Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Car brand pronunciation

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

franer1970 wrote: »
    Even Clarkson gets Nissan "wrong" - he always says "Nissen", as in Nissen Hut.
    Can't we just go back to Datsun?

You'd be fecked if you go to the US. NEE-SAWN.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

coylemj wrote: »
    who decides the 'correct' way to pronounce a foreign word when speaking it in an English conversation?

Nobody - since there is no such thing as "correct" pronunciation.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Cen taurus

Most people can't pronounce Lidl either, so much so, there's no point in trying to anymore.
    Car makes are like that as well.
    I remember years ago people did say pershow and reno, and you still here older people say it now and then, but it has morphed to pew-joe and ren-alt, and there's little point in saying it any other way in Ireland now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

ShaunieVW wrote: »
    A friend had a fiat tipo sedicivalvole, was pretty rare but he being of itialian descent loved it, he wasn't impressed when I suggested they just put a 16v badge on instead of writing that the full with of the boot!

Wicked fast hot hatch for the time. If I had storage I'd have one in there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,510 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

*Kol* wrote: »
    Thanks. I think I will leave him off, as he is a customer of mine I would rather not insult him by correcting him over a pronunciation of his own language.

He knows. It didn't occur to you that is how he has learned to pronounce over here for our benefit? Ask him to put it in a sentence in Korean and you'll hear the real thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

He knows. It didn't occur to you that is how he has learned to pronounce over here for our benefit? Ask him to put it in a sentence in Korean and you'll hear the real thing.

As he lives in Korea that's unlikely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    On Top Gear recently Jeremy Clarkson referred to a car called a "Dayssia". He was arguing about the Dacia brand with James May at the time.

A few years ago I heard someone in England say they thought there was a van called a Toyota "Hee-atchee".

Then there's all those Irish radio and TV ads for a car brand known as "High-un-dye", made in Korea.

We also have Pew-joes and Aw-deez.

Another other interesting pronunciations out there?
    Clarkson calls a car a caw, caw is the sound a crow makes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

I think Jeremy will be calling the job centa next...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,532 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

There is a precedent for that exact scenario to happen ....

In the 1960s a BBC DJ called Simon Dee was a superstar who had his own radio and TV shows, he got to interview all the big stars and he lead a superstar lifestyle with flashy cars and gorgeous girls.

He demanded more money (this is where the stories temporarily diverge) from the BBC who refused so he upped sticks and went to ITV, the new show didn't work and he was fired.

Next stop - the Job Centre, literally. He sheepishly went up to the counter, gave his real name (not Simon Dee) and said he wanted to sign on (for the dole) whereupon the clerk looked at him and uttered the immortal line: 'You're Simon Dee - how have the mighty fallen!'

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/news/simon-dee-the-star-of-the-60s-who-fell-to-earth-dies-aged-74-1779638.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Pov06

The sad part is he is still a lot richer than any of us will ever be... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

Pov06 wrote: »
    The sad part is he is still a lot richer than any of us will ever be... :D
    What's sad about that?

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭ShaunieVW

Listened to a Dacia advert on the radio last night, they pronounced it like "Day See A" so conflicts with the apparent correct pronunciation? Also something I picked up from the advert the prices are going up and up for those buckets of sh*te!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

ShaunieVW wrote: »
    Listened to a Dacia advert on the radio last night, they pronounced it like "Day See A" so conflicts with the apparent correct pronunciation? Also something I picked up from the advert the prices are going up and up for those buckets of sh*te!

The same reason why the Peugeot ads say "Pew-jot", most people wouldn't understand.

Frankly, the idea that things should be called with the "English pronunciation" in Ireland is quite ridiculous. You'll never hear somebody in Spain, France or Italy offering a "Gooey-nes" to a friend, or a shot of "jamez-ssonz". A little bit of effort could at least be attempted :)

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    Frankly, the idea that things should be called with the "English pronunciation" in Ireland is quite ridiculous.

So you've never referred to Paris with an S on the end, or Roma without an A, or Munich, Lisbon, Moscow or the host of other places which have acquired names in English by mangling the locals pronunciation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

So you've never referred to Paris with an S on the end, or Roma without an A, or Munich, Lisbon, Moscow or the host of other places which have acquired names in English by mangling the locals pronunciation?

I did, but it's a different case. Cities do have translated names - I may not agree with it, but they are translated in each language.

You don't, and can't, translate company names (or people's names, Paul doesn't immediately become "Paolo" in Italy). Again, there are Irish products sold elsewhere and while their names might not be pronounced 100% accurate, people make an effort - with varying degrees of success, of course!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

You don't, and can't, translate company names (or people's names, Paul doesn't immediately become "Paolo" in Italy).

In the 40's to 60's American movies, most of names (people's and cities') were clumsily translated into the closest Italian version.
    This was a sad consequence of the pre-WWII times when our government banned the use of all foreign words to defend our language,
    So Paul would become Paolo, Peter was Pietro, New York was Nuova York, and so on. And when a name couldn't be translated it was pronounced in very ridicolous way, for instance San Francisco was pronounced "san frantchisco".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ION08

Not a car brand but "Recaro" seats are definitely not "Ricardo"

... Particularly when you are advertising a Felt spec Golf with Highline seats and not actual Recaro's :rolleyes:

I did, but it's a different case. Cities do have translated names - I may not agree with it, but they are translated in each language.

In the same way, you may not agree with Pyoo-Joe, but nobody cares.

It's a word - people will pronounce it the way they pronounce it, and as long as we understand each other, the language has done its job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Gwynston

In the same way, you may not agree with Pyoo-Joe, but nobody cares.

The thing that bugs me about "Pyoo-Joe" is that if you're going to Anglicize 'Peugeot ', even that's incorrect... :mad:

Since when in English should the letters 'eu' be pronounced 'yoo' :confused:
    It's like someone misread it as if the letters were the other way round like they are in the word 'flue'.

It bugged me 30-odd years ago in the UK when my dad got our first Peugeot, but over the years people in the UK learned to pronounce it right.

The current Peugeot radio ads here sound ridiculous as the voiceover calls it a Pyoo-Joe, then the sexy French lady chimes in on the jingle at the end with the correct pronunciation in "Peugeot - affordable quality".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Gwynston wrote: »
    Since when in English should the letters 'eu' be pronounced 'yoo' :confused:

Since we became part of "Europe"? :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement