Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USB 3 ports not workling

Options
  • 25-03-2015 4:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭

HI all,
    At the end of my tether here.

My HP Pavillion has 2 USB 3 ports at the side. I never really used them for anything with superspeed before, but to maximise my new UPC 240MB connection, I purchased a USB3/gigabit ethernet adapter. Was getting on great and getting great speeds, my LAN was super fast and I was getting full speeds from the internet.

However a couple of weeks ago - i wasn't getting a connection. I moved the ethernet back to my old ethernet port and had 100mb speed. Not really what I wanted. I presumed the new adapter was at fault but I tested it in a USB2 port and it worked fine - although not giving me true gigabit speeds, just similar 100mb speeds.

Thinking it wasnt the new adapter, I presumed it was the USB ports themselves, but i tested some normal USB2 things in the ports and they work fine.

A quick check on the internet gave me some other solutons.
    1. adjusting the power optons for the USB ports - no sucess
    2. uninstalling a recent windows update - couldnt find the update mentioned
    3. updating drivers - most recent driver already installed
    4. disabling/uninstalling Intel® USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller Driver - nothing

Any ideas?

Its windows 8.1 BTW

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,507 ✭✭✭✭Virgin Media: Brian

newbie2 wrote: »
    HI all,
    At the end of my tether here.

My HP Pavillion has 2 USB 3 ports at the side. I never really used them for anything with superspeed before, but to maximise my new UPC 240MB connection, I purchased a USB3/gigabit ethernet adapter. Was getting on great and getting great speeds, my LAN was super fast and I was getting full speeds from the internet.

However a couple of weeks ago - i wasn't getting a connection. I moved the ethernet back to my old ethernet port and had 100mb speed. Not really what I wanted. I presumed the new adapter was at fault but I tested it in a USB2 port and it worked fine - although not giving me true gigabit speeds, just similar 100mb speeds.

Thinking it wasnt the new adapter, I presumed it was the USB ports themselves, but i tested some normal USB2 things in the ports and they work fine.

A quick check on the internet gave me some other solutons.
    1. adjusting the power optons for the USB ports - no sucess
    2. uninstalling a recent windows update - couldnt find the update mentioned
    3. updating drivers - most recent driver already installed
    4. disabling/uninstalling Intel® USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller Driver - nothing

Any ideas?

Its windows 8.1 BTW

Cheers

Hi there,

Hope I'm not butting in? If you'd like to PM UPC: Reps with your account details we can also test your connection to make sure you're getting the full bandwidth from your connection?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

Hi Brian,
    Many thanks, I'll do that when I get home from work. Although I'm pretty confidant that I'm getting the max speeds when I connect to my router using a cat5e cable and my USB 3/Gigabit ethernet adapter.

The slower speeds are a result of my laptop only having 100mbs ethernet connection and about 50mbs wifi.

There's no point IMO on having a 240 MBS connection if I cant use 140 mbs of it, that's the reason I purchased the adapter. It was working fine, but then just stopped working a coupkl eof weeks ago. I will add thatI haven't tested any other USB 3 device in the ports.

The other option is of course to change my laptop's ethernet card to a gigabit one. The purchase of the adapter, was to avoid this.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Polar Ice

Sounds a little strange to me that a computer would have USB3 ports, but only have 100mbps ethernet instead of gigabits ethernet

Bumpage for some fresh ideas.
    Anyone??

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Integrated 10/100 BASE-T Ethernet LAN

From the laptops specification it appears you do not have a Gigabit LAN controller. This would likely explain the slower network connection.
    Does the USB 3 ports work with USB 2 devices such as a usb key?

Nick

Hi Nick,

Yeas I am aware of the laptops slower network connection because it does not have a gigabit Ethernet card, that is the reason I was using a USB 3 / ethernet adapter.

The ports work fine with USB 2 devices and the adapter works fine (although not at full speeds) in a regular USB 2 port.

It used to work - then one day just stopped working.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I wonder has a MS update installed an updated driver that it doesn't like. Can you roll back to an earlier one?

Advertisement