Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of a new pet...

• 25-03-2015 3:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭

So... we are thinking of a new pet to join the family, I've always had small furries in the past but when the last once left us I didn't replace him as we have, in the meantime, become cat people!
    We have been researching, and talking about, getting a corn snake.
    I'm wondering if anyone here has both cats and corn snakes and could offer their experience.
    My concerns are that
    1) The mere presence of a snake will upset the cats, ie that they might feel threatened or unsafe by us having one in the house?
    2) We woud have an enclosed vivarium with a lock, so unlikely to have an escape, but if we did how much danger would snake pose to cats, or cats pose to snake? One of our cats is very small (weighs 5 pounds) so would be concerned mostly about her... though it will only be a small snake I'd wonder about the chance of bites...

And any other thoughts people have on the co-habitation of snake and cat!
    We are still deliberating and just trying to gather information at the moment.
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 505 ✭✭✭zanador

Shivi111 wrote: »
    So... we are thinking of a new pet to join the family, I've always had small furries in the past but when the last once left us I didn't replace him as we have, in the meantime, become cat people!
    We have been researching, and talking about, getting a corn snake.
    I'm wondering if anyone here has both cats and corn snakes and could offer their experience.
    My concerns are that
    1) The mere presence of a snake will upset the cats, ie that they might feel threatened or unsafe by us having one in the house?
    2) We woud have an enclosed vivarium with a lock, so unlikely to have an escape, but if we did how much danger would snake pose to cats, or cats pose to snake? One of our cats is very small (weighs 5 pounds) so would be concerned mostly about her... though it will only be a small snake I'd wonder about the chance of bites...

And any other thoughts people have on the co-habitation of snake and cat!
    We are still deliberating and just trying to gather information at the moment.
    Thanks!

I have a friend with both and one cat ignores the snake while the other constantly tries to get into the vivarium and so a strong lid is needed. I don't think a corn snake could do much damage to a cat, even a small one.

Advertisement