Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dun Laoghaire baths refit

Options
  • 25-03-2015 1:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭

Article in the Independent on a refit of the baths, see here

Mind you, someone has already complained about it
    However, an appeal has been lodged with the planning authorities objecting to the development.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

No, the objection being referred to is to the floating pool and urban beach proposal for the east pier, not to the Baths site upgrade.

Though no doubt there will be objections to something or other about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

looking forward to work starting on this area. The demolition of the ancillary buildings can't happen quickly enough.

I think that the idea of a new pier for swimming makes much more sense that building new pools. Easier to maintain and doesn't need to be charged for.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

It is about time this derelict site was demolished and something worthwhile put in its place. It has been derelict for a whole generation. No doubt there will be protests at anything being done but hopefully it will be demolished at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭crushproof

Seriously who would lodge an objection to this? It's not a private development, there's no 9 story tower as previously proposed and it opens up the entire seafront to the public.
    It's the simple solution, and the solution that should have been proposed and built years ago. Yet another extremely positive development for Dun Laoghaire seafront.
    As much as I can't stand DLRCC, the development of the Metalworks, the library, refurb of the Peoples Park and now this are all turning Dun Laoghaire into a prime day trip destination.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

crushproof wrote: »
    Seriously who would lodge an objection to this? It's not a private development, there's no 9 story tower as previously proposed and it opens up the entire seafront to the public.
    It's the simple solution, and the solution that should have been proposed and built years ago. Yet another extremely positive development for Dun Laoghaire seafront.
    As much as I can't stand DLRCC, the development of the Metalworks, the library, refurb of the Peoples Park and now this are all turning Dun Laoghaire into a prime day trip destination.

I made a mistake on the planning permission quote. Full bit is below and looks like it relates to the urban beach
    Recently an "urban beach" was granted planning permission by the council that will include both heated and a sea water swimming pools.
    The facility, which will be located at the East Pier, if built, will open for six months of the year. Both Dun Laoghaire Harbour Company and DLR County Council will fund the €2.5m urban beach project.
    However, an appeal has been lodged with the planning authorities objecting to the development.

• Advertisement

The proposal in the news today for a cruise ship quay is another positive

http://afloat.ie/port-news/cruise-liners/item/28183-dun-laoghaire-harbour-company

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I welcome the redevelopment of the old baths site, but have to say I'm completely underwhelmed by the proposal of a bit of landscaping, an "artists studio" (how many vacant business premises does the town now have?) and a coffee shop. Because DL needs yet another coffee shop...

All seems to lack any imagination or contribution of anything new.

Tabnabs wrote: »
    I welcome the redevelopment of the old baths site, but have to say I'm completely underwhelmed by the proposal of a bit of landscaping, an "artists studio" (how many vacant business premises does the town now have?) and a coffee shop. Because DL needs yet another coffee shop...

All seems to lack any imagination or contribution of anything new.

I'd say we've missed the boat (budget wise) in terms of having something creative or imaginative being built there. And of course anything out of the ordinary will bring out the NIMBYs and the plans will eventually be shelved and brought back to the drawing board.
    As mundane as the current plan is, at least it's removing a horrible eyesore from the seafront and it does leave scope for future development.

Although you're right though - another bloody coffee shop!! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Would not having a coffee shop improve it? The very least any visitor location requires these days is refreshments and toilets, even cemeteries have them! Teddys pricey promenade café might be put out, but its a good distance from the Metals food outlets.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Would not having a coffee shop improve it? The very least any visitor location requires these days is refreshments and toilets, even cemeteries have them! Teddys pricey promenade café might be put out, but its a good distance from the Metals food outlets.

Good god man, can you not last more than 200m without a paper coffee cup in your hand?!

Teddy's, F&B, Silver Moon Cafe, Poppy's, Insomnia, Lexicon coffee shop, Fourty Foot, there's half a dozen places within 500m of the baths that sell coffee. How much coffee does DL really need?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Good god man, can you not last more than 200m without a paper coffee cup in your hand?!

Teddy's, F&B, Silver Moon Cafe, Poppy's, Insomnia, Lexicon coffee shop, Fourty Foot, there's half a dozen places within 500m of the baths that sell coffee. How much coffee does DL really need?

Sea views are its great advantage though, and many of the places you listed are closed on certain days. With the communal tables in the park just opposite they will all create a really nice park-plaza-seaside spot combination for those who want to spend some time on the Sandycove side of DL.
    It will also reduce foot traffic on the street with the alternative walk route below, it can be mental sometimes.
    It looks great to me, I hope we'll get it soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Fallon and Byrnes too.

ted1 wrote: »
    Fallon and Byrnes too.

Ouzos are opening a new branch of their Fish Shack brand in the old Martello Cafe/Bistro premises on the corner of Islington Ave and Newtownsmith/Windsor Tce. I hope for the sake of this board that they won't be selling coffee.

In an ideal world (without the louts) it would be a superb location for a gastropub with a fantastically large beer garden / patio in the summer. Alas, not a hope in heck of that happening.
    Even more impressive would be if they had electric outdoor public BBQs a lá Australia. Again extremely unlikely due to the everyday anti social aspect of Irish life.

In an ideal world (without the louts) it would be a superb location for a
    full size Olympic sea water pool. Heated with heat exchanger using heat extracted from the sea.

Fallon and Byrnes too.

"F&B" ;)

In an ideal world (without the louts) it would be a superb location for a gastropub with a fantastically large beer garden / patio in the summer. Alas, not a hope in heck of that happening.
    Even more impressive would be if they had electric outdoor public BBQs a lá Australia. Again extremely unlikely due to the everyday anti social aspect of Irish life.

The NIMBYs who would straight away object to the "privatisation" that would come about from a big gastropub.

full size Olympic sea water pool. Heated with heat exchanger using heat extracted from the sea.

something like the one at Stonehaven in Scotland?

http://www.stonehavenopenairpool.co.uk/

I visited this a few years ago, very nice, although their definition of "heated" would be a bit different to mine. It's open in the summer only. I can't remember if that was the case with the open air Baths?

Also, this pool is situated a bit back from the sea front so presumably wouldn't need the same amount of dredging that a pool in DL would after an easterly.

something like the one at Stonehaven in Scotland?

http://www.stonehavenopenairpool.co.uk/

I visited this a few years ago, very nice, although their definition of "heated" would be a bit different to mine. It's open in the summer only. I can't remember if that was the case with the open air Baths?

Also, this pool is situated a bit back from the sea front so presumably wouldn't need the same amount of dredging that a pool in DL would after an easterly.

Air temp often effects ones perception of the temperature of a pool.

• Advertisement

Contract signed today. 22 month job due for completition 2020

Work gets underway on multi-million euro development of Dun Laoghaire Baths
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/work-gets-underway-on-multimillion-euro-development-of-dun-laoghaire-baths-36795277.html

Advertisement