Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The X-Files - Season 10 & 11 [** Spoilers **]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,264 ✭✭✭✭km79

squonk wrote: »
    Maybe the producers are playing the long game. Give Duchovny/Anderson another mini season and give them Miller & Einstein as sidekicks which also gives the kids time to grow into their roles more?

I have to say I enjoyed X Files for what it was back in the day and the new series hasn't exactly set my world on fire bar the sense of nostalgia I felt for the first episode or two. I don't think I want more if it's not Mulder and Scully. It was a good show in it's day. Let's just leave it at that!

I think you have nailed it there to be honest
    They may as well forget about it though whenever the time comes that Mulder and Scully don't want it anymore
    It would be like remaking friends with new friends !

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,567 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Carter's standalones are generally fine, good. He needs to stay from the conspiracy/mythology and that writing voice.

Slight headscratcher of an episode in some respects with 10.05, but I enjoyed its rhythms and Lauren Ambrose jumped in with both feet. I was smiling a good bit in final 10 minutes. I know the trumpet thing will annoy the shippers because they didn't kiss. Some nice nods to the pilot. The basement office feels quite thin compared to back in the day, not that I expect it to be exactly the same, it can't be given their status in the Bureau.

I think that was the first time we've seen Mulder hauling luggage, partner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I was kinda sad that the Lone Gunman weren't featured in this properly, especially the Rhys Darby one where they would have been perfect for the overall ridiculous tone. Their episodes were always a lot of fun.

This has been really poor for the mostpart. Some of the attempts to seem cool and "with it" made it seem like the writing was extremely hacky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,444 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I only just finished watching the latest episode today and have to say that I enjoyed it. Mulder's trip was quiet funny. I agree that I think the producers are trying to set up Einstein and Miller for a new show and to take over from Mulder and Scully and I don,t have a problem with that. Will be interesting to see what they have done and how they finished this mini series run in the next episode.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

A lot of us who remember the original are now in our 40s and won't be watching a spin-off. A lot of kids in their teens are not watching this and will lap up a rehash of the old episodes.
    Einstein has the charisma of a Gillian Anderson, the male model not....a 50% recast is needed there.
    Meanwhile, not being an X file junkie ever I'll await Twin Peaks Redux nervously.

And David Duchovny never took the show or acting in general seriously so watching him being honest on placebo mushrooms was a laugh. Yes, those of us who were on E during the 90s line dancing craze saw things. Weird things. People who were on mineral water also saw weird things but thats just Country n' Western for ya.

AMKC wrote: »
    I only just finished watching the latest episode today and have to say that I enjoyed it. Mulder's trip was quiet funny. I agree that I think the producers are trying to set up Einstein and Miller for a new show and to take over from Mulder and Scully and I don,t have a problem with that. Will be interesting to see what they have done and how they finished this mini series run in the next episode.
    Xfiles without Mulder And Scully full time
    Forget about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

km79 wrote: »
    Xfiles without Mulder And Scully full time
    Forget about it

You must not have watched the original series all the way?

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

You must not have watched the original series all the way?

All the way through 3 times
    Full time
    As in neither Mulder or Scully appearing in it
    Ever
    Again
    It would be a monumental mistake.
    As I said earlier would be like rebooting friends
    Certain series won't work without the original cast
    This is one
    Sacrilegious !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I'll put spoilers around this just in case, even though it's been public knowledge for a while and was mentioned already in the thread, but...

***Season 10 finale spoiler***
    Agent Monica Reyes is said to return for the episode. That has me very happy as I liked her character. I don't think Agent Doggett will be involved though which is a shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Marje

I'll put spoilers around this just in case, even though it's been public knowledge for a while and was mentioned already in the thread, but...

***Season 10 finale spoiler***
    Agent Monica Reyes is said to return for the episode. That has me very happy as I liked her character. I don't think Agent Doggett will be involved though which is a shame.

I thought it was well known she would appear - clip from episode 6

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,011 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I'm really not sure what to think with that ending.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

What the **** lads

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elfy4eva

Not sure what to think of it either TBH.
    That cliffhanger would be a sad as Fcuk way to end the show if they can't manage a renewal after this. And i'm not sure it deserves one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭MargeS

Nooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

elfy4eva wrote: »
    Not sure what to think of it either TBH.
    That cliffhanger would be a sad as Fcuk way to end the show if they can't manage a renewal after this. And i'm not sure it deserves one.

It doesn't deserve a renewal, two out of six episodes were good, the other four were utter dross, episodes that would have looked bad even during seasons nine and ten.
    The stakes in the finale are also ridiculous, it's basically going to be Alien DNA homoeopathy by the time Scully gets her magic IV drips out to everyone. They probably should have just made the entire six episode run about the kill-off of humanity in preparation for colonisation, at least that way it probably would have been worthwhile and had an actual ending.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

Thought my stream had just died till I realised. Don't know how I feel about the ending. They haven't even decided if there is going to be an 11th season. So it's going to be a long wait even if they do renew it.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Marje

Hard to know where they could go on from that ending. I enjoyed the episode and would watch it if it came back
    David Duchovny tweeted
    The truth is on hiatus

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

What a load of utter rubbish.

Once again it has terrible racing - rushed out of nowhere. The threat was badly represented with no sense of time scale or how the world was coping: We're told infrastructure is collapsing for example but see little of it beyond a few people milling around a hospital.
    Mulder and Scully spend the episode apart and we're left with the drab sidekicks. Probably didn't matter too much because the actors looked bored throughout.
    The why / how seemed something that the National Enquirer would balk at, with Carter grabbing some doctors to give the infection part a veneer of credibility. Quite how they'd synthesise a cure for a global infection from Dana's blood when their infrastructure has collapsed is probably not something we need worry about since I'm sure Carter hasn't.

Pileggi and Gish were a wasted opportunity (and in fact was a bit of a slap in the face to Reyes).

The dialogue also had classic gems, my favourite being Skinner's: "This is a scientist!"
    But it was was Scully who said it best in this episode: "This is nonsense".

Very very disappointed :(
    Only good thing is we will prob get another series :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

ixoy wrote: »
    What a load of utter rubbish.

Once again it has terrible racing - rushed out of nowhere. The threat was badly represented with no sense of time scale or how the world was coping: We're told infrastructure is collapsing for example but see little of it beyond a few people milling around a hospital.
    Mulder and Scully spend the episode apart and we're left with the drab sidekicks. Probably didn't matter too much because the actors looked bored throughout.
    The why / how seemed something that the National Enquirer would balk at, with Carter grabbing some doctors to give the infection part a veneer of credibility. Quite how they'd synthesise a cure for a global infection from Dana's blood when their infrastructure has collapsed is probably not something we need worry about since I'm sure Carter hasn't.

Pileggi and Gish were a wasted opportunity (and in fact was a bit of a slap in the face to Reyes).

The dialogue also had classic gems, my favourite being Skinner's: "This is a scientist!"
    But it was was Scully who said it best in this episode: "This is nonsense".

Summed up my own thoughts exactly.

It felt very rushed to the point that it was disconcerting and almost impossible to invest emotionally in anything that was happening. Mulder was on the brink of death it seemed and yet I couldn't really care about it because everything was so hectic.

I would have appreciated a sense of the wider public concerns. Some news bulletins etc. but we had to rely on the conspiracy guy and that felt rather amateurish and cheap to me.

Skinner and Reyes were so badly misused it's ridiculous.

The blood thing I just couldn't get into at all. The ending was interesting but of course they ended it right after! It was a big rush to lead up to the grand finale of...it ending.

Very disappointed. I do retain affection for the show and I would like to see another series but it needs a big improvement and frankly the alien stuff probably does need to be parked as others have said. When they outlined the history at the start it really began to sink in just how crazy and convoluted the whole thing is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭sonic85

its not worth resurrecting if this mini series is anything to go by.

mulders dead anyway surely? although I suppose they'll come up with some
    bullsh!t way of dancing around that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,580 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Summed up my own thoughts exactly.

It felt very rushed to the point that it was disconcerting and almost impossible to invest emotionally in anything that was happening. Mulder was on the brink of death it seemed and yet I couldn't really care about it because everything was so hectic.

I would have appreciated a sense of the wider public concerns. Some news bulletins etc. but we had to rely on the conspiracy guy and that felt rather amateurish and cheap to me.

Skinner and Reyes were so badly misused it's ridiculous.

The blood thing I just couldn't get into at all. The ending was interesting but of course they ended it right after! It was a big rush to lead up to the grand finale of...it ending.

Very disappointed. I do retain affection for the show and I would like to see another series but it needs a big improvement and frankly the alien stuff probably does need to be parked as others have said. When they outlined the history at the start it really began to sink in just how crazy and convoluted the whole thing is.

It simply needs to return to the original production values, colour pallet and most importantly tone. The premise of this series wasn't (two comedy episodes aside) all that different to what was present in the original run.
    There was obviously a feeling that they needed to appeal to a younger audience and also feel up to date.
    The most jarring aspect of this series to me was the modernity of its appearance. The x files had, particularly in its early seasons such a beautiful look to it, it wasn't a cheesy TV land type of show, it felt gritty and edgy, these elements need to be reintroduced with a greater level of urgency than anything else. The story was always far fetched and convoluted, it was the shows tone and appearance that allowed the viewer to suspend disbelief just enough to make it such an absorbing experience.
    Hopefully if a new series is to be made these areas will be addressed.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 337 ✭✭hotshots85

That was ****e....

I can see the meeting that must have took place

"Right, we have six episodes, first one is a recap of what's happened the last 12 years.. After that we'll have four with a few monsters, we'll go heavy on the political messages, few laughs and throw in a mushroom trip"

" but sir we got a 6 episode run, and we haven't dealt with the conspiracy, smoking man, barely seen skinner, and the end of the world stuff they talked about"

" sure throw it all in the last episode...."

"But .... "

"Just do it.. And mention sciency **** a lot, say stem cells, Dna and Chem trails. Crap, It's lunchtime just throw a space ship in a then end!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

km79 wrote: »
    Very very disappointed :(
    Only good thing is we will prob get another series :D

Based on the last six episodes, that wouldn't be a good thing! This was a chance to right the wrongs of the last few seasons of the X-Files. It failed miserably. I still remember the thrill the theme music gave me in my 20s, but it's fading already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

is the last episode worth watching?

• Advertisement

Keplar240B wrote: »
    is the last episode worth watching?
    Yes if you're the sort of person who likes punching themselves in the face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Wolverine359

Guys relax. It wasn't that bad. I really enjoyed seeing Mulder and Scully back together, and while this mini-season wasn't that great, I enjoyed it a lot more than most of those Doggett and Reyes episodes from season 8 and 9. With the high ratings in the States, we're hopefully looking at another mini-season next year. And I'm sure they'll take a lot of the fan reaction on board to up the ante and the quality. Try to be positive, you'll live longer! Peace out, rant over. :)

Now that it's over, I can say that on one viewing of season 10 I am overcome with 'Meh'. I'd be very close to the 'Any new Mulder and Scully episodes of the X-Files is a good thing' camp, but beyond getting to see some more of two of my all-time favourite screen characters, the 'good' was extremely limited.

Whether you are more of a fan of the 'Monster of the Week' episodes, or veer towards a preference for the mythology arc, I'm going to argue that the pacing and balance of them in this season was way off. We open with this explosive 'world at threat' episode, then the characters more or less completely forget about it for the next 4 episodes. Mulder physically touched a ship built on alien technology in the first episode and saw a covert team destroy it. He had a clandestine meeting with some supposed new X/Deep Throat character who was present (as a young doctor) when it all began in Roswell, then nothing, ever again from this man. By the next week, it may as well not have happened as we're into the MOTW episodes, which I've always been a fan of, but most of these felt like bad filler episodes from seasons 7/8/9.

There's arguments to be made that 'Founders Mutation' was a decent stand alone episode. For me though, apart from the shady doctor dropping to the ground and bleeding to death through all of his orifices, I can't remember much else from that episode.

The Were-Monster episode was definitely amusing and probably the only one I'll look forward to watching again. It offered a fresh take on the 'Were-animal' story, and kept me guessing and entertained. However, I saw fans elsewhere take that episode a bit too too seriously for what I feel it was and attempt to draw that episode's events into those of My Struggle ("Mulder has seen a monster, he's beginning to believe again" etc.) However, Mulder and Scully meet the Were-Monster had its tongue planted firmly in its cheek throughout the episode, and one of the techniques it used to achieve this was that of the unreliable narrator. That was very obvious when the monster was recounting his tale about having a hot encounter with Scully, which proved to be lies in one of the episode's funniest moments ("I lied about sex because it appears to be one of the most human things to do"). The teller for me though, was when Mulder's phone rang and his ring tone was Mark Snow's X-Files theme. Like, for real? From then on I knew what kind of episode this was and enjoyed it accordingly. I don't know what to consider real or not in that episode, but enjoyed the story told and the performances and humour it brought. To take it as a serious episode? I would be left bewildered trying to make sense of it.

Home Again had its moments of suspense, but the monster was forgettable and the story of its conception failed to engage me. Then we were onto the most un-X-Files episode of them all, Babylon. Just so I'm sure, Mulder solved this case by going on a vision quest and getting the terrorist cell's real world whereabouts from the dying suicide bomber in his vision? Ok.

Finally the finale, My Struggle II, and if you thought things felt rushed up to this point then maybe you need to strap yourself in because someone is about to hit the light-speed button. Scully immediately senses the lack of time left in the season, and therefore the Apocalypse is happening just because she met a sick guy in a hospital. Note to Chris Carter, and any screenplay writer really; Just because you have written one character who acknowledges that what another character is saying is absurd, doesn't cover your ass for writing that absurd material in the first place. When I say this, I have Agent Einstein in mind who tried everything but slap Scully across the face with a wet fish when Scully started pulling theories and solutions out of thin air.

Mulder takes a pointless enough trip to see CSM and we find out that CSM wants to cleanse the world of those who do it harm and live in his own utopia with the chosen few. So there's no aliens planning to colonise or invade the earth, just their technology being used by some men who hate their neighbours so bad that they want to kill them all. CSM is by now literally invincible, having survived being vapourised, and is now able to pull some of his face off just for the craic. I thought he was a parody by the time the original run ended, the character has now reached new heights in this.

Scully develops and mass-produces a cure, and Mulder gets carried away from CSM's house being not much the wiser in regards to what's really going on. By the time Mulder and Scully are reunited, actually a few minutes before that stage, I knew there was too little time left for a resolution of any kind, and so did Chris Carter obviously. I can imagine the writer's room: "We've got 2 pages left to pull it all together, any suggestions?...How about another abduction and we do a 'Lost' with the camera zooming into Scully's eye?...Brilliant, that's lunch!"

It all felt very rushed with little room for anything to breathe, and zero subtlety. Rather than spend the 6 episodes devoting a bit of time to such a large-scale story and showing us a bit more, we were left to a finale where the characters mostly explained to us what was happening. Even an extra mythology episode in the middle of the season in place of one of those lacklustre MOTW episodes might have helped.

There was nothing memorable at all for me really from that season. I wasn't expecting a new Flukeman or Tooms in terms of monsters as they were from a time when the X-Files was in its prime, but it's disappointing that this is all they could come up with given that it's probably been Carter's dream to do this since the show went off the air all those years ago.

In the time since, TV has entered a golden age and viewer's expectations have risen as a result of this. The X-Files really needed to be returning with its A game in order to try and hold a candle to any of the shows which have become household names since the turn of the century. Not only has it failed to engage me like any of those shows, it has failed to live up to any of its own standards. I saw so many attempts to service fans in this run, but these attempts just left me frustrated. Examples being the (non/mis)use of Skinner, Reyes and the name dropping of William everywhere, only having this amount to nothing but 'stemcells!' in the dying seconds of the finale. I will say though that Scully getting pissed off at a fellow driver's behaviour while she herself was tearing down the footpath GTA-style was pure gold :D

I thought I'd be hooked in, like I was with the original run even up to its sub-par final seasons, but instead I was bored at times. By the end of Home Again and Babylon, I was browsing on the laptop with the show on in the background more or less. Not how I hoped my attention would hold for a 6 episode revival of the X-Files.

In finishing, I will go back to the opening paragraph of this post. "Any new Mulder and Scully episodes of the X-Files is a good thing." I'm still in this camp. It would be different if I felt the show was dishonoring its memory by carrying on, but that horse bolted from the stable once they kept it running into the last couple of seasons of the original run. They got it wrong with this new season, but maybe mistakes can be learned from. Maybe season 11 could see 8-12 episodes. Maybe if they are only granted another 6 episodes, they will try to use them more wisely and not cram so much mythology into so little time. A lot of 'maybes' there I know, but I'm basically willing to give this one more chance if Duchovny and Anderson are still involved in the hope that the show can hit a patch of form again. However, from what season 10 has shown, I won't bank on such a patch of form being hit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Thought that was woeful and woefully badly executed. Admittedly I havent watched any of the old series since back in the day but the show was far better made than this dross..... wasn't it!?

Whoever thought doing a global pandemic in one episode was a good idea should be shot. Surely that's only something that should be a slow burn over a full season, culminating in the final episode. Cramming all that in was ludicrous.

Apart from the one-offs, it really had a feeling on an over enthusiastic fan of limited ability somehow managing to hire the original cast and making some conspiracy-babble episodes which tried their best to hark back to the old days but just went OTT completely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

That was a big pile of cr*p, my netflix was on the blink again, did it end with
    a ship hovering above and a close up shot of Scullys face/eyes ??

The best episode of this series was the 3rd, comedy that worked ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

That was a big pile of cr*p, my netflix was on the blink again, did it end with
    a ship hovering above and a close up shot of Scullys face/eyes ??

The best episode of this series was the 3rd, comedy that worked ...

That was the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

What a shíte, rushed end to an uneven series. Some good episodes but the bad or "meh" episodes outweighed the others here. They had 13 years to work this shít out! 13 years listening to people complain about what went wrong with the show!

The CSM essentially has God-mode enabled because I don't know how they saved a man who was shown turning into a skeleton when flames consumed him in the last season, I'm sure there's an X-File explanation there.......at least I hope there is................though I do enjoy seeing him in episodes :pac:

If they don't fix the problems in season 11 then this show is going to be a dead duck again.

Best thing they could do, if there's another season, is dump Chris Carter. His episodes were the weakest by a significant margin in all areas: characterisation, dialogue, plotting, structure.
    Get Glen Morgan and James Wong on as the show runners instead. Their two episodes had more of the classic feel and they could hopefully get Glen's brother Darin back. Just keep Carter away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭jones

ixoy wrote: »
    Best thing they could do, if there's another season, is dump Chris Carter. His episodes were the weakest by a significant margin in all areas: characterisation, dialogue, plotting, structure.
    Get Glen Morgan and James Wong on as the show runners instead. Their two episodes had more of the classic feel and they could hopefully get Glen's brother Darin back. Just keep Carter away.

I haven't watched the last episode yet (will tonight) but i was already on the same line of thinking as you. I think Carter is too bogged down in the mythology stuff which has gotten unmanageable at this stage.

Dump the lot of it give us 6 (or more) monster of the week episodes with Morgan/Wong at the helm and i'm in

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Thepoet85

Duggy747 wrote:
    The CSM essentially has God-mode enabled because I don't know how they saved a man who was shown turning into a skeleton when flames consumed him in the last season, I'm sure there's an X-File explanation there.......at least I hope there is................though I do enjoy seeing him in episodes

My god, I never watched the last few seasons of the original so I wasn't aware of how they dealt with csm. That just makes it all the more outrageous, and not in a good way.

Can only echo other people's sentiments here and say I didn't enjoy it for the most part and felt it was rushed.

Smother thing I didn't get, why did it seem like Scully was whispering everything she said. Was that part of some story?

Thepoet85 wrote: »
    My god, I never watched the last few seasons of the original so I wasn't aware of how they dealt with csm. That just makes it all the more outrageous, and not in a good way.

Can only echo other people's sentiments here and say I didn't enjoy it for the most part and felt it was rushed.

Smother thing I didn't get, why did it seem like Scully was whispering everything she said. Was that part of some story?
    Her voice was very croaky as well

Thepoet85 wrote: »

Nah, Gillian Anderson's voice was wrecked from crying all night once she realised just how bad the script was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭jones

Scully does sound like she's been smoking 80 major a day since she the new episodes started. The odd thing is though i didn't notice her voice like that when she was in hannibal - its hardly put on is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭sunbeam

So seeing as Mulder was abducted himself at end of season 7 should he not already have the alien dna? Or was he abducted by actual aliens who now supposedly didn't exist?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

So is there going to be an 11th season or not ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Hopefully I'll be able to steer clear of anything Chris Carter does in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Thepoet85

jones wrote: »
    Scully does sound like she's been smoking 80 major a day since she the new episodes started. The odd thing is though i didn't notice her voice like that when she was in hannibal - its hardly put on is it?

Was fine in The Fall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,055 ✭✭✭✭cena

Thank god I have the box set. What a waste of time and hype over this series. Very disappointing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭colossus-x

jones wrote: »

Well she doesn't look like she smokers 80 a day , she looks fantastic. But as for Duchovny...!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

They just ignored everything that happened in the original series, they really just **** all over the fans with this new series. I will not be watching if it comes back, piss off Chris Carter

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,567 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Mixed bag overall, I thought. Couple of throwbacks. My test for episodes of tends to be whether I checking my phone when watching, I never did that for Hannibal and other recent shows. Here, well...

I watched this legally - I feel little need to it up on DVD. Yes, it was insanely rushed. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

So after 10 seasons (11 including this one) of building up a conspiracy they do a rush job and bring it all to a head in one 40 minute show. The brand deserved more than that. The full mini series should have been devoted to it at least.

Where will it go from here? If it's given another series it's hard to see how it could revert back to monster of the week format, the world will have changed so much with the conspiracy out in the open it wouldn't be logical to focus on small cases like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭El Diablo Blanco

Yikes, what a mess this was. I was a huge fan of the show back in the day, but these six episodes weren't a patch on it. 'Founder's Mutation' and 'Babylon' were both the best of a bad bunch in my opinion, but the conspiracy stuff was absolutely dire.

Very little in the way of character development, and everything completely rushed, convoluted and incoherent. Considering Mulder's obsession with the X-Files, it would've been interesting from a dramatic standpoint to get an insight into how exactly he'd filled his days over the last thirteen years or so, but they never bothered.

Bringing back Skinner (to give him nothing to do), Mrs Scully (just to
    kill her off
    ) and Reyes (to make her
    a pawn of the CSM
    ) was all just so utterly pointless.

Good performances from the leads - Gillian Anderson, in particular, who looked like she hadn't missed a beat- but the season was laid out very poorly, and the mythology stuff was just nonsense.

It was particularly disappointing, I have to say, that they never bothered resolving/advancing the William storyline this time around.

I had low expectations for the mini-season, but unfortunately it turned out to be even slightly worse than I was expecting. Don't know if I'd want to see it back, but they've a cliffhanger to resolve, so I guess it'll return. Just hope the writing's a bit better next time around.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

This could have been good. Even going the route they went there are very easy fixes to the major problems they had but it was just sooo disappointing. I mean if this was a full season and they spent 6 or so episodes slowly developing the global epidemic storyline while filling out the rest with fun story of the weeks then great (not that the pacing was the only thing) but...

If I had never seen the original run of the show and these 6 episodes were all I had seen im fairly sure I would not want them to make more of it and if they did I probably wouldn't be tuning in.

For me episode 1 & 6 were easily the worst and that is despite me previously liking the "mythology" episodes. Far far far too rushed... it created a disconnect. Jeff "Conspiracy" Winger says x is happening, we see shots of x happening or we see a character say something that confirms it but then also makes the next big reveal and repeat... there is no actualy journey we are just repeatedly told a load of sh!t so as to move the plot along as quick as possible all the while I stop caring.

In fact there was a direct correlation with how sick people were becoming, weak characters got and how little I seemed to care about the bullsh!t they were feeding me.

The cliff hanger was so WTF as well and not in the good way the X-Files could be what a OMG reveal instead it just left us in a situation where according to what they have said Mulder really should be dead cos at the rate he is going and the fact that apparently the now need to his and Scully's kid to save him and then out of nowhere (almost Fargo-esque) we get a UFO.

Despite all that I actually want another season... for shame

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

What made the 6 episodes of Season 10 even worse was comparing them with earlier seasons in parallel - we have been watching Season 1 between the Season 10 episodes, and the recent X-Files is not a patch on the good old days. Maybe 2 recent episodes were up to par, but as everyone has said already, the conspiracy episodes were like some terrible SyFy TV movie :mad:, lazy and inconsistent writing.

Chris Carter had definitely gone all George Lucas and if the brand is ever going to be revived, it needs some fresh ideas and a different direction (and most definitely minus Agent Miller). The high viewing figures for Season 10 are strange, but then so is Fianna Fail having some may TD's elected in last week's election.

Advertisement