Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Radiographer

Options
  • 24-03-2015 11:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭

Hi

I am considering doing a three year course in radiography in the UK, but part of me is worried that the course is very much science based? I work in finance and am doing a Fetac Level 5 evening course in Anatomy and Physiology. I didn't do any science subjects in secondary school, but would like to take a physics course next september to see if I have the aptitude for it. Ideally, I would do a course that is recognized by the universities if I were to go ahead an apply for it. Essentially I want to know how realistic it is to pursue this course without having any science background. It would also be great to hear from anyone who has already studied the course in the Uk or Ireland.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Ann-Marie wrote: »
    Hi

I am considering doing a three year course in radiography in the UK, but part of me is worried that the course is very much science based? I work in finance and am doing a Fetac Level 5 evening course in Anatomy and Physiology. I didn't do any science subjects in secondary school, but would like to take a physics course next september to see if I have the aptitude for it. Ideally, I would do a course that is recognized by the universities if I were to go ahead an apply for it. Essentially I want to know how realistic it is to pursue this course without having any science background. It would also be great to hear from anyone who has already studied the course in the Uk or Ireland.
    Thanks

Go to the college's website and find out what modules they give in first year.
    After the first year of a course people are generally at the same level if they put work into the course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Ann-Marie

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    Go to the college's website and find out what modules they give in first year.
    After the first year of a course people are generally at the same level if they put work into the course.

Hi Eoghan

Thank you very much for your reply. I have visited the universities' website and, from what I gather, physics seems to be the core science subject. Basically, I'd like to see if there are many people out there who have done the course without having a particularly strong background in science.

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Pookla

While it is totally possible to do well in the field without a science background, it's not really without a science aptitude.

I think you should go ahead and do the physics course and if you feel that you get on well with it, then strongly consider going ahead with radiography.

I only know two or three radiographers personally and they all had very good science backgrounds before they got in so it's difficult to advise you but they did say that everything is taught from the ground up so you won't be at a complete loss provided you do the work.

Advertisement