Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rathcoole or knocklyon?

Options
  • 24-03-2015 11:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hey folks I was just wondering if yous could help my husband and I decide where to relocate.we narrowed it down to a brand new 4 bed semi detached house in broadfield rathcoole or a smaller 3 bed in woodstown knocklyon.my husband thinks rathcoole is better value with a nice country feel to it. I'm more heading towards woodstown as I heard its a lovely area any advice on the areas schools and that would b appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Prefect_1998

dont move to rathcoole if you plan on having kids....

• Registered Users Posts: 6 anaeliza

Thanks for the quick reply
    Why say that have you heard
    Bad things about the schools
    In rathcoole I have two children
    So that's a huge factor in our move

• Registered Users Posts: 2,377 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Knocklyon - without question.

You have the benefit of been relatively closer to the city, with it comes all the benefits of having the amenities that come with it, also Woodstown is very close to the Dublin mountains, which should give you the country feel. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Where do you guys work? Do you have friends and/or family in a particular area? Do you drive?

Can't really give an answer based on the info you've given so far.

Another vote for Knocklyon....

you might get more house for your money in Rathcoole, but its
    location, location, location...

When your kids are teens they will way prefer living in Knocklyon
    than Rathcoole, which is just too far away from Dublin.

I know Dublin is not the centre of the universe for everyone, but as previous
    poster mentioned, there are way more amenities close to the city.

• Advertisement

athtrasna wrote: »
    Where do you guys work? Do you have friends and/or family in a particular area? Do you drive?

Can't really give an answer based on the info you've given so far.

I'm living in tallaght with family and friends around us
    I work in city center and husband in clondalkin
    We both drive
    I think woodstown is a nicer area with good schools
    But my husband thinks rathcoole is better value and also
    A nice area
    I don't know much about rathcoole or the schools

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kalimah

I live in Knocklyon beside Woodstown and actually know someone living in Broadfield Rathcoole! Knocklyon has exceptional schools. Transport is excellent. Shops are good too. Rathcoole is too far out of the city. Particularly for teenagers meeting up with friends; not to mention college.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Another vote for Woodstown.

I know a girl who moved to Rathcoole, from Dublin, because she wanted the big five-bed house and now she seriously regrets it.
    She has to travel to Dublin twice a day for work, also visit her family and friends who are still in the city, and has to rely on lifts/taxis for nights out.

These may seem minor things, but if you think your life will be mostly based in Dublin or Dublin's where you'll spend a lot of time/commute to...it may not be wise to move to Rathcoole.

Like your hubby says, you will get more house for your money, but it's all about location.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 gar23

I too was thinking of rathcoole but decided against it because I heard the school has a bad reputation and the area has gone downhill

Thanks folks
    I didn't realise the area and schools In rathcoole
    Had a bad reputation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Woodstown, Knocklyon? I'd call anything that side of the M50 Tallaght.

Ush1 wrote: »
    Woodstown, Knocklyon? I'd call anything that side of the M50 Tallaght.

And you'd be wrong, of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭duffman13

Rathcoole was a lovely area about 10 years ago, a lot of random developments and the place list it's charm. I would disagree about the school though, unless it's changed dramatically in the last 5 years it always had a great reputation. Still having never been in Woodstown I'd probably jump at that over broadfield in particular.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

Knocklyon or Rathcoole - Knocklyon without question.

If youre raising a family Knocklyon offers much more in the way of amenities.

fussyonion wrote: »
    And you'd be wrong, of course.

Maybe. Google maps seem to list it as Ballycullen.

https://www.google.ie/maps/place/Ballycullen,+Dublin/@53.272966,-6.325723,15z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x48670b1b3de6d751:0x2600c7a819bdd032

Which is recognised as Dublin 24.

http://www.myhome.ie/residential/dublin-24/property-for-sale-in-ballycullen

But I could be wrong, of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

Is Woodstown really Knocklyon? Map shows it as being in Ballycullen.

I think Knocklyon is nice but it's very expensive for that it is. The area has small 1000 sq ft houses looking for 380-390k and that doesn't represent great value in my book.

anaeliza wrote: »
    Thanks folks
    I didn't realise the area and schools In rathcoole
    Had a bad reputation

Do your own research. We're just a bunch of randomers on the internet.

For instance, I could tell you that half of all axe murderers in the country will come from Beverly and you'd obviously scoff at such a silly claim.

So why would you listen to another randomer proclaim that the schools in an area are no good?

gaius c wrote: »
    Do your own research. We're just a bunch of randomers on the internet.

For instance, I could tell you that half of all axe murderers in the country will come from Beverly and you'd obviously scoff at such a silly claim.

So why would you listen to another randomer proclaim that the schools in an area are no good?

In a way you're right; people who are hoping to move to a new area should really go and investigate it for themselves.

They should drive around during the day and night, maybe chat to the neighbours, get a feel for the place, but it can be helpful to ask people here too as residents of those areas can give their opinions, as can people familiar with said areas.

Yeah, thinking about it actually, I don't think I would class Woodstown as Knocklyon either.
    Coming back to the Tallaght debate, Firhouse is classed as Dublin 24 but isn't classed as Tallaght.
    Tallaght is anywhere north of Old Bawn, for example: Tallaght Village, Jobstown, Fettercarin.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Is Woodstown really Knocklyon? Map shows it as being in Ballycullen.

I think Knocklyon is nice but it's very expensive for that it is. The area has small 1000 sq ft houses looking for 380-390k and that doesn't represent great value in my book.
    This exact same conversation/argument was had on another thread a few weeks ago :D. Anything east of the Ballycullen Road is Dublin 16, anything west of it is Dublin 24. Woodstown while in the traditional townland of Ballycullen, has a postal address of Knocklyon and is considered locally to be part of Knocklyon. It's in the catchment area for the Knocklyon schools.
    The traditional townland for Ballycullen is actually almost exclusively in Dublin 16 (east of the Ballycullen rd), but over time that's changed through popular usage such that it's the area west of the Ballycullen road that now uses Ballycullen in the postal address.

Agreed that Knocklyon is quite expensive, but that's primarily because it has highly regarded schools and good transport links. On a good day you're a 25 minute bus trip from Woodstown to the city centre. When I say good day, I mean 10am on a quiet Sunday.

For quality of life reasons there would be no contest between Knocklyon and Rathcoole for me. Having to drive everywhere to see people, having to drive the kids everywhere. Nah, Knocklyon is the way to go.

• Advertisement

Yeah, thinking about it actually, I don't think I would class Woodstown as Knocklyon either.
    Coming back to the Tallaght debate, Firhouse is classed as Dublin 24 but isn't classed as Tallaght.
    Tallaght is anywhere north of Old Bawn, for example: Tallaght Village, Jobstown, Fettercarin.

I don't want to drag this thread off topic but I've never heard that definition of Tallaght, and I would say it's completely wrong. Even by that strange definition, look at a map, Kiltalown(Jobstown) is south of Old Bawn.

FWIW, my brother was the postman there and has said it's basically Tallaght or could be called Ballycullen.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭ceekay74

If it was me choosing, it would be Knocklyon, no question.

Sounds like your husband is focused on value, and he's probably right that it is better value, but Knocklyon just has more going for it.

I don't want to drag this thread off topic but I've never heard that definition of Tallaght, and I would say it's completely wrong. Even by that strange definition, look at a map, Kiltalown(Jobstown) is south of Old Bawn.

FWIW, my brother was the postman there and has said it's basically Tallaght or could be called Ballycullen.

Thats because you are basing your understanding off postal districts.

So is your brother.

Postal districts mean very little except to An Post. For example, parts of Rathfarnham are in D14 and parts are in D16 - but its all still Rathfarnham.

MrWalsh wrote: »
    Thats because you are basing your understanding off postal districts.

So is your brother.

Postal districts mean very little except to An Post. For example, parts of Rathfarnham are in D14 and parts are in D16 - but its all still Rathfarnham.

Whereas your understanding is...

He may be but I'm not. I went to school near there and have many friends from there, none of which has ever referred to it as Knocklyon. Also, I think you'll find postal districts mean a lot to a lot of people, do you know why Dublin 6W exists?

seamus wrote: »
    This exact same conversation/argument was had on another thread a few weeks ago :D. Anything east of the Ballycullen Road is Dublin 16, anything west of it is Dublin 24. Woodstown while in the traditional townland of Ballycullen, has a postal address of Knocklyon and is considered locally to be part of Knocklyon. It's in the catchment area for the Knocklyon schools.
    The traditional townland for Ballycullen is actually almost exclusively in Dublin 16 (east of the Ballycullen rd), but over time that's changed through popular usage such that it's the area west of the Ballycullen road that now uses Ballycullen in the postal address.

Agreed that Knocklyon is quite expensive, but that's primarily because it has highly regarded schools and good transport links. On a good day you're a 25 minute bus trip from Woodstown to the city centre. When I say good day, I mean 10am on a quiet Sunday.

For quality of life reasons there would be no contest between Knocklyon and Rathcoole for me. Having to drive everywhere to see people, having to drive the kids everywhere. Nah, Knocklyon is the way to go.

Sure but nearly €400 per sq ft to live in Knocklyon "proper" is an awful lot of money. It's still an outer suburb of Dublin when all is said and done.

Whereas your understanding is...

The correct one ;)

MrWalsh wrote: »
    The correct one ;)

Brilliant, well I'm convinced.:)

Sure but nearly €400 per sq ft to live in Knocklyon "proper" is an awful lot of money. It's still an outer suburb of Dublin when all is said and done.
    Yeah, €4,200 per sq.m. is about the going price at the moment. Depends on the property. Woodstown is probably closer to €4k/sq.m., whereas properties around the Knocklyon road are that bit more.

Yep, I know it's pretty crazy, but prices are what they are. In pure snobbery terms, Knocklyon is where the young middle class professionals bought property in the 1970s and 80s, as they were priced out of the Dublin 6W market but D24 was too lower class for them.

As such, it's always had a middle-middle-class attitude and since those young professionals spawned more young professionals, it's the area of choice for those people to buy and raise their own families.

I guess much like Foxrock has very little going for it in location terms yet asks extortionate prices, location is as much about who lives in the area as where the area is.

Also, I think you'll find postal districts mean a lot to a lot of people, do you know why Dublin 6W exists?
    Here; http://correctaddress.anpost.ie/pages/Address.aspx?ref_id=M%2fEXEXLEpl7wqCTnVJ6Huw%3d%3d&lang=English

• Advertisement

In a way you're right; people who are hoping to move to a new area should really go and investigate it for themselves.

They should drive around during the day and night, maybe chat to the neighbours, get a feel for the place, but it can be helpful to ask people here too as residents of those areas can give their opinions, as can people familiar with said areas.

Sure but second, third or possibly fourth hand anecdotes like this:
    because I heard the school has a bad reputation
    Don't really add a lot of value to the discussion.

Advertisement