Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NYC/Washington in January

Options
  • 25-03-2015 10:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭

We are planning on going on our honeymoon in January 2016. Getting married this August but cannot go away immediately for various reasons.

Anyway, we are planning on going to New York and Washington.

Firstly, are we made going that time of year, given how unpredictable the weather might be?

We will probably be going to a few shows, some shopping, some museums (especially in DC) etc but also would like to do some outdoor things – like carriage-ride in central park, walk Brooklyn Bridge, Staten Island ferry etc. Are we mad to do this in January?

We have provisionally earmarked 6 nights in NYC and 6 nights in Washington.
    We have no flights booked yet, but have booked hotels (with free cancellation if things change) in Tribeca in NYC and just north of Dupont Circle in Washington. Are these good areas to stay?

Any other advice or things we should look out for?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭IrishPhoenix

Just google the snow they had this year. If you're looking to do a lot of outdoor things you have picked the worst time of year!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Just google the snow they had this year. If you're looking to do a lot of outdoor things you have picked the worst time of year!

I know it's not ideal, but it will be my OH's 30th birthday next January so we will definitely be going somewhere around those dates!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

Not ideal? I was there over Valentines' Day and there was a windchill of -30c. It was absolutely f*cking horrendous. Had I not had to be there (American partner) for V Day, not a chance would I have gone.

Couldn't really even go outside unless we knew where we were going and went straight there! Plus the subway went onto a weekend schedule to cope with the weather. Just...not great. Especially for a honeymoon!

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Dave1442397

You know, I love NYC in the winter. As long as you're dressed for the weather, it's no big deal being outside. When you get those clear, crisp days with blue skies and views that go on forever, you just can't beat it.

I've taken visitors to all the sights in winter months, and once the crowds die down after New Year's, it's a great time to see the sights without long lines.

You can take the carriage ride in Central Park, and then go ice skating and have a nice hot chocolate to warm up. If you're chilly after walking the Brooklyn Bridge, head to Grimaldi's for some nice hot pizza.

As for what to wear, I always go for layers. If I'm planning on doing a lot of walking outdoors, I'll wear a light thermal layer, a light fleece layer, and then my ski jacket on top. A good pair of ski gloves (or equivalent) is a must. If your legs get cold, get some lined jeans from LL Bean or wear thermal long johns. Get a good pair of waterproof boots and thermal socks and you're all set. If the wind chill is getting down in the single digits or below, you might want a balaclava/ski mask to protect your face. The wind can really howl down the avenues in the city, and it's no fun if you're not ready for it.

The good thing about walking around is that there's always a store or museum to duck into if you're getting cold. I take my daughter for a walk up 5th Avenue every December to check out the Christmas displays, and she can last the full day as long as we take a break from the weather now and again.

Tribeca is fine. You can walk to plenty of interesting areas from there. For long North/South trips when you're tired of walking, the subway is your friend.

I've been to DC in winter too, and pretty much the same applies there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

As long as you're prepared you'll be fine. I was in NYC recently when they had feet of snow and it was beyond freezing. I loved it, but then again was completely prepared- thermal layers below, jeans a and a good ski jacket. When I was helping my cousin shovel the sidewalk we also had ski pants on over our jeans.

Waterproof and lined shoes are a must as are hats gloves and balaclavas if it is really windy. While it sounds like a lot of work, it is worth it and you'll be able to enjoy the city. I don't think horse carriages are allowed operate below certain temperatures so it could be the luck of the draw.

You could get lucky and have it just below freezing and no snow. This winter was harsh, and you just need to keep an eye as you get closer. Storms can come out of nowhere so you could be clear and crisp one day, and a nor'easter the next.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

New York City in the snow is magical if you're on a honeymoon and in a good hotel. Washington DC too.

But I'd spend more time in NY than DC. 4-5 days in DC the rest in NY.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Did NYC two years in a row in January (4/5 years ago. The first trip I waIked across the Brooklyn Bridge on a Saturday afternoon, it was 16 degrees Celsius! The same week a year later and it was -5! So your question OP is impossible to answer with any certainty. Plan for cold (layers) and be pleasantly surprised if it's warmer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

athtrasna wrote: »
    Did NYC two years in a row in January (4/5 years ago. The first trip I waIked across the Brooklyn Bridge on a Saturday afternoon, it was 16 degrees Celsius! The same week a year later and it was -5! So your question OP is impossible to answer with any certainty. Plan for cold (layers) and be pleasantly surprised if it's warmer.

T'would be a lovely city if you could roof it..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Just north of Dupont is fine but this winter here was harsh. So be warned that some days in January could be too cold to even leave the hotel!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

Yeah when I was there it wasn't just cold, it was the coldest in 20 years. We were told not to even go outside. I'd sooner not die haha.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

The weather can be very unpredictable alright. I've been in NY in Dec/Jan when it was a balmy 12/14 degrees with crisp blue skies. It was nice to be out, as long as you had a decent coat. I have also been there when the snow drifts were 5 ft high and public transport was shut down or curtailed. Loads of places were closed, as the staff couldn't get to work from the suburbs.

I've been there when it was so bone chillingly cold, it was physically painful to be out of doors for more than a couple of minutes, or there was that horrible icy, sleety rain that falls sideways. That can turn a romantic walk through Central Park into an utterly miserable experience.

For a trip as long as yours, go to an outdoors shop or camping shop & invest in decent coats and water proof shoes/boots that you can walk in snow and slushy ice with. Your anorack from Dunnes really won't cut it, not with the horrendous wind chill factor that NYC can get. It's impossible to describe if you have never experienced it.

Have plenty of indoor things to do as back ups, if the weather is crap. Do your research on any tourist attractions/museums etc that may close up shop during the winter off season. A lot of them do.

Get good travel insurance before you go. US based airlines do not have the same obligations to passengers if bad weather impacts flights, that the European ones do.

That being said, I'd say that the odds of the weather being utterly crap for all 12 of your days there are slim.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Paul_Hacket

Lived here 20 years and would strongly advise against doing this. January can be brutal. Much of the joy of nyc involves walking around, taking in the city and people watching. You aren't going to feel like doing much of that when there's a minus -20C windchill outside. And as for people watching, all you will see is a grumpy populace festooned in down overcoats. In January you won't even have any of the Christmas buzz that you get in December. It's by far my least favorite time of year in the city. If you have your heart set on North America I'd consider somewhere like New Orleans and maybe a trip down to Mexico instead, some amazing stuff down there.

We have no flights booked yet, but have booked hotels (with free cancellation if things change) in Tribeca in NYC

I'm no expert on New York but I usually try to be in "Midtown" which is up around the south end of central park. Its the general area of times square and close to the theatres on Broadway, plus museums etc, shops on 5th avenue.

Its probably a lot more touristy than Tribeca which I think is more towards the Financial area and maybe a bit quieter.

If you have your heart set on North America I'd consider somewhere like New Orleans...

Hard to argue with that.

Although I'm a romantic and a honeymoon in the snow in New York sounds memorable, New Orleans is also pretty special and the weather is going to be nice and its probably cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭biddywiddy

I was in NYC last January for two days, before flying to the Caribbean. The first day was rainy but not so cold. Pleasant enough to walk around. The second day was so brutally cold we couldn't stay outside for long. The wind was just cutting. I guess it's hit or miss what weather you happen to get, but, if we were doing it again we'd probably give NYC a miss and go straight to warmth!

Advertisement