Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Walking Castlegregory to Dingle, Anti-Clockwise?

Options
  • 25-03-2015 11:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi Folks,

My wife and I are planning to walk part of the Dingle way in late April. We are looking to walk for 4 days from Castlegregory to Dingle, hopefully anti-clockwise as we want to walk along the coast and finish in Dingle. Although we are not opposed to starting in Dingle and finishing in Castlegregory.

Has anyone done this? I know most people walk clockwise, does it make much difference?

Does anyone have any tips on any must see things? Places to stay?

We are experienced enough walkers, but dont fancy carrying too much weight with us, are there places to stop along the way for lunch etc or should we bring lunches?

Any advice is much appreciated.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Shoppingbike

It's possible to do this anti clockwise. Have you looked at the dingle way website, there's a lot of good advice and all the suggested accommodation is decent.

As you are probably aware the longest most difficult part of the route skirts Mount Brandon and you will certainly need to carry food and supplies/clothing for this part as it can't be broken. It's a full day.

There are plenty pubs and restaurants on the rest of the dingle way. There are a couple of walking festivals - one in cloghane at Easter and castlegregory and annascaul later in the year, it might be worth tagging along with those as if you are experienced walkers they will take you on some of the more spectacular walks off the main track, and you should still have time to complete the dingle way section on your own.

Plenty of everything to do in the area and dingle town is a taxi ride from everywhere on the route, ballyferriter has plenty craic in the summer. You are spoiled for choice, food, drink, music, historic sites, scenery and shops. Everything is here. A sunny day helps a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Shoppingbike

Also. The b&b's can arrange onward transport of your luggage around the route if needed. Taxis are plentiful and used to walkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 BobBelcher

Thanks Shoppingbike.

Seems to be some good walking notes and maps on the dingle way website, I'll look into the walking festivals too.

Thanks again!

Would you get 4 days out of it? Is it all walkable, in the sense that would have thought on much of it you'll have to move onto the road as the coastline is farmland ending in cliff top.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 BobBelcher

Hi Conor,

Going by the dingle way website there is 7 days walking on the whole thing, and 4 days between Dingle & Castlegregory should see us walking around 20k a day.

You're right though, not all of it will be exactly on the coast, I just meant we don't want to cut across the peninsula and we'd like to stick to the coast as much as possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Niall_daaS

BobBelcher wrote: »
    Hi Conor,

Going by the dingle way website there is 7 days walking on the whole thing, and 4 days between Dingle & Castlegregory should see us walking around 20k a day.

You're right though, not all of it will be exactly on the coast, I just meant we don't want to cut across the peninsula and we'd like to stick to the coast as much as possible.

You would start with a very long beach walk from Castlegregory to Cloghane if you do it anti clockwise and stick strictly to the Dingle Way. It's a very realaxing walk though. The next part crossing the Brandon area would be the complete opposite and can be very challenging. I'd advise of getting luggage transport for this part as adding 20 kg extra weight can take a lot of the fun out of it. There is also a nice cliff part north of Feohanagh off the Dingle Way which could be easily included. For the rest of the route the Dingle Way follows mostly the coast line.

Advertisement