Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The X-Files - Season 10 & 11 [** Spoilers **]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

What this series has done in its 4 episodes is compel me to watch it all again from the start :)

It is due a re-watch anyway tbh, must be about 4 years since I watched some of the original series.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

We've started watching it from Season 1 in our house too, up to E11, still holds up very well, my 12 year old son is hooked :o.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,567 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I think the basketball references, etc, were for David's benefit.

https://twitter.com/GillianA/status/697886376650502144

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 25,018 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

MayoForSam wrote: »
    We've started watching it from Season 1 in our house too, up to E11, still holds up very well, my 12 year old son is hooked :o.

I'm on Season two, it loses it's way a bit but still fantastic and holds up so well. Looks great in HD too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Loughc wrote: »
    I'm on Season two, it loses it's way a bit but still fantastic and holds up so well. Looks great in HD too.

The show genuinely gets a lot better and stays pretty much consistently good right up until around season 7 (there's still the odd good episode).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

Just watched the new episode Babylon. That was a weird one...

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,610 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

I kind of have enough of the "quirky" episodes now , I'd like a rollicking 2 or 3 part finale to round out the series nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭thesultan

What the Christ was that Muller dream sequence about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

I really don't know what to make of that lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭sebcity

What the hell is going on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

thesultan wrote: »
    What the Christ was that Muller dream sequence about?

Well, Christ, Allah, the devil, line dancing, fifty shades of naughty and all other shroom related stuff. Little known appendix of the FBI procedural handbook that - when all else fails, score some gear off the science section and relax.
    I liked it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

Now that was a filler of an episode.

Dream sequence was genuinely hilarious at first but went on way too long.

Miller and Einstein managed to be even less appealing than Doggett and Reyes, some accomplishment.

Expecting to see your man's lumpy head in my nightmares tonight :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Anyone see a Miller and Einstein spin-off?

Anyone catch
    The Lone Gunmen
    in the dream sequence? Guess that's the sum of
    their appearance for the series

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Anyone see a Miller and Einstein spin-off?

I hope not. Both characters lacked the charisma of either Mully/Sculder, or even of Booth/Bones.

My first thought when I saw them, and what I said to herself was "Is this X-Files: The Next Generation?"

Again, I hope not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

I hope not too. I liked Einstein but Miller is a Ken doll.

I enjoyed this episode better than many of the others but still, as others said, we've had enough quirk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

I dunno, I'm not sure at all what the actual point of the mini series has been really... I have enjoyed most of the episodes alright, just don't think it has added anything to the show. It has pretty much convinced me they would not be able to capture the magic again anyway. I thought I saw a couple of glimpses here and there and got hopeful about maybe a full length season, but tbh if this is going to be the standard then I would just as soon leave it as it is when it ends.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

After episode 1, I feel really left down.

It reminds me a little bit of something Lost used to do. There'd be a pivotal episode with dozens of questions brought up and you'd be "I cant wait for next week", and then the following week wouldn't mention any of the events of the previous week. After episode 1, they'd seem to have uncovered something important, but theres been no mention of it since. We had a couple of "monster of the week" episodes, which were a bit meh, apart from last weeks which I enjoyed.

I think they just didn't know what to do with it after episode 1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

To be fair, X-Files has pretty much always been like that, there'd be a handful of so called mythology episodes which would feed into the whole alien conspiracy thing with the rest being a random selection of stuff.

The latest episode though was utter rubbish, the writers themselves must have been on magic mushrooms when they were making it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I thought they were supposed to be rebooting interest in this show, what is going on in Carter's head thinking Babylon should be included in a 6 episode return?

It was a terribly contrived and awful written piece of comical thrash, subtle as a brick to the face with it's social and religious commentaries.

Einstein and Miller were pretty shíte contrasts to Mulder and Scully, Miller looks like he's a hair's-width away from turning into a religious fanatic while I found Einstein to be just thoroughly unlikable.

Mulder's dream sequence started funny but went on waaaaay too long, I was cringing by the end. Seeing Skinner dolled up in full line-dancing gear was quite.........something. If that appearance of
    The Lone Gunmen
    is all we get then what an absolute waste.

They really should dial down the quirky humour, too much is going to sink this reboot. The 2nd episode has been the only one I've really liked this season that felt like a regular X-Files episode, the others just feel like goofy pisstakes of the show.

I don't mind the idea of monster of the week episodes in between the mythology at all, but if this is all they can come up with after having 13 years to work it out then it doesn't bode well for it's future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 Ghostmutt

For Me The Show Jumped the shark last night

Episode 1 was called "My Struggle". Episode 6 is, according to Wikipedia, "My Struggle 2", so presumably it will follow the events of Episode 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Marje

syklops wrote: »
    Episode 1 was called "My Struggle". Episode 6 is, according to Wikipedia, "My Struggle 2", so presumably it will follow the events of Episode 1.

It seems to have some of the actors from episode 1 going by the trailer.

Episode 5 - I'm guessing if Miller and Einstein were generally liked they might do a spin-off of some sort. I don't think that will happen.
    I thought the story line (i.e. terrorists) is covered in loads of other shows and they could have done something different. The trippy sequence was too long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I found this the poorest episode of the season.

When I saw Einstein and Miller introduced I thought 'okay, it's a little nod to Mulder and Scully's origins. It will fill a few minutes of dialogue'. I was astonished when they then became central to the episode. Miller in particular just seemed way too unrealistic.

The dream sequence started off funny but the whole thing ultimately felt shallow and unsatisfying. And the ending with the philosophy and the final shot of the globe just felt hokey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,011 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I really didn't think the X-Files would go down the typical Islamic terrorism route I kept expecting a twist.

I then started thinking why they went that way and wondered if FOX/Murdoch's right wing agenda put pressure on them to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 770 ✭✭✭viztopia

Mother of God but that has to have been one of the worse episodes ever....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭TonyD79

Loughc wrote: »

Where are you watching it on HD?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I really didn't think the X-Files would go down the typical Islamic terrorism route I kept expecting a twist.
    I did too. They should leave that stuff to something like "Homeland". I put it down to Chris Carter, who was never the strongest writer anyway. He made a mess of the first episode.

Weak enough episode and Miller (who was just The Flash's Firestorm to me) and Einstein were pretty flat. Hope they don't
    The 2nd episode has been the only one I've really liked this season that felt like a regular X-Files episode, the others just feel like goofy pisstakes of the show.
    Huh? The 1st and 4th episodes were goofy? Didn't seem them as being any different to many of the regular episodes.

People being surprised by the alien arc being ignored after the first mustn't recall that's how it always went. It was frustrating 20 years ago too! It's something that can occur in a lot of shows but at least something like 'Supernatural' (where they'd take a break from the apocalypse for a MOTW) would at least acknowledge it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

A Muslim terrorist cell, well that was lazy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,264 ✭✭✭✭km79

Didn't enjoy that one bit
    And I pray to God or Allah or whoever there is no plans for a spinoff with the 2 !
    Anyway we shall never speak of this episode again :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭jones

Just finished the episode there. It wasn't bad at all imo. Definitely not a classic but I thought the dream sequence was brilliant (if a little long). Middle of the road as xfiles episodes go but in saying that the xfiles gives us something other shows don't.

Hopefully we get a few more episodes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,382 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I doubt there are plans for a spinoff. The characters were just there as clones of Scully and Mulder. Also I couldn't seeing Robbie Amell taking on a tv gig so soon after leaving his previous tv role to concentrate on his movie career

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I doubt there are plans for a spinoff. The characters were just there as clones of Scully and Mulder. Also I couldn't seeing Robbie Amell taking on a tv gig so soon after leaving his previous tv role to concentrate on his movie career

I thought people were joking when they said about about a spin off. there's no way that will happen.

I just hope they do a few more mini seasons like this one...i think if we look at how the episodes have panned out Mulder and scully seem to be getting that "banter" back that wasn't there for the bog standard first episode.

ps for the question about where someone was watching the old series in HD i'm assuming they bought the bluray boxset

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭wawaman

I was a MASSIVE fan during the original run and the fan in me from then was delighted they were coming back for a "6 part event" for nostalgia and as i assumed there would be some common thread running through the episodes. Oddly enough i enjoyed episodes 3 & 5 the most as i liked the humour and quirkiness. But enough is enough, time to say goodbye for good this time as these episodes have added nothing to the legacy of the show. Given the hype in the leadup to the start i have found the lack of air time (to date) for Skinner and TLG disappointing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kunkka

wawaman wrote: »
    I was a MASSIVE fan during the original run and the fan in me from then was delighted they were coming back for a "6 part event" for nostalgia and as i assumed there would be some common thread running through the episodes. Oddly enough i enjoyed episodes 3 & 5 the most as i liked the humour and quirkiness. But enough is enough, time to say goodbye for good this time as these episodes have added nothing to the legacy of the show. Given the hype in the leadup to the start i have found the lack of air time (to date) for Skinner and TLG disappointing.

Fully agree, episode 3 made me feel ill! I know the X Files done cheese in the past but I just don't think it works now...

The new season has just made me want the bluray boxset for the original all the more!! Once it drops in price ie under €100 i'll be purchasing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Kunkka wrote: »
    Fully agree, episode 3 made me feel ill! I know the X Files done cheese in the past but I just don't think it works now...

It was the best episode so far. The deadpan performance from Rhys Darby was absolutely spot on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kunkka

It was the best episode so far. The deadpan performance from Rhys Darby was absolutely spot on.

Which is fair enough if you're in to that kind of episode. I loved the original X Files for the story regarding the conspiracies etc. I hated the silly ones that a lot of other people loved which I accept. I suppose I just hoped with the limited number of episodes it was just going to be a proper continuation of the main story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

That was a bit meh...., the next episode is a sequel of the 1st , should be good .. back to the proper story ..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Kunkka wrote: »
    Which is fair enough if you're in to that kind of episode. I loved the original X Files for the story regarding the conspiracies etc. I hated the silly ones that a lot of other people loved which I accept. I suppose I just hoped with the limited number of episodes it was just going to be a proper continuation of the main story.

Horses for courses. I said at the beginning of this thread that I felt it went downhill when it concentrated on the conspiracy nonsense, I didn't even bother watching until the end after watching it religiously until that point.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Horses for courses. I said at the beginning of this thread that I felt it went downhill when it concentrated on the conspiracy nonsense, I didn't even bother watching until the end after watching it religiously until that point.
    Agreed. The conspiracy arc started out great but devolved hugely when it became apparent that Carter hadn't a clue about it. It became convoluted nonsense, made clear by his terrible attempt to junk it all in the poor opening episode.
    Which is why I wanted more monster of the week episodes not arc. The ones we got have ranged from awful (the most recent) to weak with only the spoof episode being very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,865 ✭✭✭squonk

Strange episode this week. Like others I liked Mulder's trip but it went on a bit long. It was very funnny though but I'm left wondering why he went on a trip in the first place if Einstein had given him a placebo?

I thought the producers had finally revealed their hand when I saw Miller & Einstein. It looked like the 6 episode comeback was a clever dfevice to relaunch the show with a new set of agents. Now I'm not so sure. Maybe it'll happen though it's hard to know. If it does I will be happy to see Robbie Amell get regular work again apart from a bit part in The Flash.

If there isn't a Miller/Einstein relaunch then I'm left wondering just what the point of the comeback really is!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭sonic85

Theres a real need to dig a big hole put this mini series in it and bury it for good. What a huge let down this has turned out to be. The little sequence with mulder prancing around reminded me of toby maguire in spiderman 3. Utterly awful.

The bin man episode was grand but reminded me too much of kaddish and the golem. Just shows the level of effort gone into this to make it original and stand up on its own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,580 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

squonk wrote: »
    Strange episode this week. Like others I liked Mulder's trip but it went on a bit long. It was very funnny though but I'm left wondering why he went on a trip in the first place if Einstein had given him a placebo?

I thought the producers had finally revealed their hand when I saw Miller & Einstein. It looked like the 6 episode comeback was a clever dfevice to relaunch the show with a new set of agents. Now I'm not so sure. Maybe it'll happen though it's hard to know. If it does I will be happy to see Robbie Amell get regular work again apart from a bit part in The Flash.

If there isn't a Miller/Einstein relaunch then I'm left wondering just what the point of the comeback really is!

It would be a show to be avoided if they became the new protagonists. They are crudely moulded versions of Mulder and Scully. I'd prefer to see Doggett and Reyes return that watch those two cartoon characters again.

Glazers Out!

Anyone know if the finale is going to be a longer episode? Hope they don't try cram a pile of stuff in and rush through it like the first one. Be nice if they went out on a high with a great episode.

• Advertisement

nullzero wrote: »
    It would be a show to be avoided if they became the new protagonists. They are crudely moulded versions of Mulder and Scully. I'd prefer to see Doggett and Reyes return that watch those two cartoon characters again.

Agreed I'll vomit if they ever reappear

km79 wrote: »
    Agreed I'll vomit if they ever reappear

They're in the final episode! Well, he is so I presume both are.

alwaysadub wrote: »
    They're in the final episode! Well, he is so I presume both are.

oh dear God
    why would they back again if there are not future plans for them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elfy4eva

km79 wrote: »
    oh dear God
    why would they back again if there are not future plans for them

I suspect a reboot also I feel if they we're going to push for a conclusive ending to the franchise they'd have used more of the episodes for mythology. I can't see the one remaining episode being enough to make a satisfying ending, and I can't see Duchovny and Anderson being in it for the long haul either.

Seriously hope I'm wrong though.

EDIT: Just reading that Duchovny and Anderson actually do have a willingness for another renewal! So there's hope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,865 ✭✭✭squonk

Maybe the producers are playing the long game. Give Duchovny/Anderson another mini season and give them Miller & Einstein as sidekicks which also gives the kids time to grow into their roles more?

I have to say I enjoyed X Files for what it was back in the day and the new series hasn't exactly set my world on fire bar the sense of nostalgia I felt for the first episode or two. I don't think I want more if it's not Mulder and Scully. It was a good show in it's day. Let's just leave it at that!

• Advertisement
Advertisement