Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin city pubs where I can see my bike locked up

• 25-03-2015 3:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'll caveat this with " I won't be drinking alcohol".

I meet up with friends the odd evening after work in the pub in town. Since I've started cycling it's not that easy as i don't want to risk locking an expensive bike up somewhere. Any advise on good locations to lock the bike up or pubs that have a good eyeshot on a bike rack?

cheers
    Jon

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 106 ✭✭TripleMinor

I hope you're not serious.
    Do you really want to advertise on the internet when/where your expensive bike will be locked up?

Use a referral link when purchasing a Tesla and get free Supercharging KMs https://www.tesla.com/en_ie/referral/stephen958732

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Don't worry I'm not going to publish my bike details, time, day...etc. (really didn't expect that!)

Also hence why I want to be able to see it! So I can see if some toerag goes near it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Better solution might be to get a cheap hack for you pub bike. Less likely to get nicked, and less of a heartbreak if it does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Great thread. This is going to keep me amused all afternoon.

Submission 1.
    O' Donoghues on Suffolk St. (If you lock your bike to the lampose outside the window seat).
    https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.343421,-6.259797,3a,75y,105.37h,82.43t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sV2Nvv_VUeo7rtZL8ECH-8Q!2e0?hl=en

Great the more options I have the more difficult it will be for the toerags to find me!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,272 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Why not have the Pub come to you? :D

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/KJCWyRBiQEA/maxresdefault.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭colm_gti

Park it in Drury Street carpark

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

On a good day the Bull and Castle beer garden is nice and has a bike rack beside it.

The Bernard Shaw beer garden.
    2.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,116 ✭✭✭buffalo

Haven't been there in a while, but the Long Stone has a car park that backs on to the smoking area. The car park does close before the pub does though, so if you're late leaving, you'll wheel your bike out through the building to some odd looks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,027 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

colm_gti wrote: »
    Park it in Drury Street carpark
    +1

There's a wide choice of pubs within 5 mins walk. (The Hairy Lemon is just across the street).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 331 ✭✭roverrules

Leave it at home and strike out the bit about not drinking, you'll be much better company when not constantly peering out the windows.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nc19

thinly veiled 'I have friends' thread...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Doctor Bob

The Welcome Inn on Parnell Street lets you bring your bike inside.

https://goo.gl/maps/5J6sf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

I think you can bring your bike into the black sheep on Capel Street and hang it up.
    https://twitter.com/blacksheepdub/status/561200227764670467

Maybe ask them just to double check that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭Matt Bianco

Long past it's decadent late 90's heyday and OT I know - but is the Welcome Inn still opening bar Love Hate filming?
    Doctor Bob wrote: »
    The Welcome Inn on Parnell Street lets you bring your bike inside.

https://goo.gl/maps/5J6sf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 673 ✭✭✭blobbie

The Auld Triangle.

You can't exactly see you bike locked up from here but it is handy for visiting http://tinyurl.com/ne2u7wa :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

Johnnie Fox's !

Well, it's Dublin if not quite city.

Nobody will rob your bike and you'll have a great workout getting there. Careful on the descent home mind ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Is there really any danger to a bike on a public street with a good quality u-lock?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Zillah wrote: »
    Is there really any danger to a bike on a public street with a good quality u-lock?

http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/dublin-bike-thefts-surge-at-unprecedented-rate-no-other-crime-rising-as-fast/

According to this article, the answer is probably YES

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,838 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Eamonnator wrote: »

In related news, the sales of cable locks are surging.

It's funny how often that image at stickybottle shows up to illustrate an article about bike theft:
    HG1.jpg

What manner of locking would be overcome by snipping spokes in that way? Any way of locking a rear wheel other than the Sheldon method of locking through the rear triangle could be overcome by just taking off the rear wheel and stealing the frame. If locked through the rear triangle, the thief couldn't steal the bike, even after snipping every spoke, as shown. The thief would still have to saw through the rim or break it some other way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Keep_Her_Lit

tomasrojo wrote: »
    It's funny how often that image at stickybottle shows up to illustrate an article about bike theft:
    HG1.jpg

What manner of locking would be overcome by snipping spokes in that way? Any way of locking a rear wheel other than the Sheldon method of locking through the rear triangle could be overcome by just taking off the rear wheel and stealing the frame. If locked through the rear triangle, the thief couldn't steal the bike, even after snipping every spoke, as shown. The thief would still have to saw through the rim or break it some other way.

That had me wondering too. Here's my guess ... the bike was nicked first, then sometime later somebody decided they'd help themselves to the hub, the quick way. Abandoned bikes (or bike parts) can "decay" over an extended period. Reminds me of those time lapse films of animal corpses being munched by an assortment of other living creatures until only the bones remain.

Or it's just a set-up for an eye-catching photo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Are your friends actually willing to accommodate you choosing a pub based on your bike?!

• Advertisement

That had me wondering too. Here's my guess ... the bike was nicked first, then sometime later somebody decided they'd help themselves to the hub, the quick way. Abandoned bikes (or bike parts) can "decay" over an extended period. Reminds me of those time lapse films of animal corpses being munched by an assortment of other living creatures until only the bones remain.

Or most of the bike was stolen by an opportunist who didn't have a spanner to undo the axle nut on the front wheel, but did have a boltcutters...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Doctor Bob

Long past it's decadent late 90's heyday and OT I know - but is the Welcome Inn still opening bar Love Hate filming?

It's a while since I was there, but I hadn't heard that it had closed. The opening hours often seemed to be a bit of a moveable feast.

Maybe 'moveable feast' is the wrong phrase. A few years ago a friend was at the bar in the Welcome and asked if they had crisps for sale. The reply he got: "This isn't a f***ing restaurant." :)

(I should point out that I've never found the barman anything other than sound, but others might have had different experiences.)

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭granty1987

The Bernard Shaw beer garden.
    2.jpg

Only problem with that is in the evenings its so packed you couldn't swing a topknot hair do, let alone bring the bike into the shaw

I would appreciate more bike friendly beergardens though

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

The Oval on Abbey St has clear sightlines to a couple of sign posts on the street.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 690 ✭✭✭dragratchet

Doctor Bob wrote: »
    It's a while since I was there, but I hadn't heard that it had closed. The opening hours often seemed to be a bit of a moveable feast.

Maybe 'moveable feast' is the wrong phrase. A few years ago a friend was at the bar in the Welcome and asked if they had crisps for sale. The reply he got: "This isn't a f***ing restaurant." :)

(I should point out that I've never found the barman anything other than sound, but others might have had different experiences.)

myself and a few buddies once had a very different experience involving a jogger getting attacked for using the toilet, a few pint glasses getting hurled at a wall and a crow bar getting waggled about. needless to say we drank up and headed off quickly :eek:

myself and a few buddies once had a very different experience involving a jogger getting attacked for using the toilet, a few pint glasses getting hurled at a wall and a crow bar getting waggled about. needless to say we drank up and headed off quickly :eek:

Was the jogger a customer? Could've been worse...

hqdefault.jpg

• Advertisement

Or the time the two lads with the motorbike helmets came in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEwTOVNnLyw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

The Back Page in Phibsboro is a pretty handy little bar (owned by the same guys as the Bernard Shaw, just not as busy), seen plenty of bikes being wheeled through to the smoking area out back. Good beer and pizza. Great place to watch a match too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

Thanks the name of the thread made me smile, my solution is the chain it to yourself & then tell your friends that you cant go to the bar but theres the money you get them in and one for my bike while your at it!

Advertisement