Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Unlocking iPhone internationally

• 25-03-2015 12:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

A friend of mine sold another lad his iphone 5s a few weeks back.
    The lad he's sold it to has now moved to america, and when trying to use the phone it's saying it needs to be unlocked.
    He rang the american providers and apple and they both said it needs to be done from home, anybody any idea how to go about it? is it as simple as ringing meteor and they'll unlock it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

The lad he's sold it to has now moved to america, and when trying to use the phone it's saying it needs to be unlocked.
    He rang the american providers and apple and they both said it needs to be done from home, anybody any idea how to go about it? is it as simple as ringing meteor and they'll unlock it?

All he needs to do is find who it's locked to then buy an unlock for that provider on eBay. It's a fairly straight forward process.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 wickedwritah

Hello, could someone explain how to do the reverse?

I'm here from the States and would like to use my old iPhone 4S with a local SIM card, but it hasn't been unlocked by AT&T.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide this silly American.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

I'm here from the States and would like to use my old iPhone 4S with a local SIM card, but it hasn't been unlocked by AT&T.

It's not the reverse, you do the exactly same thing, buy an AT&T unlock on eBay.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭kaerobe

Get the friend who originally owned it to fire meteor an email requesting an unlock. Its simple. If you can, I would avoid paying any fees. He really should have unlocked it before selling it on. May take a few days for the request to go through, and I think it requires a full SW restore through itunes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,064 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

kaerobe wrote: »
    He really should have unlocked it before selling it on.
    Why ?

And it may not be as simple as shooting Meteor an email. The seller may not have used the minimum spend before unlock becomes an entitlement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,484 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

kaerobe wrote: »
    He really should have unlocked it before selling it on.
    dodzy wrote: »
    Why ?

Because he was selling it to a 'friend' who was emigrating to the US in a few weeks? Clearly if the phone was locked to Meteor, the 'friend' wouldn't be able to use it in the US.

So unless he's claiming a fool's pardon, he should have had it unlocked before he sold it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,064 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

coylemj wrote: »
    Because he was selling it to a 'friend' who was emigrating to the US in a few weeks? Clearly if the phone was locked to Meteor, the 'friend' wouldn't be able to use it in the US.

So unless he's claiming a fool's pardon, he should have had it unlocked before he sold it.

I read it as a friend of the OP sold the phone to 'another lad '. Didn't see it as necessarily a personal friend. If that's the case, and assuming the buyer knew he was States bound, then he should have done his homework and ensured it was unlocked before purchasing. Nothing suggests the seller was being devious, unless I'm missing something ?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭dublinercheese

AT&T has an online process for unlocking AT&T iPhones:
    https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,484 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

dodzy wrote: »
    I read it as a friend of the OP sold the phone to 'another lad '. Didn't see it as necessarily a personal friend. If that's the case, and assuming the buyer knew he was States bound, then he should have done his homework and ensured it was unlocked before purchasing. Nothing suggests the seller was being devious, unless I'm missing something ?:confused:

A lot of posters on boards have 'friends' who do silly and dodgy things.

Advertisement