Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The X-Files - Season 10 & 11 [** Spoilers **]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

This new series is a disaster. This episode feels like it's trying to be slapstick comedy or something. Probably not helped by having yer man from flight of the conchords playing the monster.

Just my opinion but I think it's an insult to the original and really if they couldn't do something on a par with the old episodes then they really shouldn't have bothered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭ollie1

This is so so weird :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 823 ✭✭✭q2xv9rjei4awgb

This has to be a parody surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

Its resembles slightly the earlier episodes which at the time I thought brilliant. But. Has anyone ever seen that frasier episode where they meet their hero and restage his one man show from years back. But cant understand how hes suddenly a crap actor. And they rewatch the recording they once thought brilliant and it realise it was absolute tripe! ......... this is how I feel.

Its resembles slightly the earlier episodes which ar the time I thought brilliant. But. Has anyone ever seen that frasier episode where they meet their hero and restage his one man show from years back. But cant understand how hes suddenly a crap actor. And the rewatch the recording the once thought brilliant and it was absolute tripe! ......... this is how I feel.

Magnificent episode of Frasier that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭Bsal

What a bizarre episode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭ollie1

Was the 1st episode like this as well?

Why has he got the theme tune as his ring tone??

The originals were top class with great moments and some dark and genuinely unsettling episodes.

I got to rewatch some of them lately and they stand up really well - actually I want to buy the box set but haven't gotten around to it yet. But these new episodes are so bad I have to wonder are they trying to bury it once and for all? I mean I can't believe gillian read the scripts for these and thought it would be a good idea to go through with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,921 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

I want to believe

This episode was a joke

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,752 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

They've done some comedic ones before but it's never been that bad. Jeeezus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,921 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

I want to believe

This episode was a joke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Nice nod to Kim Manners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

That was a cross between naked gun and scary movie...moulder reminded me of Lesley neilson!

I found myself laughing thoughout!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Withrax

I really enjoyed tonights episode, thought it was very funny

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

CastorTroy wrote:
    I enjoyed it, and not just because of Sexy Scully.

Sexy Scully disconcerted me! She can do that as Stella in 'the fall' but as Scully it just threw me a lil! It didn't sit well! It was like walking in on that teacher you had a crush on having sex!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Wolverine359

That was very funny. And for the complainers - oh it's not as good as it was 20 years ago blah blah blah - it's meant to be a parody! That means silly, slapstick, no holds barred gaga-crazy. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,312 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

As someone else pointed out elsewhere they seem to be using these 6 episodes to hit each type of episode they had back in the day. So this is the equivalent of Jose Chung's From Outer Space. Even had the same writer/director, I believe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

Loved it
    Knew it was a Morgan episode
    Going to to rewatch it tomorrow !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,067 ✭✭✭jones

Really enjoyed the third episode I think they've been getting steadily better since the admittedly staccato first episode. I'm hoping we get another season and is it just me or would you lot prefer a season of monster of the week episodes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Never watched x-files really when it was on before.

This season so far is all I've watched, so as a non - fan I have to say that was just an awful 40 minutes of television.
    And I actually liked the first episode so this was dissapointing for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

Great episode. Classic Darrin Morgan. However, I can understand how people expecting a more traditional episode might be disappointing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Was a big fan of the original series so I recorded the new one and have watched them over the past few days along with tonight's episode. Didn't do anything for me I have to say. I guess it was of its time. Tonight's episode was just downright bizarre for me with a weak storyline and poor special effects, the monster/lizard/human was clearly in a suit was hallowe'en dress up standard. If it's intentionally a parody then fair enough but I just didn't get it. Not sure if I'll tune in to it again, probably not.

Only upside is scully, could watch her all day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I liked it, though I can see why people would not have liked it.

I thought they could have ramped up the tension to improve matters. The culprit was treated as a joke throughout and so there was no sense of jeopardy at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 448 ✭✭Mad_Dave

If episode 3 was a taste of what we can expect from the new X-files then I wish they hadn't bothered resurrecting the show, one of the worst 40 minutes of tv I've seen in ages.
    It was so bad I was convinced it had to be a dream sequence or something, I can barely believe it was a real episode.

• Advertisement

Are you all mad. That was hilarious, fantastical, character development and subversive all rolled into one
    The original show cracked under its own weight so if we get some Fringe like comedic episodes I'm happy out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,237 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

I liked it, this was originally to be shown as Episode 2.

I understand other people might feel different, but once in a while it's good that we have an episode that is different.

Plus the amount of Easter Eggs in this one was great, bringing previous guest back to star in small roles or in the graveyard the gravestones paying homage to series producer/director Kim Manners, who died in 2009, and Jack Hardy, first assistant director on Millenium, The Lone Gunmen and The X-Files: I Want to Believe.

Plus Mulder can still rock a red spedo :rolleyes:

Sure it was not the usual, but at least Mulder can now believe that something is out there because he has first hand knowledge after the internet debunked most of his previous investigations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 204 ✭✭Cakes and Ale

Are you all mad. That was hilarious, fantastical, character development and subversive all rolled into one
    The original show cracked under its own weight so if we get some Fringe like comedic episodes I'm happy out

I agree, I don't understand why anyone who knew the original series found it odd or different. Jose Chung's From Outer Space had the same deliberately bad alien costumes, Scully lurking and pouting all through the interviews, Mulder being ridiculous, the bleeping detective, 'Lord Kinbote'. The scene where they flipped the usual were-monster story was a scream. Also great scenes with the psychologist, and before that with Mulder and Scully in the hotel room.

I'm watching it again today I enjoyed it so much
    With 6 episodes I think we are getting one of each type. I hoping for a good serious killer/ monster one next next like Tooms or a vampire one 😆

X files always had comedic episodes, but you could always at least rely on Mulder and Scully to be on point. But, so far, it really just feels like they're sleepwalking. Especially Anderson. The saving grace of the episode is the fact that everyone else was so good, especially the supporting players. They were able to secure some fantastic comedy actors.

And that's the issue; Mulder and Scully aren't the main draw.. In their own show.

Anderson looks like she's completely uninterested in what's happening and Duchovny just looks tired.

After unbelievably disappointing final two seasons and a finale that, well, we won't talk about, I and I assume other fans, were hoping for more of a concrete arch over six episodes than, essentially, "hey, remember how good we were at our best? Well, let's try to do just that"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,067 ✭✭✭jones

km79 wrote:
    I'm watching it again today I enjoyed it so much With 6 episodes I think we are getting one of each type. I hoping for a good serious killer/ monster one next next like Tooms or a vampire one 😆

Monster of the week is the way to go. The mythology has just become too convoluted at this stage

X files always had comedic episodes, but you could always at least rely on Mulder and Scully to be on point. But, so far, it really just feels like they're sleepwalking. Especially Anderson. The saving grace of the episode is the fact that everyone else was so good, especially the supporting players. They were able to secure some fantastic comedy actors.

And that's the issue; Mulder and Scully aren't the main draw.. In their own show.

Anderson looks like she's completely uninterested in what's happening and Duchovny just looks tired.

After unbelievably disappointing final two seasons and a finale that, well, we won't talk about, I and I assume other fans, were hoping for more of a concrete arch over six episodes than, essentially, "hey, remember how good we were at our best? Well, let's try to do just that"
    I watched back the entire 9 series Over the last 3 years or so
    I was ready to skip a few in series 8/9 as I remembered them being very poor
    They weren't half as bad as I remembered
    Some of the Dogget ones in particular were excellent
    And the relationship between him and Reyes was cute :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

km79 wrote: »
    They weren't half as bad as I remembered
    Some of the Dogget ones in particular were excellent
    And the relationship between him and Reyes was cute :D

We just finished the original show about 2 weeks ago, we began to skip the non-mytho episodes when they got really poor in season 8 but the rest were pretty good.

Season 9 really was awful and the show was dead weight without Mulder but I grew to like Dogget, would've liked to have seen him come back for this season. Didn't give a shíte about Reyes, though :pac:

This week's episode was bizarre but hilarious. Was weary at first considering their later attempts at humour episodes were terrible but this genuinely had me with how absurd and outlandish it was. Good stuff!

That episode had a very Twin Peaks feel for me actually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,208 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Right, I've just pressed pause 11 minutes in to episode 3. Is this it? I don't think its likely at this point that they are going to jump out and say surprise! The start of the episode is a joke, here is the real show at this point :(

Not sure I can keep watching this episode...I didn't hate 1 though I thought it wasn't great, I really enjoyed episode 2, felt like a return in many ways, but this episode is literally making me cringe :(

Say it gets better!

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Right, I've just pressed pause 11 minutes in to episode 3. Is this it? I don't think its likely at this point that they are going to jump out and say surprise! The start of the episode is a joke, here is the real show at this point :(

Not sure I can keep watching this episode...I didn't hate 1 though I thought it wasn't great, I really enjoyed episode 2, felt like a return in many ways, but this episode is literally making me cringe :(

Say it gets better!

It's a 50/50 split.
    I found it to be surreal and, once I got over the shock, loved every minute

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Really, really enjoyed that episode. Rhys Darby was absolutely brilliant in the part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭steve_r

I enjoyed it, appreciate it's not to everyone's taste however. Humour was very goofy and I could see why that threw people off.

The new series looks to be given the die hard fans what they want (or what they think the fans want) - new mythology stories, gorey monsters and comedies.

That's not many shows that try and cover so much ground. It's one of the main reasons I love the show, for that variety. If you solely like it as a paranormal thriller then I can see what that would leave you cold.

Odds are that the next episode will be completly different again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

I liked it, this was originally to be shown as Episode 2.

Good grief. I would have taken it off series record if that were the second episode after the hames of a first. Only the second episode is giving me some hope that it's worth continuing.

I think comedy episodes were tolerable when embedded into a full, established series, but when you have so many people unsure of what this new incarnation is, it was very risky here. Not all fans want in-jokes and nods to the past; some of us want drama, mystery and ideas that make us wonder.

:pac: Scully's sex scene:pac:

• Advertisement

:pac: Scully's sex scene:pac:

best scene in the episode for me - nice cleavage! :D

If this was a full season I would be more inclined to have a laugh at those episodes, as they are intended of course, but since it is such a short run I was hoping it would have one main theme basically running through the episodes or at least connected in some way. I think it may be trying to do too much, please too many people and spread itself too thin. I want this to be successful as I would like to see how a proper reboot/continuation of the show would be with the original characters.

Does anybody know if the goal is to try get picked up for a full run again after this or is it really just a mini series and to be left at that?

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

If this was a full season I would be more inclined to have a laugh at those episodes, as they are intended of course, but since it is such a short run I was hoping it would have one main theme basically running through the episodes or at least connected in some way. I think it may be trying to do too much, please too many people and spread itself too thin. I want this to be successful as I would like to see how a proper reboot/continuation of the show would be with the original characters.

Does anybody know if the goal is to try get picked up for a full run again after this or is it really just a mini series and to be left at that?

Mulder's doubt has been a theme so far

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

This would've been a shocking episode if Rhys Darby wasn't such a great pathetic character in everything he does. He pulled the whole thing together. Even had a tranny joke ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Plus the amount of Easter Eggs in this one was great, bringing previous guest back to star in small roles.

just realised the motel keeper was in a comedy episode of Millennium where he played one of 4 demons having a moan over donuts while looking normal to everyone else except Frank Black

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭bmstuff

Now I get it. This is not X-files season 10. This is a parody of X-Files with the same original actors

The lamest come back/remake ever watched yet. This is now official.

What a waste of time. How the actors could signed up for such ridiculous stories and dialogs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I've only seen the first two eps so far, but:

1) I'm fine with the pacing. Yes it's fast, yes it's rushed...but they've only got six episodes. They needed Mulder & Scully back in the X-Files office with a minimum of fuss, and the first episode done what it had to do. The acting was stiff and a bit creaky, but that's to be expected maybe after such a long break playing the characters.

By far my biggest problem with the first episode, is that is craps all over nine full seasons of what went before it. So much has been seen in the show, alien shapeshifting bounty hunters, alien rebels with mutilated faces battling the aliens who wish to colonise Earth, the sacrificing of loved ones (Samantha et al) to the aliens by the conspirators as a form of collateral, alien human hybrids being created to resist the colonization, the black oil...the list goes on. Are they seriously saying none of any of this matters now, and it was all man made? I'd be royally, royally, disappointed if that turns out to the final say - though Mulder's source didn't confirm this, he just said Mulder was 'close' to the truth.

2) Second episode was much better, the characters are clearly more dynamic and fluid like they used to be (not saying much really :D), the humour was good, and the story was good.

Looking forward to subsequent episodes, and aside from the new 'arc' (which hopefully turns out to be only partly true), the show looks like it won't be the complete mess that was predicted by many

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭bmstuff

Myrddin wrote: »
    I've only seen the first two eps so far, but:

1) I'm fine with the pacing. Yes it's fast, yes it's rushed...but they've only got six episodes. They needed Mulder & Scully back in the X-Files office with a minimum of fuss, and the first episode done what it had to do. The acting was stiff and a bit creaky, but that's to be expected maybe after such a long break playing the characters.

By far my biggest problem with the first episode, is that is craps all over nine full seasons of what went before it. So much has been seen in the show, alien shapeshifting bounty hunters, alien rebels with mutilated faces battling the aliens who wish to colonise Earth, the sacrificing of loved ones (Samantha et al) to the aliens by the conspirators as a form of collateral, alien human hybrids being created to resist the colonization, the black oil...the list goes on. Are they seriously saying none of any of this matters now, and it was all man made? I'd be royally, royally, disappointed if that turns out to the final say - though Mulder's source didn't confirm this, he just said Mulder was 'close' to the truth.

2) Second episode was much better, the characters are clearly more dynamic and fluid like they used to be (not saying much really :D), the humour was good, and the story was good.

Looking forward to subsequent episodes, and aside from the new 'arc' (which hopefully turns out to be only partly true), the show looks like it won't be the complete mess that was predicted by many

Oh wait til you watch episode 3...

• Advertisement

bmstuff wrote: »
    Oh wait til you watch episode 3...

Did you even watch the original run? There were plenty of episodes like that in the original series

Advertisement