Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glutes aren't where I want them to be!

Options
  • 25-03-2015 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

I started going to the gym roughly 5 months ago and have managed to make it in for 2hrs 3 days a week and sometimes four. I squat, lunge, do barbell hip bridges and use the leg press. All of these are weighted and weighted much heavier than some girls with maybe "genetically" better bottoms than me that I've seen.

I probably don't get enough protein in my diet and maybe that's the problem? I used the protein calculator on an exercise site which told me I need about 150g of protein a day which would amount to 600kcal a day on protein alone?! Seems a bit crazy to me.

Anyway, anyone have anything to say about it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭guile4582

..........IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII LIKE BIG BUTTS................

• Registered Users Posts: 27 melkat

Me too...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭guile4582

lift heavy, add some deadlifts into the mix
    I wouldn't be keen on leg press tbh

and cycle cycle cycle (or stair climb stair climb stair climb)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

I read the title of this post and thought - "Bottom in the wrong place? That sounds weird!"

More seriously, living at the top of a hill means you walk uphilll and cycle uphill; I've done this all my life and while I am chunky round the waistline, my bum is trim and smooth and doesn't overhang - it almost has its own facebook page, like Pippa LOL

If you place your hand just at the "crease" between top of thigh and lower edge of buttock, you can feel that rope-like muscle tighten as you stride uphill.

So, up-hilling for glamorous glutes, take my word for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭dor843088

Low bar squats and deadlift should be all you need . Protein may be an issue or calories or excessive cardio.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

dor843088 wrote: »
    Low bar squats and deadlift should be all you need . Protein may be an issue or calories or excessive cardio.

Low bar squats are a great way to avoid using your ass becaus they let you rely on back strength to get the weight moving.

High bar paused squats would be a much better idea imo.

Hanley wrote: »
    Low bar squats are a great way to avoid using your ass becaus they let you rely on back strength to get the weight moving.

High bar paused squats would be a much better idea imo.

High bar more quad/knee dominant
    Low bar more posterior chain/hip dominant

I didn't think this was up for debate.

Done right.

But how many people do you see that aren't advanced powerlifters do a low bar squat without letting their hips kick up first.

Theory is one thing.

What happens in the real world is different.

Done right.

But how many people do you see that aren't advanced powerlifters do a low bar squat without letting their hips kick up first.

Theory is one thing.

What happens in the real world is different.

Hips shooting up would transfer even more load to the posterior. Not sure of your logic recommending a less effective exercise based on the assumption wont be performed correctly and like I said even if it isnt it wont matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭Squatman

melkat wrote: »
    I

reading the title i thought your glutes were on your chest,,, LOL

squats and time, you wont get results overnight

• Advertisement

Hips shooting up would transfer even more load to the posterior. Not sure of your logic recommending a less effective exercise based on the assumption wont be performed correctly and like I said even if it isnt it wont matter.

The logic is based off of working with, and seeing hundreds if not thousands of people do it wrong.

Even those in my own gym, and under instruction still get it consistently wrong if they lose concentration or chase weight too soon.

Pause squats solve that issue without fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,377 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Squatting to the same height, say a box at parallel, quad v hip might be more pronounced.
    But most people, especially a novice lifer, able to squat deeper high bar. And as you go deeper past parallel with a high bar position, the glutes will engage more.
    So the difference between a high bar ATG squat and a low bar parallel is less. And it the person has a tendency to good morning low bar squats, its probably going out the window.
    Pause squats solve that issue without fail.
    Do your guys do their pause squats mainly low bar or high bar?
    Or do they simple follow whatever style they usually use.

Advertisement