Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UNRESOLVED: Didn't go against charter, didn't break rules = Infraction from Sparks

Options
  • 25-03-2015 3:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for recommendations for companys out there for some web development work that I'm trying to get done at the moment, and having already tried the work wanted thread over in Web Design (which doesn't suit my needs anyway, which I guess is why I got only one reply) so I asked in Wed Development if anyone could recommend any reputatable companys in Ireland.

I don't work in Web Development, I was hoping the word or some pointers from some boards members in the industry would be better than googling blind.

Here is my post:

Subject: Recommend a Web Development company in Ireland
    Originally Posted by nm

Surprised not to see this in a sticky here since there are reasonably regular requests from people with little or no dev experience looking to get work done.

I've (what I think is) a reasonably big project that I'm looking to get someone to build, I've written a sort of spec document trying to outline as much detail as I can and also included mock-ups I created on gomockingbird.com.

I'm at the point now where I'm looking for quotes - I've just posted on guru.com, elance.com and freelancer.com. I have some project management experience so am open to getting the work done overseas if I can be convinced of the quality.

I posted in the 'work wanted' thread too but only one reply (this is more complex than your basic SME website).

Locally though I'm just googling blind really - can anyone list or recommend web development companys in Ireland from previous experience, reputation or similar?
    For this, my thread was deleted and I received an infraction, along with a curt message from the moderator 'Sparks'
    Originally Posted by Sparks
    Moderator Note

The reason there isn't a sticky is that it's banned in the forum charter. Thread deleted.

So I checked the charter and there is nothing whatsoever in it that is defied by the contents of my post.

Perplexed, I reply to the mod asking him what he's on about and where in the charter I've gone against.

It get's weirder then..
    Read through the thread again. Web hosting is completely banned and so is offering services and so is airing negative views on companies. What's not in there is the why - which is that we used to have a whole forum just for this stuff and it became such an unmanagable cluster**** of companies posting stuff about their competitors that it had to be closed down and outright deleted. Ever since, that whole area of webhosting and the general area of recommending commercial companies has been kept outside barge pole range for a good reason.

I haven't asked about hosting. I already have a hosting solution for my 3 current websites, I'm happy with it, I didn't even mention hosting.

I'm also looking for recommendations, the polar opposite of "negative views". I know as common sense dictates, negative posting against a company won't be anywhere on boards. Again, not the point of my thread in the slightest.

nm, negative posting is directly implied in your thread:

Quote:
    can anyone list or recommend web development companys in Ireland from previous experience, reputation or similar?

I don't know what else to say, can the cMod just read the above and explain how the words "can anyone list or recommend web development companys in Ireland from previous experience, reputation or similar?" is "negative posting is directly implied"

:confused:

Although as a moderator I'm sure he's great guy, from that message if I didn't know any better I'd think the author is not be firing on all cylinders.

If he/she wants to run the forum that way fine, lock the thread, highly annoying as it's been done previously with no issue and certainly without any of this fantasy 'negative posting' rubbish that the mod is speculating will happen in my thread (note: hadn't happened 2 days in, 2 recommendations received too - thanks).. but where it get ridiculous is the infraction.

There is no mention in the charter of anything that comes up in my thread.
    There is no mention in my thread of anything that is banned in the charter.

So an infraction for posting something that's banned by the charter is complete BS.

I would like to see this infraction lifted and in a perfect world, this trigger happy moderator infracted for abusing his position.

---

In regard to due process, I thought from the above it was obvious that I have already engaged the moderator and needed to bring this to the cMod.
    However Zaph closed my last thread telling me to talk to the moderator.

So crystal clear this time - I have already followed process and pointed this out to the mod and got nowhere. I am, as I state above (again), now looking for the cMod to overturn the infraction for going against the charter, as there was nothing whatsoever in my post going against the charter.

Comments

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

You clearly missed the point about civility. I don't know about you, but if I had just been called out for being uncivil, I wouldn't immediately follow up by accusing the moderator of not firing on all cylinders, describing him as trigger-happy and demanding that he be infracted.

A category moderator will review the infraction presently. I suggest that you approach the rest of the process with civility, and - for the avoidance of doubt - I'm not interested in entertaining a discussion on what you believe civility means.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

oscarBravo wrote: »
    You clearly missed the point about civility. I don't know about you, but if I had just been called out for being uncivil, I wouldn't immediately follow up by accusing the moderator of not firing on all cylinders, describing him as trigger-happy and demanding that he be infracted.

A category moderator will review the infraction presently. I suggest that you approach the rest of the process with civility, and - for the avoidance of doubt - I'm not interested in entertaining a discussion on what you believe civility means.

I attacked the post, not the poster, about it seeming to not be all there. Read it yourself and give an opinion, that's all I ask. Or am I the only one reviewed in this dispute between two people?

I made absolutely no demands.

That reply is just another in the standard tone though.

I will await the cMod's review, which I hope will address the point I actually made - which is that I was infracted for going against a charter, when I did not.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

If you're trying to have another appeal thread locked, you're going about it the right way. Your opening post wasn't significantly more civil than the last one that got closed, and claiming that you're attacking the post rather than the poster when describing someone as trigger-happy and not firing on all cylinders is, frankly, insulting my intelligence.

Don't reply to this post. A category moderator will review your appeal presently.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

just seeing this now - i'll review ASAP and post back

MiCr0 wrote: »
    just seeing this now - i'll review ASAP and post back

Thank you

• Advertisement

Any update?

Any update?

Sorry about this, asap wasn't quick. I'll follow up with the mod on Monday

Hi, don't want to rush but is this being looked into?

sorry - this is all on me. I ended up on a business trip i wasn't expecting.

• Advertisement

We're approaching 3 weeks now since I asked for this to be looked into by a cMod. Still no indication at all.

Can I request an admin look at it now?

To re-cap and shorten why this thread exists, my stance is simple and clear - I was infracted by the mod for going against the charter, when as far as I can see I didn't go against the charter at all. It went from there.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Given that we only currently have one CMod, and MiCr0 obviously needs a dig out I'm going to jump in and deal with this.

I've reversed the card because I agree that the charter doesn't specifically prohibit someone from posting what was in your thread. There has been a lot of bad history in terms of people scrapping over companies, but that shouldn't mean you have to read between the lines in terms of what is meant by the charter. I'll inform the mods they need the charter to back up what they think it says if cards like this are to be handed out.

Can I also take this opportunity to suggest you tone down the abrasive attitude that has seen you amass cards and bans from several forums. You're getting into the territory now where temporary sitebans are considered.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement