel 5, I think. Don't think RTE bothered with 11.

No RTE never bothered to get season 11 for some reason.
    icdg wrote: »
    Possiblity it may end up on Prime Video at some point - they do have season 10. I’ve given up waiting on RTE to show it.

Me too. Tried to watch it online but it was taking ages to load so gave up. Will see it sometime.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

RTE showed it originally back in the day, I remember taping it on VHS. I suspect the ratings for 10 were too low for them to bother with 11.
    So are you saying the flashbacks are not from an episode from years but were filmed for season 11 ?

Honestly can't recall, so I'm not sure. Transcripts are on http://www.insidethex.co.uk/, but haven't appeared for 11 yet.

A nice Con reunion

DqjTyjXX0AEC3Gl.jpg

I'm finding season 11 to be a great disappointment.

Season 10 did a good, if rushed job, of getting Mulder & Scully back to work and getting case that were both new and still classic X-Files.

I had heard much praise for season 11 and that it was better than 10 but only got the chance to catch up recently.

The Season 10 finale was all a dream, Mulder is into martial arts, the humour is laid on so much they are boarding on parody - the episode were smart devices go mental until Mulder relents and give a tip ??? And who in the world read the script about the third X-Files partner and thought it was funny, let alone worthy of being filmed.

I hate being negative but I honesty cannot understand how this is considered better than season 10.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,444 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

RTE are currently showing season 11 on Thursday night's at 11.30 PM. I only seen the 2nd episode last Thursday and recorded it. I watched it yesterday. It was ok. The other two episodes might be on the RTE player for anyone wanting to watch them.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Wolverine359

A little OT but I’m just going to leave this here: Gillian Anderson’s latest Instagram post. (Should be in the Sex Education thread but what harm, I’m sure many Scully fans will appreciate it. :pac:)
    Btw, this short video is NSFW.
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BteAgF6lLkm/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=wyejk3k6gibd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

AMKC wrote: »
    RTE are currently showing season 11 on Thursday night's at 11.30 PM. I only seen the 2nd episode last Thursday and recorded it. I watched it yesterday. It was ok. The other two episodes might be on the RTE player for anyone wanting to watch them.

It's also on Amazon Prime for anyone who has that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭brian_t

A little OT but I’m just going to leave this here: Gillian Anderson’s latest Instagram post. (Should be in the Sex Education thread but what harm, I’m sure many Scully fans will appreciate it. :pac:)

https://www.instagram.com/p/BteAgF6lLkm/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=wyejk3k6gibd

Perhaps NSFW should be added to your post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,264 ✭✭✭✭km79

The good Lord

Advertisement