Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Automated testing for mobile apps

Options
  • 25-03-2015 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭

So I've been looking into this recently, and wondering if anyone has found a solution that they're happy with.

I've setup a Jenkins instance on one of our servers using various tutorials URL="http://www.vogella.com/tutorials/Jenkins/article.html"]1[/URLURL="http://www.slideshare.net/sveinungkb/automated-android-testing-using-jenkins-ci"]2[/URL (these are all ANT based actually so I'll have to convert to gradle), and have started off by installing an Android plugin. The next step is to test it and see what its capable of.

However, I'm curious to see how much testing I'll actually be able to do on the UI itself. I would have thought none at all. I've seen Monkeyrunner before, which basically seems to just randomly hit points on the screen, which to me isnt great as you can't really formally test random touches of the screen. I've also found robotium, which promises a lot, but doesnt go into too much detail about its capabilities.

So now I'm onto Espresso. This seems promising as you can specifiy buttons by ID, and execute a click action on them. Now it still might not be perfect, for example, can it test a viewpager swiping across to ensure each view has been built properly. To me it seems like there's still going to have to be manual testing no matter what.

So in summary, has anyone found a solution to automated testing that they can say they're 100% happy with and confident in?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

China, TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Are you using Espresso 2? Stephan Linzner has given some nice presentations on this at various conferences over the last few months. He gave a nice one at the London Droidcon in November, it should be available online by now.

There was also a nice article last week in the Google Testing Blog regarding UI Testing.

Advertisement