Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dotsy O'Callaghan in Australia

Options
  • 24-03-2015 11:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

I read an old article recently by journalist David Walsh interviewing Dotsy O'Callaghan. I'm an avid GAA follower but didn't realise just how good a footballer Dotsy was. He played gaelic for the Dubs but decided to leave the team in 2007 perhaps out of frustration for not getting a proper look-in by management despite the fact his performances merited closer consideration.

He went travelling in 2007 and from what I can gather he continued to play gaelic for the Wolfe Tones in Boston. He then went on to travel to New Zealand and Australia later the same year. Does anybody know how long he spent in Australia and if he continued playing gaelic or whether he took up hurling instead? When he came back at the end of 2007 he joined the Dublin hurling team and the rest as they say is history.

Can't help wondering if he regrets not sticking with gaelic given the 2 all-Ireland's the Dubs have won since 2007? Also, it's a shame that talented dual players like Dotsy, Keaney, Aidan Walsh etc can't balance playing both games and have to make the difficult call in picking one over the other.

Just goes to show how good (a) an athlete he is/was, and (b)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭homeofhurling

he always hurl, lost a leinster minor final to offaly in 2000 Conal Keaney was also on the same team.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Sigur Ros

Does anyone know how long Dotsy was in Australia for and what club he played for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

What a bizarre thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭paul0103

Sigur Ros wrote: »

Just goes to show how good (a) an athlete he is/was, and (b)

I'm dying to find out what else it goes to show!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Sigur Ros

Sorry guys, should have proof-read the bit at the end before posting!

Just interested to know whether he packed up gaa for a few months when he was in Oz and NZ or whether he kept plugging away with a team over there before rejoining the Dublin hurling panel at the end of 2007.

• Advertisement
Advertisement