Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Henry Shefflin Retires

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Formosa

Henry is truly one of the greats, was a pleasure to watch him.

However the whole 2012 final second half thing is bit of a myth. How he kept them alive single handedly etc.

So as I said, a good performance without doubt and his free taking was vital but I don't think it could be picked out as Shefflin's best ever performance, he gave many better displays over the years in my opinion.

Interesting & fair comments. I'm a Kilkenny man but not blindly loyal like many.... I remember at the match, I was behind the canal end goal & in the second half I was roaring to give the ball to Shefflin, he's the only one hurling. When I watched it later on TV I was thinking that I thought he had played better than that.
    Part of it maybe is that TV isn't a great medium to see what's going on in a hurling match, also that he was the only forward hurling, Richie Power was getting cleaned by Moore, Colin Fennelly was stink, Larkin & Reid quiet.

Anyway, one man won the final for Kilkenny that year IMO, that was Cunningham, Galway were so dominant that they just needed more of the same in the second half to coast home, and he changed to an awful defence-packed system that killed the Galway forwards.

For what it's worth, I rate the 2006 semi final against Clare where he got 1-13 (I think 1-6 from play) as his best game...

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭donnem33

Henry is truly one of the greats, was a pleasure to watch him.

However the whole 2012 final second half thing is bit of a myth. How he kept them alive single handedly etc.

I remember thinking it at the time that while he was good, his role in the comeback was overstated a little. So when I heard them eulogising about that performance again today I decided to go watch the match again (hadn't seen it in a couple of years) and found it on youtube. It's still painful to watch as a Galway man (we seriously left that one behind) but my hunch at the time was indeed correct. In the second half I watched Shefflin very closely.

The score at half time was 1-9 to 0-7 to us. Henry wins the break off the throw in and hits a decent ball into the forwards. He doesn't touch the ball in open play again until the 51st minute when he gets a great point after a fine catch (his only score from play). He next gets the ball in the 58th minute when he wins a good ball and plays Fennelly in on goal for a chance he misses but Skehill lies on the ball and a a 21 is awarded which Shefflin points.

He catches a puckout in the 63rd minute but he's easily dispossessed by Tannian.

At one point up in the 71st minute he misses a shot from play when all on his own 50 metres from goal. A simple chance that would have secured the game.

Now it's worth saying that in this time he scores 7 out of 7 frees aswell. Some of them are tricky ones and this is probably his major contribution.

Now he played well, don't get me wrong. But as you can see from that he only had possession 5 times in the second half. One of which he scored a point from and another one he created a goal chance for Colin Fennelly. His other 3 possessions lead to wides or the ball being lost.

The ability to score those frees is vital and in fairness he was brilliant on them in that second half.

But there's no way you could say he single handedly dragged Kilkenny back into it or anything like that. That simply isn't true. He made two telling contributions from play and scored his frees. But that's just what he did all his career, that second half was good but it was just what we came to expect from his over his career. I wouldn't say it was a standout performance and I was surprised to hear him say himself that it was his best game.

What cost us that day was that we dropped back the forwards too much and then proceeded to launch long ball into the Kilkenny defence when we were consistently outnumbered and we did too much fouling around the middle which Shefflin punished.

Also Brian Hogan's second half was just unbelievable, the man mopped up everything (though he was helped by our lack of a half forward line).

Also a word must be said about Tannian's performance, superb and was the best player on the pitch without any doubt (think he got man of the match that day) and I'd say Hogan was second best. Probably a toss up between Shefflin and Canning then for the 3rd best. Canning missed a couple of frees which Shefflin didn't but he also did get a magical goal and was generally more involved in the game than Shefflin.

So as I said, a good performance without doubt and his free taking was vital but I don't think it could be picked out as Shefflin's best ever performance, he gave many better displays over the years in my opinion.

Its what he did off the ball though, I remember him constantly urging his team mates and showing real leadership that day- barking orders and giving direction. That is just as important imo as how much time he spent on the ball

Regardless a truly phenomenal talent and one that will be greatly missed. His longevity in the game is astounding aswell and showed as much appetite as he did for his 1st all ireland as his last and that is something to behold!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

bruschi wrote: »
    Canning and Mullane would have been the focal point of a Kilkenny team, winning 10 all Irelands, 11 All stars and 3 players of the year if the roles were reversed? No, no way. I know everyone has their opinions and they cant be wrong, but no.

Agree completely. Also stick shefflin on that great Waterford team and I find it hard to imagine they wouldn't have won some all irelands and that's not a dig at mullane at all who I think is one of the best forwards of the last 20 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

adrian522 wrote: »
    Agree completely. Also stick shefflin on that great Waterford team and I find it hard to imagine they wouldn't have won some all irelands and that's not a dig at mullane at all who I think is one of the best forwards of the last 20 years.

I think that would be far from too general an argument to make. Forwards weren't really the problem either. Mind you, take Shefflin off the Kilkenny team and wed have been in the final in 04.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,732 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Formosa wrote: »
    Interesting & fair comments. I'm a Kilkenny man but not blindly loyal like many.... I remember at the match, I was behind the canal end goal & in the second half I was roaring to give the ball to Shefflin, he's the only one hurling. When I watched it later on TV I was thinking that I thought he had played better than that.
    Part of it maybe is that TV isn't a great medium to see what's going on in a hurling match, also that he was the only forward hurling, Richie Power was getting cleaned by Moore, Colin Fennelly was stink, Larkin & Reid quiet.

Anyway, one man won the final for Kilkenny that year IMO, that was Cunningham, Galway were so dominant that they just needed more of the same in the second half to coast home, and he changed to an awful defence-packed system that killed the Galway forwards.

For what it's worth, I rate the 2006 semi final against Clare where he got 1-13 (I think 1-6 from play) as his best game...

For me, that game was won in the last ten minutes of the first half. Galway were 7 or 8 points up and running away with after twenty minutes, and completely dominant. Kilkenny turned closed the gap to 5 by half time, rather than it building up to 9 or 10, and that's when the game was won for me. And I've a clear memory of Shefflin winning some really important ball, as well as marshalling the team, as well as taking the frees, during that key period.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭MfMan

Formosa wrote: »

Ya, funny that I also thought Shefflin had more of an influence in '12; perhaps it was because it was he that was getting the scores, thus you felt they were 'worth more' than just a score. Funny also that he chose to point the penalty, rather than go for goal a-la 2009.

Cunningham's tactics were certainly at fault that day, and many a day since. Another thing that stuck in the mind from that day was that the breeze played a certain factor in Galway's 2nd half performance. A number of efforts from further out the field, e.g Canning frees, Donnellan shot, were heading on target until they emerged from the shelter of the Cusack, whereupon the breeze suddenly pushed them off course. Brian Hogan's resurgence was also crucial to the outcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    For me, that game was won in the last ten minutes of the first half. Galway were 7 or 8 points up and running away with after twenty minutes, and completely dominant. Kilkenny turned closed the gap to 5 by half time, rather than it building up to 9 or 10, and that's when the game was won for me. And I've a clear memory of Shefflin winning some really important ball, as well as marshalling the team, as well as taking the frees, during that key period.

Watched it last night didn't think he did much first half. He won one high ball alright but that was earlier. TJ Reid was very good when the game was getting away round then, and contrary to another poster while he wasn't winning ball in the air Richie Power got afew possessions through his work rate that got them frees and a great point from the sideline. No doubt Shefflin played his part, Id agree it does seem to be over stated but he did really drive them on by being a vocal presence.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭coopdog85

Yes.

No, it was not. Typical of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,931 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

coopdog85 wrote: »
    No, it was not. Typical of them.

Who is "them"?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭robbiezero

MfMan wrote: »
    As individual displays go, it was better. Canning was then 19 and in his first Senior season. His display was spread over both halves, was instrumental in getting Diarmuid O'Sullivan subbed and Donal Og sent off, scored 2-12 out of 2-15, 1-5 from play, a lot of them excellent scores. He was a man alone that day, with damn all support from team mates.

It's a bit of a myth, one of many that circulate about Galway hurling, that Canning is inconsistent. There are very few games that pass that he doesn't make some contribution in; it's the supporting cast around him that so frequently let him down. Believe me, if he was from KK, Henry would have even more medals.

Anyway, I don't want to turn this in another Shefflin V Canning debate, there have been enough. Both superb players, different in style and method. One happened to be born in the right county, the other not yet.

Canning's display that day was the most "one man" team effort I think I have ever seen in a GAA game. Shefflin's display v Galway in 2012 while vital doesn't even come close.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭onyerbikepat

Often wonder if Henry was born in Leitrim, Louth or Longford?:rolleyes:
    The GAA is funny, that way. Where you are born, how good your team mates are, whether the manager takes a dislike to ya, has so much bearing on whether you reach your full potential or not.

Fair play to him! Great to see him going out on a high. He worked bloody hard for all he achieved.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

Long live the king!

Fantastic hurler.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I think that would be far from too general an argument to make. Forwards weren't really the problem either. Mind you, take Shefflin off the Kilkenny team and wed have been in the final in 04.

In fairness take shefflin away from Kilkenny , at a minimum you can take away the all Ireland's of 2003,2009 and 2012. You could make an argument for others too.

That game in 2004 sticks out in my mind co.ing as it did after the eye injury the previous week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Dietsquirt

I must admit i'm not a huge GAA fan.. i'm from Dublin - sure what we would we know about Hurling :p

However, I do recognise a true legend of the sport when I see one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,403 ✭✭✭megadodge

Despite hating seeing Kilkenny win, I always had huge admiration for Henry Shefflin.

He is IMO the best hurler I have ever seen and always came across as a gentleman too.

Class act.

• Advertisement

Who is "them"?

Kilkenny, RTE & the media in general. Holding a press conference for this guy? Who cares. Great hurler no doubting that but honestly who cares if he retires or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Kenajonn

Kilkenny, RTE & the media in general. Holding a press conference for this guy? Who cares. Great hurler no doubting that but honestly who cares if he retires or not?

I think you can see by the responses on here that quite a few people care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Who cares? Seriously?

How about....oh I'm just taking a wild guess here....the people of Kilkenny, hurling fans in general, sports fans who greatly admire how such an iconic figure carries himself on & off the pitch, the supporters in other counties who are thinking "Thanks be to fcuk he is gone", his team mates, his family....you know....all those people ! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

It's a bit suspicious that he conveniently announces his retirement just before he would have had to face the mighty Banner this weekend :)

Great player to watch live. All good things come to an end.

Was a media event necessary though?

From what i hear on the grapevine both Henry and Eamon Langton have heavier pockets for it and good luck to them sure why not :)

• Advertisement

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Who cares? Seriously?

How about....oh I'm just taking a wild guess here....the people of Kilkenny, hurling fans in general, sports fans who greatly admire how such an iconic figure carries himself on & off the pitch, the supporters in other counties who are thinking "Thanks be to fcuk he is gone", his team mates, his family....you know....all those people ! :rolleyes:

I have absolutely no problem with a small tribute on the Sunday game or the sports news on the 6.01 on RTE but Jesus give me a break. A press conference? There's more important things going on in the world & indeed Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Right. And the Henry Sheflin coverage far, far outweighed...what....the coverage of the plane crash in the Alps, or the latest water charges protests? Gimme a break ! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

A tremendous player from an era when Kilkenny had seven or eight greats,as a non KK person is his wife a local?,saw her in the Irish Independent today,Henry a bit out of even his league with her:)

wtf? :eek:

From what i hear on the grapevine both Henry and Eamon Langton have heavier pockets for it and good luck to them sure why not :)

now now

I have absolutely no problem with a small tribute on the Sunday game or the sports news on the 6.01 on RTE but Jesus give me a break. A press conference? There's more important things going on in the world & indeed Ireland.

There's 100s of other channels to chose from. Exercise that choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,931 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Sorry it upset you so badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭clashoftheash

Hi guys ...wrote a small tribute to henry on my website..would love if you could check it out and coomment what you think? http://clashoftheash.net/a-salute-to-a-king/

• Registered Users Posts: 9 lostsheep120

A true legend, I'd go as far as saying he should have a stadium named after him

A true legend, I'd go as far as saying he should have a stadium named after him

Glanbia Nowlan Shefflin Park? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Saw him first in the flesh when he absolutely cleaned Liam Hodgins for Galway in 1999 AI semi final. Liam Hodgins was arguably Galways best defender at the time. I remember people giving out about Hodgins for ages after that match - history has been kind to his performance though :)

In the 2012 match v Galway, I was really disappointed in how Shefflin took a point from a penalty. I thought at the time - "you are the best hurler around. Back yourself and score a goal". But in saying that, easily the best hurler I have seen in my life.

• Advertisement
Advertisement