Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where do you buy?

• 24-03-2015 10:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭

A thread on the games forum got me thinking about us PC gamers.

Does anyone still use gamestop? Or is it all digital download?

I have been using Steam since HL2 in 2004. The odd time I buy from direct2drive and Gamefly.

For the oldie specials I use Gog.

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Steam, GOG, Humble, Greenman Gaming and on occasion, Kinguin.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Wherever has the best deals tbh. Rarely buy straight from Steam, as they are always the most expensive (bar sales of course). Lately, Kinguin/G2Play and G2A have been the two i go to most.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Kiith wrote: »
    Wherever has the best deals tbh. Rarely buy straight from Steam, as they are always the most expensive (bar sales of course). Lately, Kinguin/G2Play and G2A have been the two i go to most.

Same as that.

Buy a lot of Humble Bundles and the like too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

Outside of Steam sales, I go to Nuuvem, GMG, G2A etc. Whoever has the best deals, really. Used to trade TF2 keys for new releases over on SteamTrades.com, but that's being stamped down on too. Haven't bought from a bricks and mortar in about 8 years (not that there are many places to do that anymore).

OSI wrote: »
    I've had 3 games now pulled from my Steam Library after buying through one of Kinguins sellers. I won't be risking losing my entire account by doing so again.

Do you get notified of games getting pulled? Just curious as i'd probably not notice it for a lot of games, unless i was currently playing it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭LudoFrancis

A thread on the games forum got me thinking about us PC gamers.

Does anyone still use gamestop? Or is it all digital download?

I have been using Steam since HL2 in 2004. The odd time I buy from direct2drive and Gamefly.

For the oldie specials I use Gog.

I only use Steam, and sometimes the Humble Bundle's or Indie Gala's. With all the cheap games, I've probably racked up almost 200 games in two years!

I only ever played about 10% of them though..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

Steam, Gamersgate and Green Man Gaming. I used to buy physical copies mostly from Game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,604 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Yes, you get a lovely little pop up saying the game was removed and why, and a little statement saying continued similar activity will result in your account being blocked. All 3 times the reason has been "Non payment" and been several months after I bought the game, which I'm guessing means the keys were bought with stolen cards.

what were the games can you remember?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Hercule

My understanding is that Steam only take games off you if you use companies that deliver games in the form of steam gifts (or if the keys are stolen, which is a rarer occurrence) - I recommend going to allkeyshop and doing your price check, then settling for the first (lowest priced) key which doesn't need VPN, steam gifts or a geo locked key - If you are doing it right the vast majority of keys you receive will be pictures taken of retail box keys and are totally legitimate, the equivalent of flying to a country with better prices and buying it at a physical game store there.

I've saved 100s of euros this way, I'd only start feeling guilty about it if I wasn't aware of the price gouging Ireland seems to get when unscrupulous companies do $ -> € conversions - theres a lot of rounding off to the next nearest 10 going on! Also, if you are buying an EA game you should always buy it from the Origin store with the weakest currency - Origin México es el mejor!

The reason I avoid the cheapest keyshops is because I ended up owning CIS / Russian copy of Black Ops2 that I had to muck about with to get into English - won't be making that mistake again - it regularly jumps back to russian only. - €4-€5 more and I could have saved myself a lot of hassle and uncertainty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Yes, you get a lovely little pop up saying the game was removed and why, and a little statement saying continued similar activity will result in your account being blocked. All 3 times the reason has been "Non payment" and been several months after I bought the game, which I'm guessing means the keys were bought with stolen cards.

Do/did you pick the cheapest option or go with the ones with the highest good feedback? I'm also curious did you get your money back from Kinguin?

EDIT: I've just started using Kinguin... I'm a bit of a torrenter normally but for a reasonable price like I get there I'll buy the game and activate via steam. Would hate to have the games pulled.

• Advertisement

I've used them loads of times (well, G2Play but they are one and the same) and i've never had a game pulled yet. I know it has happened, but the vast majority of games that get pulled are keys that require a VPN to be activated. As Valve have implemented stricter regional restrictions now, this shouldn't happen as much.

At least that's what seems to be the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Steam, gog, humble and origin if it can't be bought elsewhere. I've started trying to stick to digital games for consoles as well.

I tend to only buy games on sale. Last time I got a physical PC game was skyrim as a gift because they tend to be cheaper on Amazon than the likes of steam outside of sales.

Hercule wrote: »
    The reason I avoid the cheapest keyshops is because I ended up owning CIS / Russian copy of Black Ops2 that I had to muck about with to get into English - won't be making that mistake again - it regularly jumps back to russian only. - €4-€5 more and I could have saved myself a lot of hassle and uncertainty.

yeah I avoid the Russian sites like the plague and only use the European ones and never have any problems

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

I'll use anywhere except Origin, UPlay, Kinguin and G2Play.

Normally just pick the cheapest store

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Steam, Gamersgate, GMG, Humble Bundle. Last physical game I bought was Skyrim

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

The only physical copies of game I buy these days are CE.

Like some people here I bought the Skyrim CE. Still have the statue in my man cave.

Often buy CE editions of game series I like. Such as Fallout, Homeworld, swtor,etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

The last couple of games I'v picked up have all been digital downloads from either Steam or the official website for the game. I'v never trusted those serial keys sites and never will after what happened with AC Unity/Farcry 4.

Saying that, I will never ever pre-order from anywhere and collectors editions to me, are just a waste of money.

I bought a game directly from Steam last night...and it wasn't on sale! :eek:

I bought a game directly from Steam last night...and it wasn't on sale! :eek:

Why?

It was a few euro more expensive than G2Play and the like, but the same as GOG and directly from the supplier (Pillars of Eternity). While it's very unlikely to happen, i didn't fancy having this key removed at any stage. I'm hoping it's going to be a Baldurs Gate 2 level of brilliance, and i'll be replaying it for years to come.

Plus, it's just so easy on Steam. 3 clicks, game bought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,383 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Steam, GMG, GOG, Amazon, Humble Bundle + similar bundle sites. Bought 1 or 2 from Kinguin, but unless it's really low I wouldn't since by the time get to checkout VAT has ben added and it's (relatively) much higher that the price that lured you in.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭callumsdad

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Steam, GMG, GOG, Amazon, Humble Bundle + similar bundle sites. Bought 1 or 2 from Kinguin, but unless it's really low I wouldn't since by the time get to checkout VAT has ben added and it's (relatively) much higher that the price that lured you in.
    *snip*

Mod edit - no mentioning methods of bypassing regional restrictions please.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Usually Steam or G2Play.

The only reason I buy games in retail stores these days is if there is an extra like a map or other merchandise. That practice seems to be dying out though. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

I sometimes wander into a games store almost like a reflex. I stare at the boxes and then remember that I don't have an optical drive so I leave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

It was a few euro more expensive than G2Play and the like, but the same as GOG and directly from the supplier (Pillars of Eternity). While it's very unlikely to happen, i didn't fancy having this key removed at any stage. I'm hoping it's going to be a Baldurs Gate 2 level of brilliance, and i'll be replaying it for years to come.

Plus, it's just so easy on Steam. 3 clicks, game bought.

i did the exact same thing with PoE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

All digital for me from now on, cant stand having these discs and game cases around. Got rid of too much of that CE tat that built up over the years too that I dont think there's anything that could get me to buy physical

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

My main PC titles at present are WoW, Diablo 3 and Battlefield.

All of them bought digitally. The last game I bought in a shop for the PC was Wrath of the Lich King for WoW which was in 2008. Been pretty much exclusively digital since then.

While my Pc collection is large, I mostly play the same games throughout the years, every now and again something might come into the mix. But Steam is typically my main place to shop, on rare occasions have used some of the other suppliers.

I've moved my console purchases exclusively over to Amazon as well, as they have the best prices on new titles and significantly reduce prices on games over the course of a few months after release. I plan to pickup Alien Isolation for the PS4, which they currently retail for €25 (was €20 few days ago) Friend was only telling me he forked out €60 for it in Gamestop last month.

Apart from the PS4, which I wanted to buy locally to have a warranty on, havn't bought a thing in going on 7 years.

Also buying that PS4, staff in Gamestop were advising customers how the warranty was with Sony, and they don't deal with any issues and customers should contact Sony directly. Made it my business to be a sour **** about it explaining how that was false information and relaying some statutory legislation that for some reason a high street store seems comfortable completely ignoring. That altercation further compounded my distaste for the organisation and actually wanted to walk out with my money and order through amazon, but it staring me in the face made me cave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

More or less exclusively Steam. Origin, sometimes, if there's an EA game I want to play. I've bought one or two from G2A, but with the new VAT thing it's scarcely much cheaper than Steam so... I usually just buy from Steam.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,932 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

G2play

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,415 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

humble
    steam
    kinguin
    gog
    greenmangaming

Advertisement