Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rathcoole or knocklyon?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭SmithySeller

Don't know much about Knocklyon so I wont comment.

Rathcoole;

Nice Pubs and Restaurants, some in Saggart also.

Good shops (Spar, Centra, Tesco Express, much larger at City West also)

Decent Public Transport (Luas at CW, Both Dublin Bus and Bus Eireann serving Rathcoole along with private Buses).

Very Good Schools (with the Primary Irish School having a particularly excellent reputation). I know people living in Kildare sending kids to Rathcoole schools.

Excellent Sports Facilities (GAA, both Commercials in Rathcoole and Mary's in Saggart, Clondalkin RFC located at City West, Numerous Equestrian Centres. Soccer Clubs, Astro Soccer, Golf Courses etc.). There is a huge Parkland that’s runs from Avoca right up behind the village.

The Village itself is very old and historic. Most of the estates were built in the 70’s and 80’s, with more recent Celtic Tiger editions. Drive or walk up behind the village (take a left at the Village Inn) and you have lovely countryside with ample Hills, Forestry and small Rivers, one side overlooks Dublin City and the other overlooks Wicklow. This area, primarily called Red Gap is a mixture of modest and impressive detached housing. In years gone by (not sure about now), many a celebrity lived in this part of Rathcoole. I could list them, but you might laugh :P

IMO it might offer the best of both Worlds, its 10miles from Dublin City Centre and faster than ever to commute in. People saying that it’s too far are having a right laugh :rolleyes:. But also surrounded by fantastic country side, excellent for Kids to grow up around.

Hope that helps :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,377 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Also OP, one thing people do not seem to consider when considering moving out to the commuter belt is the amount of time and money you will spend driving in and out of the city everyday.
    On the front of it, the house in Rathcoole may seem a who lot cheaper, but when you factor in the cost of commuting over the years, it may not look so cheap anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 anaeliza

Thanks for the advice
    we"ll drive around both areas to get a feel of them
    great to hear good feedback on the schools as that is a huge factor in our move

Sorry to resurrect a zombie thread but this really interests me.

It's 2 years on from the OP and the idea of buying a semi-d in Knocklyon for €380k are firmly out the window :)

But I find myself in a similar situation. I know Knocklyon and love it, but feel it's bad value for money. Plus, if you are working in the city centre, transport is a nightmare. You only have the 15 which goes through templeogue, terenure, rathgar and rathmines before getting to town. You're talking an hour to O'Connell st. But that said it is a lovely area, very nice and green (though lacking in pubs or village feel).

Rathcoole has that village feel, actually is a village street with nice pubs though the shops are not great. The estates are a little bland but the houses are well built (I know a couple of people out there) and as a previous poster has said there's lots of green space and amenities out there. 10 miles is not thar far either and for those working in the city centre, getting the Luas from CW is a pretty good option of getting to work. And you can get your 4 bed semi-d for €380k.

So I'm serious if the OP made their decision?

Anyone here live in Rathcoole? (I get the impression from the thread that a lot of responders were from Dublin and scared of the thought of living outside of Dublin, would think that 2 years later there's a lot more people living in Rathcoole and that it might be more popular with people from rural towns and villages)

And would anyone update what they said previously given that you would be spending €550 for a house in knocklyon that you'd get for €380 in Rathcoole?

Thanks for any thoughts or advice, sorry if I sound demanding but I'm at the stage where I'm trying to gather as much info as possible to make an informed decision. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Sorry to resurrect a zombie thread but this really interests me.

It's 2 years on from the OP and the idea of buying a semi-d in Knocklyon for €380k are firmly out the window :)

But I find myself in a similar situation. I know Knocklyon and love it, but feel it's bad value for money. Plus, if you are working in the city centre, transport is a nightmare. You only have the 15 which goes through templeogue, terenure, rathgar and rathmines before getting to town. You're talking an hour to O'Connell st. But that said it is a lovely area, very nice and green (though lacking in pubs or village feel).

Rathcoole has that village feel, actually is a village street with nice pubs though the shops are not great. The estates are a little bland but the houses are well built (I know a couple of people out there) and as a previous poster has said there's lots of green space and amenities out there. 10 miles is not thar far either and for those working in the city centre, getting the Luas from CW is a pretty good option of getting to work. And you can get your 4 bed semi-d for €380k.

So I'm serious if the OP made their decision?

Anyone here live in Rathcoole? (I get the impression from the thread that a lot of responders were from Dublin and scared of the thought of living outside of Dublin, would think that 2 years later there's a lot more people living in Rathcoole and that it might be more popular with people from rural towns and villages)

And would anyone update what they said previously given that you would be spending €550 for a house in knocklyon that you'd get for €380 in Rathcoole?

Thanks for any thoughts or advice, sorry if I sound demanding but I'm at the stage where I'm trying to gather as much info as possible to make an informed decision. :)

Woodstown isn't Knocklyon! :p

My cousin lives in Broadfield Manor in Rathcoole and likes it. Some decent pubs there. I wouldn't be mad on either area to be honest personally but I'd pay 380k for a new 4 bed in Rathcoole before 550k for a smaller 3 bed in Woodstown.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Danjamin1

I bought in Woodstown 2 years ago and couldn't be happier. It's a great community, the bus is on my doorstep in to town and it's perfect cycling distance to the city centre. There's no village centre to speak of which I guess would be my only gripe but in saying that there's plenty of amenities within walking distance.

With regard to the Knocklyon/Tallaght debate, well it's definitely not Tallaght. The areas of Glenlyon & Glenvara were within the Knocklyon area before the M50 was built, so I don't think the M50 is the de facto border line. It's more Ballycullen than anything else, but my postal address says Knocklyon, Dublin 16 so that's what I go with!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭kerplun k

Ush1 wrote: »
    Woodstown isn't Knocklyon! :p

My cousin lives in Broadfield Manor in Rathcoole and likes it. Some decent pubs there. I wouldn't be mad on either area to be honest personally but I'd pay 380k for a new 4 bed in Rathcoole before 550k for a smaller 3 bed in Woodstown.

I don't know why I get so worked up about this, but I do. :D

Everything east of Ballycullen Road is Knocklyon. This includes Glenvara Park, Woodstown, Dalriada, etc. The address on all these places is Knocklyon. Eircode has these houses as Knocklyon. If you post a letter to any of these addresses, you address them to Knocklyon... That big sign off exit 12 on the M50, right beside Woodstown, the one between knocklyon park and Knocklyon fc, says.... KNOCKLYON

I don't care if you consider these as knocklyon or not, but I'll tell you one reason why it is... because that's the name in the f**king address. That's what it's called. That's how it works.

In your head, Its probably not a nice area, you may not see these are being proper knocklyon, maybe because it's on the outside of the m50, maybe its too far away from supervalue, maybe it's because you think the sun shines out off knocklyons ar*e and these locations aren't worth of having the title of knocklyon, however, let me stress this one point to the OP. If you buy a house in Woodstown, your address will be KNOCKLYON.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,495 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

The distance between Ballycullen and Knocyloyon.

2.2 km) via Scholarstown Rd

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/26-ferncourt-avenue-ballycullen-dublin-24/4008528 ( 26 Ferncourt Avenue )(300k)

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/39-woodstown-heights-knocklyon-dublin-16/4059044 ( 39 Woodstown Heights )(420k)

They are both 3 bed semi and roughly comparable with each other.

If anyone is nuts enough to spend over a 100k more on a house 2.2km down the road just because it is D16 instead of D24 its hard to make sense of it.

That why all those articles about property being too expensive for young couples should be take with a pinch of salt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭rick_fantastic

mariaalice wrote: »
    The distance between Ballycullen and Knocyloyon.

2.2 km) via Scholarstown Rd

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/26-ferncourt-avenue-ballycullen-dublin-24/4008528 ( 26 Ferncourt Avenue )(300k)

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/39-woodstown-heights-knocklyon-dublin-16/4059044 ( 39 Woodstown Heights )(420k)

They are both 3 bed semi and roughly comparable with each other.

If anyone is nuts enough to spend over a 100k more on a house 2.2km down the road just because it is D16 instead of D24 its hard to make sense of it.

That why all those articles about property being too expensive for young couples should be take with a pinch of salt.

Those houses are not even close to being comparable... The one in Woodstown is finished to a really high standard. Kitchens are worlds apart.

You would need to put I'd estimate about 80-100k into the Ferncourt one to get it to a comparable standard.

Postcode snobbery though on the other hand is alive and well..

I bought up the road from Woodstown and while my address is Dublin 16 (I don't really consider it Knocklyon), but its in catchment area for Colmcilles School which was a big deciding factor when looking at houses either side of the Ballycullen road.

Advertisement