Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

can't boot from usb

• 24-03-2015 8:06pm

I went into the BIOS and set the USB drive as the first device but it still completely bypasses my usb....anyone got any ideas please?

After Googling I'm thinking I might have to disable UEFI and enable legacy or failing that use something called PLOP Boot Manager.

What do you guys think?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭mightyreds

if its ubuntu or some variant you have to disable UEFI before trying it and i think for older windows too

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,600 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Had the same issue before. The USB wasn't formatted properly firstly, and then didn't have a boot.INI on it to get it to start booting.

good free prgram for making them is poweriso never had to do anything other than click create and find the iso

Has the flash drive been prepared properly? Marked with an active partition?

mightyreds wrote: »
    if its ubuntu or some variant you have to disable UEFI before trying it and i think for older windows too

It's got Linux Mint installed on it alright. I used it in another computer at work and it worked fine. Went to another workstation and can't get the laptop to boot from it at all!! Can't go back to the other computer either. It's definitely not a problem with the USB cos I was able to boot from it at home too. Pesky BIOS settings are the problem.

• Advertisement

It's got Linux Mint installed on it alright. I used it in another computer at work and it worked fine. Went to another workstation and can't get the laptop to boot from it at all!! Can't go back to the other computer either. It's definitely not a problem with the USB cos I was able to boot from it at home too. Pesky BIOS settings are the problem.

yeah i had the same problem alright going in changing the bios everytime

Ok so I'll try disabling UEFI, Secure Boot and enabling CSM....I think that's everything!!!

Advertisement