Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

swimming is super for you!

• 25-03-2015 12:14am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭

had to have a hip replacement y

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Mr.Magooo

Just had a THR. Swimming really helped before the hip replacement. Helping to get my fitness back now after THR.
    Swimming is super for you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭cassid

sorry my phone was acting a tad odd. had hip replacement on Monday and going home tomorrow, normally it's a 6 or 7 day stint.I was told it was because I swim 4/5 times a week, use the kickback and do exercises in the water after lane swimming that my mobility and flexibility was so good. it will kill me having to keep out of the pool for a while it has to be done to allow the new hip time to settle. hopefully the arthritis will give me a bit of time before the next hip needs doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭mad m

@Cassid

Sickner for you not being able to get in pool. Speedy recovery mate.

I thought because I am young (still in my 30's) might get back into the pool quicker but it's definitely 6weeks and longer for breast stroke. I wanted to try outdoor swimming this year but will have to wait. a long long six weeks ahead of me

wtf!!! just have to ask, why new hips in your 30's??? are you an ex GAA player or something??

• Advertisement

degenerative arthritis in my case, in my spine and hips. started when I was 19 and had my first disc out at 21 no history of it in my family, my dad and mam have better hips than me!! swimming has been my saving grace since I was 19 without it, I would have been much worse.

ah sorry to hear that. good though that you're very active in the pool. you'll be flying in weeks, your great mind set comes across clearly in the tone of your message, good stuff.

cassid wrote: »
    I thought because I am young (still in my 30's) might get back into the pool quicker but it's definitely 6weeks and longer for breast stroke. I wanted to try outdoor swimming this year but will have to wait. a long long six weeks ahead of me

I know how you feel. I have just turned 40 and i'm 9 weeks post op. To be honest it was six weeks before i got back in the pool. Probably could of got back in a bit sooner but didn't want to risk anything.
    The most important thing i would say to you is to make sure you do your physio 3 time a day. Its very important to get the strength and flexibility back into your leg.
    I also walked at least twice a day and built the distance up GRADUALLY.
    Your so young and have the rest of your life to swim. Right now you have to concentrate on building the strength back up in your leg.
    Don't take chances, a mistake now could set you back months. Be PATIENT don't rush, take your time. You just had a major operation and there's a lot of healing to happen.
    As the other poster said stay positive. You'll be back swimming again in no time. Also there is no reason you can't do open water swimming this season.
    PM me anytime if you have any questions. I have just be through it.
    Your physio is the most IMPORTANT thing you have to do right now. Consider it as part of your swim training.
    Good luck with the new hip.

40 with hip problems? is that arthritis as well?
    I saw on TV3 there Waterford hospital did more 350 hip replacements last yr and most were athletes.

rusty cole wrote: »
    40 with hip problems? is that arthritis as well?
    I saw on TV3 there Waterford hospital did more 350 hip replacements last yr and most were athletes.

I wish wish i did more swimming when i was younger and less rugby and cycling.

• Advertisement

Mr.Magooo wrote: »
    I wish wish i did more swimming when i was younger and less rugby and cycling.

isn't cycling easy on the hips/joints? I understand the rugby though.

rusty cole wrote: »
    isn't cycling easy on the hips/joints? I understand the rugby though.

Not that it was a cause, but it kept me out of the sea / pool.

oh I see. I think keeping supple and healthy now is overtaking the whole muscle culture, which is good.

Everyone is doing bikram yoga or some form of yoga. Tried 10 classes last year of bikram yoga. Sorted out my back, but back at me again so seriously thinking about doing it again.

yeah lots of back issues are flexibility or imbalance based I hear, Yoga teaches both or how to be strong in supple positions. I did one class and had the broadest shoulders there. 20 seconds into one shoulder dominant position, wobbling like jelly!!! girls half my size holding rigid like iron!! ha ha very humbling day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

mad m wrote: »
    Everyone is doing bikram yoga or some form of yoga. Tried 10 classes last year of bikram yoga. Sorted out my back, but back at me again so seriously thinking about doing it again.

Interested in your feedback on this madm. I have been considering bikram yoga myself, mainly because the closest studio to me is a bikram studio and also they run very good incentive programs for newbies. But, as soon as I mentioned to a friend that does yoga regularly (not bikram) they were horrified and said it is definitely not for beginners, so I don't know what to think now.

Thoughts here or by pm would be really appreciated.

Mojo.

MojoMaker wrote: »
    Interested in your feedback on this madm. I have been considering bikram yoga myself, mainly because the closest studio to me is a bikram studio and also they run very good incentive programs for newbies. But, as soon as I mentioned to a friend that does yoga regularly (not bikram) they were horrified and said it is definitely not for beginners, so I don't know what to think now.

Thoughts here or by pm would be really appreciated.

Mojo.

My wife does it every day, for newbies at Bikram yoga classes they do an offer of 49 euro for the Month you want to try it. Its great value for the month. Id let the teacher know your new as they will help you along. Your first class you will be saying (What the F am I doing) but keep going. Once your month is up its 18euro a class but it works out cheaper if you do a month Direct Debit, which I think is 99 a month, but you have unlimited classes.

They do challenges which the lastest one is 100days non stop,think there is 30days left on that challenge. Drink plenty of water an hour/two before hand as you will sweat. They have matts you can rent for 2euro (Harolds Cross,Greenmount bikram Yoga studio) anything else you want to know drop me a line.

thanks for all the replies. Am used to flying around doing things even though was on a crutch for nearly a year, you would be surprised how quick u can go. not resting enough will be the worst thing for me. I found swimming my saving grace, for a few years each week I was totally pain free and mentally it keeps you sane to handle chappy arthritis.
    when I had my first disc out I met people who were having replacements in their teens. at least I lasted til my late 30's
    am bribing my children that I need foot rubs, I can see my 6 year doubtfully doing it, might get one or two more before I am told to feck off.
    I was talking to the physio and he says anybody who swims they can tell immediately, I have always been pro swimming but did not realise that.
    would love to try some outdoor swimming later this year just have to overcome the cold.

super advice Mr Magoo thanks so much

had to have a hip replacement y

I hope your recovery is going well.

• Advertisement

Hey,

Got every infection going, wound burst open twice, readmitted 3 times.

But still got into the pool today at 6 weeks post op, after begging surgeon last week.

OMG it was just super to feel water all around my body again, I so missed it.

Am only allowed to do front crawl until 12 weeks post operative.

Was afraid to move my legs too much today so hopefully the fear will go and will start kicking again.

Kicking off the wall is a bit odd to be honest, as I used only one foot, the one that did not have the replacement, was afraid to use both just yet.

Will have to ask physio.

Am hoping to get to 4 swims a week now.

Left a wet hat in my swimming bag, my God the smell from it today!!

Hope everybody is keeping well xx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21 mojitojoe

Hey,

Got every infection going, wound burst open twice, readmitted 3 times.

But still got into the pool today at 6 weeks post op, after begging surgeon last week.

OMG it was just super to feel water all around my body again, I so missed it.

Am only allowed to do front crawl until 12 weeks post operative.

Was afraid to move my legs too much today so hopefully the fear will go and will start kicking again.

Kicking off the wall is a bit odd to be honest, as I used only one foot, the one that did not have the replacement, was afraid to use both just yet.

Will have to ask physio.

Am hoping to get to 4 swims a week now.

Left a wet hat in my swimming bag, my God the smell from it today!!

Hope everybody is keeping well xx

It sounds like you've been in the wars. Sorry to hear it didn't go so smoothly. Hope your ok now. I had hip replaced in January still can't do the breaststroke. Some would say I never could.
    I know what you mean about pushing off the wall. I've been trying to tumble turn at the wall, but to be honest i'm a still a little nervous and not committing fully to it. I'm sure I look like a real muppet.
    Do you mind me asking where you had your hip done.

Advertisement