Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Voices - Ryan Reynolds, Gemma Arterton, Anna Kendrick

• 25-03-2015 2:05pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I would have sworn we had a thread about this somewhere but I can't find one, so here you go.

UK trailer:

I saw this last night and really enjoyed it, but I have no idea what's going on as far as marketing goes. I generally spend a while at the start of the year going through lists of the year's releases and only noticed this because Anna Kendrick's in the cast. The trailer's only cropped up in UK cinemas in the last month or so and the release seems to be quite limited, plus I've seen barely any buzz or commentary on it online at all - even comic sites who should be all over it because it's directed by Marjane Satrapi have barely noticed it's existence.

All of which is a shame, because it's a fine film. It perfectly balances developing Reynold's character Jerry enough for us to actually care about him with frequent pitch-black humour, while never feeling like it's mocking Jerry, his condition or his victims. As the story progresses, the humour takes a step back, allowing a satisfyingly emotive conclusion to Jerry's arc.
    The humour then returns in the form of a garish musical number just before the credits.

Tonally, it reminds me of Special in that while there are jokes that use the protagonist's mental illness as context, it never feels mean-spirited or mocking, which is what lets its third act succeed where other (excellent, wonderfully entertaining) films like Super don't quite manage it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

I seen this too over the weekend and it was great, Reynolds plays the part of psychotic perfectly, and the cat & dog interaction is hilarious.
    I think they didn't really market this because they weren't sure how to. It's lost somewhere between comedy, horror, and just plain weirdness.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Spotted that on the cinema listings for The Eye and was surprised at hearing nothing about it, hadn't realised Marjane Satrapi was involved at all.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I thought was it really good as well. Never been impressed with Reynolds but he's perfectly cast here, deranged but likeable. It's blacker than black and risks tipping over into Solondz-esque territory at times, but keeps a nice balance.

I didn't see any trailers in advance which is probably the best way to see it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I also very much enjoyed it.

I feel like I did see a trailer for it, but I don't actually remember seeing it, if that makes sense? Maybe I just saw a poster or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭First_October

Saw this today and it was excellent. Reynolds was fantastic. I loved how
    for certain short segments we got the perspective of the sane characters - Reynolds saw his apartment as clean and bright, but to everyone else it was dark and bloody; Fiona's head went from clean and made-up to a bloody mess, etc.
    It could go from hilariously funny to chillingly grim to utterly absurd - and back again - in the space of a minute. This juggling of a panoply of tones, rather than being grating, worked well (IMHO) and in many ways made this portrayal of a mentally ill man all the more profound.

tl;dr - Outstanding film; I'd highly recommend fans of black comedies to go see it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

Was not what i expected. the trailer makes it looks like a laugh a second. And i don't think i laughed out loud once at it.I found it just not funny at all so that was disappointing , I think if you go to see it expecting it not to be funny you'll enjoy it more. It was a fairly good movie but didn't blow me away, best thing about it was the ending (Sing a happy song) and also Reynolds Scottish accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭paddyismaddy

saw this by chance, heard nothing about film and really enjoyed it

reynolds plays the role perfectly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Excellent movie, was looking forward to it but its only on in City Centre so took the easy option and its a really good movie.

Reynolds is perfect in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

The voices starring
    Ryan Renolds. He does a really good job in this dark comedy.

I won't link trailers. Be surprised by it.

Like I said, dark. So don't say I didn't warn you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

this was a mess. Had great potential but goes downhill rapidly after the first murder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

I really enjoyed it. Glad I didn't watch the trailer for it before going to see it because they are miles apart from one another, so can see why some would be disappointed or expecting something else. The humour is deliciously dark, sharp and has the brilliant ability to have you laughing, then two seconds later being filled with dread or disgust, then straight back to laughter without missing a beat. The song at the end has been stuck in my head for days now!

If anything though, this has me more excited for Deadpool. Seeing just how well Ryan plays this role to near perfection makes me think he will bring his best to playing another comedic pschyo.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

s8n wrote: »
    this was a mess. Had great potential but goes downhill rapidly after the first murder.

Out of curiosity, how do you think it should have played out?

Advertisement