Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Alex/Rocket espresso machines

• 25-03-2015 1:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,700 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone here using either of these makes and have feedback on them ?

Izzo Alex Deuetta
    main-image-izzo-alex-duetto.jpg

Rocket Evolutione
    rocket_giotto_5.jpg

I'm getting upgrade-itis and want to move beyond my Gaggia Classic and Graef grinder at some stage in the next few months. Initially I had thought the next jump up the coffee ladder would be a brand new Rancilio and Rocky grinder. But now I'm thinking of skipping that step and instead going second hand and seeking out a 3-4 year old machine (more than likely a Rocket Evolutione) and matching it with a used but good condition stepless Mazzer Mini doserless grinder. I figure I'm going to eventually end up at this combination so I reckon better to upgrade once for years to come rather than twice.

I love the aesthetics of the Rocket and Alex machines. That aside the main things I want in a machine is a dual boiler to avoid the temperature surfing of the Gaggia, a steamer capable of producing consistent microfoam and a machine that produces consistent espresso. Looks are important but it also has to do everything I need at the same time. I make two coffee drinks about 5-6 times per day on average and need a machine that looks good and can also handle everything I need it for.

Any advice/feedback on Rockets or Alex that are a few years old. Any other machines I should be considering too ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

I almost bought an Alex 2 for my last upgrade. It is a solid machine and get great reviews.
    Both machines should offer consistency with espresso, so any faults will be on you!
    For Milk based drinks the second boiler should offer near endless steam so not to worry there. Some of the higher end machines also have timers so they will switch on in the morning and be nice and warm in time for the first cup.

The only thing I can say is that when buying a machine of the age mentioned (3-4yrs) you need to be very careful of the condition of the internals. If the owner wasn't adhering to a strict maintenance regime then you might end up buying something that will need all new parts.

For example, if they did not frequently descale the machine then there is a likely problem with scale build up in the boiler and on the elements. With a large scale build up you would need to sandblast the parts to get them clean, but more than likely you will be replacing the elements as they would be quite worn.
    Descaling by flushing only removes a top layer, so for piece of mind you will likely want to dismantle the boiler and soak it anyways.

Then there would also be smaller items such as the group head seal. If it wasn't replaced then you will likely be doing so. Not very expensive but it would indicate just how much care and attention the owner showed to their beloved.
    Oddly enough and much like a car, you may wish to have a service history from the previous owner (though they are unlikely to present you with a log book).

It all comes down to budget at the end of the day but sometimes a new machine is worth the extra expense seeing as you will be using it for many years to come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,700 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

@Doodee thanks for your advice and apologies for not getting back- I completely forgot about this thread till I stumbled across it just now.
    I take on board what you're saying about buying second hand but I just dont think I could stretch to paying full whack at the moment. My current machine is also used but even though I was reasonably confident the previous owner looked after it I still descaled it several times over the first four weeks as well as replacing the seal and shower screen and a few other mods. It made a sizeable difference and I enjoyed tinkering around with it.
    I think I've settled on the Rocket Evoloution but its rare they come up on ebay second hand, there was an Alex a few weeks back but the bidding on it was fierce so I got gazumped=(

Advertisement