Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parental leave query

Options
  • 25-03-2015 11:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭

Have any of you ever come up against serious difficulty when applying for parental leave and how did you deal with it? Thanks so much in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭FunkSoulSista

Difficulty in taking it at all or what way you want to take it?

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Unreg0909

A bit of both. To be honest I don't mind taking it a day a week or in a block - but I had to take some leave after I returned from maternity as my little boy was very ill on 2 occasions and wound up needing a procedure- all of which I took out of my annual leave and some was classified as force majeure- but it seems that it's being implied that I've taken enough leave as it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

It depends on the job. I think they can postpone it for 6 months. Parental leave can be taken anytime up to when the child is 8 years old. I'm saving it for when ours are in school, and we might take a couple of months off in the summer holidays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

I was refused parental leave so I had to reduce my hours instead :(. They have to review it at a later date tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

It is at the discretion of each employer AFAIK, but it can only be refused so many times before it is accomodated. In our job we have to take six weeks at a time, so I'll use it for school holidays. I know someone else who was only allowed take a day a month and other people have to take one day a week or similar. My husband's work place does it based on the needs of the company depending on the role involved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

We are only allowed to take it in blocks of 7 days and we can only take 18 weeks in one academic year regardless of how many children you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

pwurple wrote: »
    It depends on the job. I think they can postpone it for 6 months. Parental leave can be taken anytime up to when the child is 8 years old. I'm saving it for when ours are in school, and we might take a couple of months off in the summer holidays.

They've pushed the age out to 13 now I'm sure

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

mordeith wrote: »
    They've pushed the age out to 13 now I'm sure

I think that might only be for publics sector workers? I am a teacher and it's Defo 13 for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

What in the name of god do teachers need parental leave for? You are the only profession guaranteed to be allowed take a career break of up to 5 years at a time and when your kids are in school, you are off work every time they are, which is every 6 weeks! Absolute joke

The rest of us then get 4 weeks off a year. Something has to change, teachers get away with absolute murder.

• Advertisement
Advertisement