Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Housing estates upkeep- City/County council

Options
  • 25-03-2015 10:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭

I recently received a letter from a homeowner in the same estate where I live whom I never met or who doesn't live in the estate requesting €50 for a green to be cut.

Would it not be city/county councils responsibility to look after it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Nemanrio wrote: »
    I recently received a letter from a homeowner in the same estate where I live whom I never met or who doesn't live in the estate requesting €50 for a green to be cut.

Would it not be city/county councils responsibility to look after it?

Often there are residents committees who have the hard task of collecting money from residents to go towards the upkeep of the estate.

I think it's a grey area about whether the council should have the responsibility to maintain these areas but I think it's nearly accepted now that if you want something done in a timely manner you (the residents) need to get together and sort it yourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭stwome01

We've been through all of this in our estate recently.

The County Council take no responsibility for the maintenance of the green areas, Shrub bed etc.
    They will fix lighting, roads etc if there is the need.
    If grass cutting etc is not taken care by the residents then it wont be done.
    My estate turned into a jungle before we could get by in from some of the residents.

50Euro sounds very good to me. All lot of estates ask for upto 200/year.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Nemanrio

stwome01 wrote: »
    We've been through all of this in our estate recently.

The County Council take no responsibility for the maintenance of the green areas, Shrub bed etc.
    They will fix lighting, roads etc if there is the need.
    If grass cutting etc is not taken care by the residents then it wont be done.
    My estate turned into a jungle before we could get by in from some of the residents.

50Euro sounds very good to me. All lot of estates ask for upto 200/year.
    Often there are residents committees who have the hard task of collecting money from residents to go towards the upkeep of the estate.

I think it's a grey area about whether the council should have the responsibility to maintain these areas but I think it's nearly accepted now that if you want something done in a timely manner you (the residents) need to get together and sort it yourselves.

Cheers for the info. The lady sent a letter to each house asking for€50. There has been no discussions/meetings or anything.
    I thought it was a bit cheeky tbh.One idea is that all residents in the estate could chip in and cut the grass ourselves or perhaps pay a resident to cut it at a cheaper rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Jon_459

Cheers for the info. The lady sent a letter to each house asking for€50. There has been no discussions/meetings or anything.
    I thought it was a bit cheeky tbh.One idea is that all residents in the estate could chip in and cut the grass ourselves or perhaps pay a resident to cut it at a cheaper rate.

Big problem is insurance.... say you're cutting the grass and a stone flies up and damages someone's car - who's gonna pay?

Jon_459 wrote: »
    Big problem is insurance.... say you're cutting the grass and a stone flies up and damages someone's car - who's gonna pay?

Your own health insurance if you're lucky to have it?

Edit misread it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Doesn't it also depend on whether the estate has been taken in charge by the council?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Jon_459 wrote: »
    Your own health insurance if you're lucky to have it?

Health insurance has nothing to do with car damage!!

I'd assume that anyone cutting the grass or maintaining the estate will have to have public liability insurance. That's a whole new ball game.

Health insurance has nothing to do with car damage!!

I'd assume that anyone cutting the grass or maintaining the estate will have to have public liability insurance. That's a whole new ball game.

Misread it. Ya insurance would be a killer.

This is getting more tricky the more I delve into it. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Misread it. Ya insurance would be a killer.

This is getting more tricky the more I delve into it. :D

We pay 50 quid a year for a guy to cut the grass and general weed maintenance of the footpaths. I don't mind as long as the area is maintained well and often.

mordeith wrote: »
    We pay 50 quid a year for a guy to cut the grass and general weed maintenance of the footpaths. I don't mind as long as the area is maintained well and often.

The problem I have is that the person just dropped a letter expecting to be handed 50 quid without any consultation or anything. Said person doesn't even live in the estate.

Perhaps there could be someone else to do it cheaper? You just don't know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

I recently received a letter from a homeowner in the same estate where I live....
    Said person doesn't even live in the estate.

???

There is a very big difference there.

Call to the person and discuss it maybe. There may be a residents association that you are unaware of.

Anyway. Everywhere I have lived has had this. Currently 70 quid a year for grass to be cut every couple of weeks from early march to mid november-ish. Large hedges also cut and weed killer sprayed along kerbs etc etc. Well worth it.
    Doesn't matter if the estate taken in charge or not. Councils will not do this in estates. As someone said earlier, they will only maintain the roads in the estate once they are taken in charge.

Ludo wrote: »
    ???

There is a very big difference there.

Call to the person and discuss it maybe. There may be a residents association that you are unaware of.

Anyway. Everywhere I have lived has had this. Currently 70 quid a year for grass to be cut every couple of weeks from early march to mid november-ish. Large hedges also cut and weed killer sprayed along kerbs etc etc. Well worth it.
    Doesn't matter if the estate taken in charge or not. Councils will not do this in estates. As someone said earlier, they will only maintain the roads in the estate once they are taken in charge.

The person who sent the letter owns a house but is renting it out.

I don't think there is a residents association either.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭pandaboy

Meet with the person that sent the letter. Pretty cool that someone has taken it upon themselves to organise this. Meet your neighbours and find out from them as well. Have you been living in the estate for a few years? Like, if this is out of the blue and hasn't happened before then it's something to question. Maybe a resident's group would be a great idea, especially if you're living in a large estate/area.

Advertisement