Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this a zany idea?

Options
  • 24-03-2015 9:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

I'm no cook. I like food and I like it my way if I can have it. My sister is the chef in the family.

Now I had a great idea for a meal, or so I thought. I mentioned it to her though and she reacted as though I'd told her to eat another human or something. I pushed the idea further and everyone seems to think it's stupid but I can't shake the feeling that I'm onto something here.

Spaghetti bolognese but with BBQ sauce and not a normal tomato sauce? I like BBQ...I don't like chunks of tomato. Would it work?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

I'm no cook. I like food and I like it my way if I can have it. My sister is the chef in the family.

Now I had a great idea for a meal, or so I thought. I mentioned it to her though and she reacted as though I'd told her to eat another human or something. I pushed the idea further and everyone seems to think it's stupid but I can't shake the feeling that I'm onto something here.

Spaghetti bolognese but with BBQ sauce and not a normal tomato sauce? I like BBQ...I don't like chunks of tomato. Would it work?

If it just the chunks you don't like, I would use a passata sauce.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,181 ✭✭✭dee_mc

To me, it sounds horrible! But if you like the sound of it why not try it out? I'm sure some of the stuff I cook would be declared horrible by many too, it's all personal taste at the end of the day - make a small batch and if it isn't great, it's no big loss :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

It sounds very sweet to me. I wouldn't like it, personally, but you should try it and see!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

I love BBQ sauce... BUT... it can be overpowering. I can dip pizza crust into BBQ sauce, but I had a pizza with BBQ sauce as the base (instead of tomato) and it was sickly sweet... But you could try making a tomato sauce for bolognese using passata, sweet paprika and smoked paprika?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Would it work?

There's only one way to find out. :)

Seriously, though, it also depends on what you classify is a BBQ sauce. If you are squeezing straight from a bottle onto pasta, it will end in tears. I would imagine it would be too sweet and overpowering.

You could try the passata as others have suggested, or, make up a tomato sauce and blend it until it is smooth. Tesco do a can of tomatoes with herbs already added (sacrilege on this forum, I know) you could try blending that, heat it up and pour it over the pasta/meat.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Passata plus some smoked Paprika might work better than straight up BBQ sauce from a bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

It sounds a bit weird to me and maybe a bit sharp-tasting: but hey, why not try it? There's no discovery without experiment. Have a bash!

PS - idea! Some small whole mushrooms in it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Old flatmates used to make a sauce for spaghetti by heating a large, cheap bottle of ketchup in a pot and chopping frankfurters in it. That amount of sweet, vinegary bottled sauce is very overwhelming smelling when it's hot!

BBQ Spaghetti exists on the Food Network though, although potentially as an advertorial for a type of BBQ sauce.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/patrick-and-gina-neely/barbecue-spaghetti-recipe.html

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Passata plus some smoked Paprika might work better than straight up BBQ sauce from a bottle.

I think this is definitely the best option, because barbecue sauce would be awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Food is whatever you like imo, go for it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

If you want spag bol with a bbq taste, why not make a sauce from passata, smoked paprika as suggested, and also add a couple of teaspoons of sugar, some Worcestershire sauce and a good splash of vinegar.

That should give you the smoky tangy taste you are looking for.

BBQ sauce in a bottle is a condiment and therefore best served in small portions - it wasn't designed to be eaten by the pint.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

P.S. You could always squeeze a bit of BBQ sauce into the above recipe too.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Note: OP is permanently sitebanned. Probably not reading this anymore.

tHB

Advertisement