Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The X-Files - Season 10 & 11 [** Spoilers **]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,343 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

This type of slapstick comedy has always been a part of the X-Files. Thought that was good fun. Strange to have one of these in a 6-episode mini series but people are taking this way too seriously!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭bmstuff

Did you even watch the original run? There were plenty of episodes like that in the original series

Yeah I am a grown man I watched all the good US TV series since the eighties.

This kind of episode, number 3, is typical when there has been lots of episodes before and the writer is on vacation or a strike and or is running seriously out of ideas. They have to write original stories on a weekly basis. Hard enough to be honest.

So once in a while you have a dumb episode, or a flashback episode. That's fine.

But doing such a dumb 3rd episode on a come back like this that counts 6 episodes in total, is a big mistake and lazy choice.

Period!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I really enjoyed this but then I always liked Darin Morgan's scripts in both 'The X-Files' and 'Millennium'. Think it was good to show the range of the type of episodes the show can do: we've had a conspiracy episode, a monster-of-the-week and now a comedy.
    As to looking to focus on an arc: the alien conspiracy was a load of convoluted nonsense by the end and I'd have preferred to have heard next to nothing of it because there's no rescuing it..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭sonic85

they should've just concentrated on monster of the week episodes like someone suggested earlier in this thread. six episodes isn't long enough for anything else.

get Doug Hutchison back as tooms!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,252 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Looks like this episode is either loved or hated.

I liked it because Mulder came from wanting to believe to believing.

The references to previous episodes (both by story line and previous cast & crew) were throughout the whole episode clearly visible.

Also let's face it, the Story of the "monster" mirrors Mulder's Story and through the "monsters" own story he get's Mulder to the point of what Mulder has been longing to do: believe.

Again, this should have been shown as Episode 2 rather than 3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,700 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Speaking as someone who has fond memories of the series, but who wouldn't call himself a fanatic - I thoroughly enjoyed Episode Three. It was silly, charming and witty. David Duchovny seemed to have woken from his slumbers and if there was maybe a little lack of Gillian Anderson the fantastical bonking scene more than made up for it.

It teetered in the edge more than once, in mortal danger of going down the meta-hole. But I'm going to cut it some slack - The dialouge was snappy; scenes had a good comic rythm to them. The script was subvervise and clever without being too pleased with itself: I still wanted to know how it all played in the end out regardless of the goofiness.

I think people who are left nonplussed after this episode do have some grounds for their dissapointment: It was a very silly episode and with such a small amount of shows still to come, you would wonder if it's a bit of a cop-out on the creators part to use some of their finite resources to poking fun at the x-files, rather than delivering something new and amazing - even if a type of self-reflexive comedy episode was always there in the shows original run. I guess creativity is hard to come by. And I can't truly hate parody if it's done as well as it was here.

Really I think people who are hating on this should focus their anger elsewhere. The episode set out to be a comedic 44 minutes and on those terms I think it succeeded. Compare that to the atrocity that was the opening episode and the fairly lukewarm second: I don't think people should be too down on something that meets its brief, even if it isn't to your own personal tastes. Besides, I wouldn't have much faith that anything that remains in the season is going to surpass it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

Sure it was not the usual, but at least Mulder can now believe that something is out there because he has first hand knowledge after the internet debunked most of his previous investigations.

"Mulder, the internet isn't good for you" is now in the running for my single favourite X-Files line ever :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,252 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

I just installed the "x-files" ringtone onto my phone, if it's good enough for Mulder, it's good enough for me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,565 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Ah, I loved the third episode. Very Darin Morgan in the scene cuts and beats. Some great nods in there too. Quagmire, Kim Manners, phone ring tone - the hotel manager was the psychic in Clyde Brookman and Scully's immortality. Enjoyed Rhys Darby in full flow.

A mortgage. Whatever that is. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

Parody episode, but funny.

Anyone know if the old seasons of X files are available on Netflix or other streaming services ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,565 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I believe it's on US Netflix.

Meanwhile...if you're a shipper, which I'm not.

https://twitter.com/Gi82ll/status/694573805147164672

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

Well we know from the motel owner that they were sleeping in separate rooms so they were not back together in this episode.Really enjoyed this epiosde, was up there with my all-time favourite funny xfiles episode "Bad Blood". I think it also had some improvemnts in Duchovny's acting. He looked bored in the first two episodes.
    Anyone know how the reboot is doing ratings wise?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,442 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

So far of the First 3 episodes of the new series of X-Files I really liked the first one thought the second one was not great and the third one was just silly not really that good either. The special effects were very bad too looked like something out of a B movie really bad. Am hoping the fourth episode will be better.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

AMKC wrote: »
    So far of the First 3 episodes of the new series of X-Files I really liked the first one thought the second one was not great and the third one was just silly not really that good either. The special effects were very bad too looked like something out of a B movie really bad. Am hoping the fourth episode will be better.

The effects were intentional. Honestly do people only remember the super serious previous episodes or what?

I believe it's on US Netflix.

Meanwhile...if you're a shipper, which I'm not.

https://twitter.com/Gi82ll/status/694573805147164672

shipper?

shipper?

Relationshipper
    UST - unresolved sexual tension and various other abbreviations from back in the day. ;)
    The MSR - Mulder/Scully relationship
    People 'ship' Mulder and Scully, want them to get together romantically. The term was first associated with the X Files, but it comes up in other fandoms.

Despite never really being a fan back in the day, I enjoyed episode 1 and 2. However Ep 3 was an endurance test for me. I get that it was deliberately surreal, comedic and self referential. But I just didn't find it funny or enjoyable at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

It's a 50/50 split.
    I found it to be surreal and, once I got over the shock, loved every minute

This. Exactly this.

I didn't really know what was going on for a while. Once I realised, I just couldn't stop smiling!

Rhys Darby deserves an award for this episode. He was absolutely incredible. The more things that can find a way to fit him in, the better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    This type of slapstick comedy has always been a part of the X-Files. Thought that was good fun. Strange to have one of these in a 6-episode mini series but people are taking this way too seriously!

The 3rd ep was strange, but I remember there was an ep in which Gillian Anderson was off on maternity leave & Scully was involved with vampires afaik, incidentally the ep was called 3 :p
    sonic85 wrote: »
    they should've just concentrated on monster of the week episodes like someone suggested earlier in this thread. six episodes isn't long enough for anything else.

get Doug Hutchison back as tooms!

That's one ep that sticks out was Eugene Tooms, slippery character he was!
    Parody episode, but funny.

Anyone know if the old seasons of X files are available on Netflix or other streaming services ?

There's an essential X-Files collection shown every mon nite on 5
    1st season afaik is shown nightly on the channel H2 with double ep @ midnite

Looking fwd to the 4th to see if it's a change in direction!

• Advertisement

Anyone can tell me which season and ep there was a guy who was convinced his boss was a lizard ?

Like that David Ichke sh'ite , but was a good episode ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭brian_t

There's an essential X-Files collection shown every mon nite on 5

Darin Morgan who wrote "Mulder and Scully Meet the Were-Monster" also wrote the season 3 episode "Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose".

This episode is one of five that 5* is showing on Sunday night.

Starting at 8pm they have :-

S1 E1 - The Pilot

S1 E3 - Squeeze (Eugene Victor Tooms)

S5 E12 - Bad Blood

S4 E2 - Home

S3 E4 - Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose

Anyone can tell me which season and ep there was a guy who was convinced his boss was a lizard ?

Season 5 episode 19 Folie à Deux

Mentioned here at no. 10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

I'm watching this on RTE2 now. Fukking desperate. It;s like a bad parody of the old X-Files. Scary movie/Disaster Movie/Epic Movie bad. What were they thinking?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

brian_t wrote: »
    Darin Morgan who wrote "Mulder and Scully Meet the Were-Monster" also wrote the season 3 episode "Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose".

This episode is one of five that 5* is showing on Sunday night.

Starting at 8pm they have :-

S1 E1 - The Pilot

S1 E3 - Squeeze (Eugene Victor Tooms)

S5 E12 - Bad Blood

S4 E2 - Home

S3 E4 - Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose

I see that it's billed in the listings as The X-Files Countdown Greatest Episodes Ever 8-1am

Also ahead of its premiere on 5 tomoro, there's X-Files Re-Opened @8.30 pm

I watched "Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose" on DVD this afternoon and thought it was excellent.

This episode won an Emmy for Outstanding Individual Achievement in Writing for a Drama Series and the guest star Peter O'Boyle won for Outstanding Guest Actor in a Drama Series.

I would recommend it to anyone dissappointed by this weeks offering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,631 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I've just watched the first episode on channel 5. They played it really straight so It took me a while to get into the frame of mind but it got me in the end. Cigarette smoking man in the Last scene was hilarious

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Just catching up, the 3rd episode was great, surprised so many people are complaining about it. It was typical of the old style off the wall amusing episodes they had. It was great fun, and Rhys Darby was great, as always.

The first by comparison was awful, the 2nd was something we've all seen before on the X-Files itself. As I said at the start of the thread, anything involving that story arc is usually boring as feic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭jones

The mythology arc is just too convoluted at this stage to really make any sense of it. The future of the xfiles IMO is the monster of the week stories

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,264 ✭✭✭Elessar

Just watched episode4 and have to say it was superb - this is the old x-files I remember! The story was neatly tight like a proper episode, the spacing was just right and the dialogue was good. Has the hallmark of chris carter directing or an experience x-files director on it. Best of the lot yet IMO in terms of singular episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

Elessar wrote:
    Best of the lot yet IMO in terms of singular episodes.

Great! Can't wait!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Marje

Elessar wrote: »
    Just watched episode4 and have to say it was superb - this is the old x-files I remember! The story was neatly tight like a proper episode, the spacing was just right and the dialogue was good. Has the hallmark of chris carter directing or an experience x-files director on it. Best of the lot yet IMO in terms of singular episodes.

Episode was directed by Glen Morgan (and he co-wrote it with Chris Carter)

I'm still trying to decide if episode 3 was good or not. Think I'll need to watch it again.

I enjoyed tonight's episode.
    Going to guess their son William is going to appear as they keep mentioning him

Trailer for episode 5

• Registered Users Posts: 33,757 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Great start to this episode.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I enjoyed it and all but I re-watched "Home" last night on the hope that "Home Again" would be a sequel. It wasn't :(

Did enjoy some of the humour in this, particularly Mulder's quip about the Trashman using the wrong bin for the head. Anderson also put her strongest performance in (by far) this season.

Didn't like this episode at all, far too melodramatic from Scully. It reminded me of the last X-files film which I really disliked primarily because they made her so weak when she was always such a great strong character. Also I never really liked those MOTW eps that were really just thinly veiled political commentaries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭steve_r

Dandelion6 wrote: »
    Didn't like this episode at all, far too melodramatic from Scully. It reminded me of the last X-files film which I really disliked primarily because they made her so weak when she was always such a great strong character. Also I never really liked those MOTW eps that were really just thinly veiled political commentaries.

I think I would describe her as grieving as opposed to weak but I see where you are coming from. The monologues were a bit overcooked and Mulder saying nothing was strange (he never seems to talk about William?).

The political aspect of it, yeah unneccesary. The one they did on race was notoriously bad. I think this was a decent episode overall if you took that out.

The William storyline of the original series could have been done better. It's hard to buy them giving up the child for it's own safety given that they both ended up leaving the FBI and living in safety for all these years, with Scully in the hospital and Mulder in seclusion. I think at the time the writers just wanted the baby off the scene.

I think it depends how the subsequent episodes play out. If it's a satisfying conclusion, we might be kinder to this episode.

If they make a balls of it tho.....(2008 movie I'm looking at you!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,381 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

So was she just imagining William's name every time the phone rang?

That flashback to Scully in the hospital showed how different Mulder looked back then. Don't really realise the changes until you see old and new together. Same as any time they do flashbacks in Supernatural.

Will the next 2 episodes be a 2 part finale? Didn't watch the trailer for the next episode since trailers usually have spoilers.

CastorTroy wrote: »
    So was she just imagining William's name every time the phone rang?

That flashback to Scully in the hospital showed how different Mulder looked back then. Don't really realise the changes until you see old and new together. Same as any time they do flashbacks in Supernatural.

Will the next 2 episodes be a 2 part finale? Didn't watch the trailer for the next episode since trailers usually have spoilers.

That was my reading of it as well that she was just imagining William calling. It was odd the way they filmed it - it was like it was dream or something. Totally agree with how shocking it was to see Mulder so young in the flashback scenes.

Enjoyed the episode some genuinely jumpy parts in it. I think episodes 2,3 and 4 have all been strong after a stumbling start for me. The parody episode (which i'm now going to call it) was good and i thought it was genuinely funny at times although i can see why it wouldnt be someones cup of tea.

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Will the next 2 episodes be a 2 part finale? .

It doesn't look like it but the last episode seems to be connected to the first.

The first episode was called "My Struggle"

The final episode will be called "My Struggle II"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

A good episode but I had to laugh at Scully just nonchalantly turning to Mulder and asking where the Thrashman could've gone from the room a split second after they discovered that man who was torn to pieces :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

Episode 4 was more classic X-Files, but there's far too much going on, it's almost like it's rushed - trying to squeeze in so much.

Episode 3 was a masterpiece, so it was always going to be hard to trump it.
    Is it basically a redo of the film "Signs", with Mulder instead of Mel. The loss and regaining of faith of one person - with aliens and cornfields.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Jaden wrote: »
    Episode 4 was more classic X-Files, but there's far too much going on, it's almost like it's rushed - trying to squeeze in so much.......

I know what you mean, but, I feel a lot if shows now could learn a lot from this mini season.

I'm looking at you Fear the Walking Dead - could fit those 6 episodes into one new X-Files episode.

I liked this one, ending was kinda meh, like Trash man was forgotten about or something.

I know what you mean, but, I feel a lot if shows now could learn a lot from this mini season.

I'm looking at you Fear the Walking Dead - could fit those 6 episodes into one new X-Files episode.

I liked this one, ending was kinda meh, like Trash man was forgotten about or something.

He changed his head with a smiley face at the end didn't he?...the "Smileyfaced killer" could be next week's monster :-)

Ms

I quite enjoyed last nights episode thought it was really good. Only one thing do they never caught the killer so could we see the Trash man again sometime?

It was a much better episode than episode 3. So far I think episode 1 and 4 have been the best with 2 next and then the third one.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Ms

I quite enjoyed last nights episode thought it was really good. Only one thing do they never caught the killer so could we see the Trash man again sometime?

It was a much better episode than episode 3. So far I think episode 1 and 4 have been the best with 2 next and then the third one.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Don't really like this monster of the week format to be honest, I thought they would have changed it to keep up with modern TV - still enjoyable though .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,258 ✭✭✭✭km79

Don't really like this monster of the week format to be honest, I thought they would have changed it to keep up with modern TV - still enjoyable though .

we have enough modern TV that's part of the appeal :D

Am I the only one who first thought the Trashman (because of his build) was the Bounty Hunter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,962 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Dandelion6 wrote: »
    Am I the only one who first thought the Trashman (because of his build) was the Bounty Hunter?

Was my first thought as well.

Mostly enjoyed 10.04. Last week was Scully-lite, hence the focus this time around. I found the mother thing a bit maudlin, tbh. Was OK with throwbacks to One Breath and a few others.

The bin lorry, coffee machine, monster, music and lightning was of course a strong nod to the classic tone and mood of the show, including the form/visuals of the monster. But, the monster aspect in particular and watching it today, it's hard not to think of Supernatural.

Back in the day. :cool:

• Advertisement
Advertisement