Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electricity in rental house

Options
  • 24-03-2015 10:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭

Hello i will be renting a house and just wanted to know if esb will charge me a deposit on being new tenant in house
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I believe they usually ask for either E300 deposit, or to be paid by direct debit. Personally I took the direct debit option.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

That's news to me, Mrs O'B.
    Normally, if you move into a rental property, you'll be taking over the ESB account from the Landlord so it's just a simple switch of names.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

fussyonion wrote: »
    That's news to me, Mrs O'B.
    Normally, if you move into a rental property, you'll be taking over the ESB account from the Landlord so it's just a simple switch of names.

Yup, usually swiftly followed by a request for a direct debit or a €300 deposit unless you already have an established record with ESB.

Edit: or am I thinking of Bord Gais?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Graham wrote: »
    Yup, usually swiftly followed by a request for a direct debit or a €300 deposit unless you already have an established record with ESB.

We had to pay a deposit. But didn't take out the DD option, and just have a payment card instead. I pay every week in the Post Office.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Ah right. Maybe I wasn't asked for a deposit as I was moving from one rental property where the ESB was in my name, to a new property with an established ESB account. So it was just a switch of names in my case then.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

We had to pay a deposit. But didn't take out the DD option, and just have a payment card instead. I pay every week in the Post Office.

If I remember correctly it's usually on or the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭goldenhoarde

Ah right. Maybe I wasn't asked for a deposit as I was moving from one rental property where the ESB was in my name, to a new property with an established ESB account. So it was just a switch of names in my case then.

Just be sure to read the meter on the moving in day and get it changed to your name when you submit the reading,

A pic of the meter would be a good idea so in the case of dispute you can prove the reading at a later date.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Note that while you can only get an electrical connection from ESB Networks, there are several companies you can buy your electricity from, so shop around.

Yes, if you are an established customer with a good paying history, they are usually much more flexible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭EI: Una

Hi all,

It is correct that new customers of Electric Ireland are required to pay a €300 security deposit (refundable after 14 months) or pay by direct debit (which eliminates the security deposit) for 14 months. Direct debit is required also for customers to be able to avail of our price-plan discounts for electricity/gas.

In the case of customers who are already with Electric Ireland and close their account to change address, reopening their account at their new address: once they are gone past the 14-months requirement, they are not new customers so would not incur the security deposit.

Here is the page on our website in relation to moving into a new address and putting an account in your name.

Do let us know if you require any further information.

Regards,
    Una

Hi all,

It is correct that new customers of Electric Ireland are required to pay a €300 security deposit (refundable after 14 months) or pay by direct debit (which eliminates the security deposit) for 14 months. Direct debit is required also for customers to be able to avail of our price-plan discounts for electricity/gas.

In the case of customers who are already with Electric Ireland and close their account to change address, reopening their account at their new address: once they are gone past the 14-months requirement, they are not new customers so would not incur the security deposit.

Here is the page on our website in relation to moving into a new address and putting an account in your name.

Do let us know if you require any further information.

Regards,
    Una

Sorry, but the bolded part is not true. I went back to EI last year after getting a house call from a rep. Now he did try to insist we took the Direct Debit option, but I personally don't use them and don't trust them. Either I pay by SO or I get a payment card and pay weekly in cash.

I told EI that we would continue to pay by payment card and they were happy with that. We still got the dual fuel and online billing discounts.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Sorry, but the bolded part is not true. I went back to EI last year after getting a house call from a rep. Now he did try to insist we took the Direct Debit option, but I personally don't use them and don't trust them. Either I pay by SO or I get a payment card and pay weekly in cash.

I told EI that we would continue to pay by payment card and they were happy with that. We still got the dual fuel and online billing discounts.

but not dd discount

but not dd discount

What are you talking about?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

What are you talking about?

The full discount is available when on direct debit IIRC.

kceire wrote: »
    The full discount is available when on direct debit IIRC.

No. I got the full discount (8%) for the duel fuel and online billing and didn't take the DD. I pay by payment card, weekly. But that might be because I was a previous customer. I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

O think there's an extra 1.5 percent discount for dd also, nowhere near worth it in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    O think there's an extra 1.5 percent discount for dd also, nowhere near worth it in my opinion.
    My discount for direct debit is 10% on electricity and 10% on gas. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

Ive seen literally hundreds of peoples bills from Electric Ireland who are in receipt of both the direct debit and online billing discount and they were paying using the barcode at the bottom at the Post Office. They never gave direct debit details and they were getting paper bills.

Ive worked in the utilities industry for 15 years.

Advertisement