Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

aeropresses, grinders, which coffee?

• 24-03-2015 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭

Hi all

Ok so after a bit of research, and not having used my nespresso machine in well over 2 months or something ridiculous like that, and knowing full well I like fresh coffee, I'm ready to take the plunge, and know I need to buy fresh beans, and a grinder.
    My question is though, what do I do with the beans after they're ground? Do I buy a coffee pot, or is this what a aeropress/French press is? If not an aeropress then what, do I need a machine as well to make my coffee after it's ground?
    I would love to go on one of the berista style courses, but as I can't see, I would hate to go and monopolise the person who's teaching's time with can I feel this etc as I imagine I would have a lot of questions.
    Any recommendations here would be fab, as I know you all know your coffee here, it's so great to finally find a community of people who are as nuts about coffee as I am :)
    Also, would people recommend 3FE or the berista school or something to maybe go in and have a good ole chat/feel of things and ask all my questions?
    Thanks so much in advance
    :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

Have you ever tried coffee from an aeropress?
    Do you know if you prefer espresso or filter coffee?

It's certainly a lot cheaper to try the aeropress than getting an espresso machine.

I started into this when I was given a present of an aeropress. I now have 2 grinders, a chemex, a stovetop pot, and a Rancilio Silvia (espresso machine) along with tampers, jugs thermometers, knockout boxes, and new cups for my coffee.

I still love the aeropress though, and if you get one + a hario skerton grinder + a bag of recently roasted beans you'll be making fresh coffee pretty quick

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭afterglow

Zagato wrote: »
    Have you ever tried coffee from an aeropress?
    Do you know if you prefer espresso or filter coffee?

It's certainly a lot cheaper to try the aeropress than getting an espresso machine.

I started into this when I was given a present of an aeropress. I now have 2 grinders, a chemex, a stovetop pot, and a Rancilio Silvia (espresso machine) along with tampers, jugs thermometers, knockout boxes, and new cups for my coffee.

I still love the aeropress though, and if you get one + a hario skerton grinder + a bag of recently roasted beans you'll be making fresh coffee pretty quick

Hi
    Thanks for your reply. I know I like for example, you know like if you go to bewleys and get a black or white coffee, for example?
    I like espresso as well, but want to be able to make enough coffee to sit and relax over a few cups kind of thing. I have never actually tried coffee from an aeropress no, are they the things with the plungers, they feel/look like jugs? Are they the same, and do they hold the same amount as pots, do they do the same job, with the edition of the plunger?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭ray o

Zagato wrote: »

I'm a big fan of the aeropress and use it every day. I also bought a Hario Skerton grinder but have since sold it as I couldn't be arsed with the effort. My advice to the OP and anyone else that just wants a grinder for the likes of an aeropress would be to get a Krupps GVX2. For 56 quid its a great introduction to grinding your own beans and I find it perfect for filter. I am using mine 5 years now.

http://www.debenhams.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/prod_10052_10001_325004004760_-1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭Melodeon

afterglow wrote: »
    Hi
    Thanks for your reply. I know I like for example, you know like if you go to bewleys and get a black or white coffee, for example?
    I like espresso as well, but want to be able to make enough coffee to sit and relax over a few cups kind of thing. I have never actually tried coffee from an aeropress no, are they the things with the plungers, they feel/look like jugs? Are they the same, and do they hold the same amount as pots, do they do the same job, with the edition of the plunger?
    The thing with the plunger that looks like a jug is a 'french press' or 'cafetière'. This sort of thing:
    Available in every supermarket and home appliance shop for cheap, mostly crap quality.

This is a good one:
    http://espro.ca/espro-press/
    NOT cheap, but a very good piece of kit.

The AreoPress is a 'system' unique unto itself.
    It's a superb way of making a really good cup of coffee, but it's NOT an espresso maker.
    Search YouTube for approximately 1 million ways of using one.

I adore mine and use it several times every day, using Has Bean beans ground with a Porlex ceramic hand grinder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 101 ✭✭Digiby

The Aeropress with a Porlex grinder and some good beans is a great way to start out.
    I've been using mine for over 5 years now on a daily basis and it makes a great, clean cup of coffee. The fact it's lasted so long also shows it's very durable.

I've been using the Porlex grinder for just over 4 years now too although my arm is starting to tire from the grinding routine at this stage so I may finally upgrade to an electric grinder this year.

I have a second Aeropress and Hario grinder at home but IMO, the Porlex is a much better hand grinder and I find it requires less effort than the Hario. It's a little harder to hold and its plastic is not as durable as the Porlex, which is made from steel

3FE and Has bean are two sites that'll sell the Porlex but you might be able to source one cheaper somewhere else. When I got mine in 2011 from Has Bean it was selling for £30 then. It's £42 now and €60 on 3fe

Argos has started listing the Aeropress on their site now too for €22.99

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭Melodeon

Digiby wrote: »
    I've been using the Porlex grinder for just over 4 years now too although my arm is starting to tire from the grinding routine at this stage so I may finally upgrade to an electric grinder this year.
    I mostly run mine with one of these:
    343110.jpg
    :D:D:D

Your own domestic situation will dictate whether having a cordless drill on the worktop as part of the coffee kit is deemed acceptable or not!

Advertisement