Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corbally, Limerick- Flood Concerns

Options
  • 25-03-2015 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi everyone,

Considering buying a house in Meadowbrook, on the Mill Road in Corbally. I know parts of it are at risk of flooding, but I'm fairly confident the one we're looking at isnt.

Just wondering if anyone knows the area well and can remember how high the flood waters came last year or in 2009 (The last two big floods as far as I know)

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Geniass

Hi everyone,

Considering buying a house in Meadowbrook, on the Mill Road in Corbally. I know parts of it are at risk of flooding, but I'm fairly confident the one we're looking at isnt.

Just wondering if anyone knows the area well and can remember how high the flood waters came last year or in 2009 (The last two big floods as far as I know)

Cheers

Separately, you might want to ring the insurance company and ask them if the area you're moving into is covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,261 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

I live on the Mill Road, not Meadow brook though, I wasn't aware of any homes affected there by the flooding last time, could be wrong but doubt it, you may get a better response if this thread can be moved to the Limerick forum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭MaggotBrain

Go to the council for flood maps. I was looking down there previously, potholes and traffic turned me away. Lovely area with good value to be had.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Dr_Bill

Look no further than the OPW who provide a website floodmaps.ie it should tell you all you need to know so you can make an informed decision and make yourself aware of the risks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Pasty12345

Friends of mine rented in meadowbrook for several years and they got away without having any damage done with the floods that damaged the area. They were lucky. But I know they did have issues with their contents insurance with the broker. They said it was in a flood risk area. Not sure if they were covered

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭smilerxxx

I just bought a house there op. I had no problem with insurance and no issue with previous flooding. On a plus the "potholes" are all gone as the whole road was resurfaced last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 tishia05

Dr_Bill wrote: »
    Look no further than the OPW who provide a website floodmaps.ie it should tell you all you need to know so you can make an informed decision and make yourself aware of the risks.

Thanks very much! so helpful:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Beachball123

Cheers everyone, great response :)

I rang a couple of insurance companies, they said there was no problem on their end.

Also spoke to the city engineer (through Limerick City Council), who was very helpful. He was able to tell me that it last flooded in 1999, specifically that only the roads were affected with little or no house damage, and that flood defences were installed the following year. He said the two subsequent major flood events (2009 and 2014) did not affect the area at all.

The OPW site floodmaps.ie was very useful, and backed up everything the city engineer said.

Mortgage has been delayed by the banks valuer throwing "potential flood risk" up as an issue, but it seems to be sorted now that Ive provided them with the info above (especially the map data). Fingers crossed!

Thanks again everyone, maybe ill see some of you about the new 'hood!

smilerxxx wrote: »
    I just bought a house there op. I had no problem with insurance and no issue with previous flooding. On a plus the "potholes" are all gone as the whole road was resurfaced last week.

First thing we noticed on our second viewing of the house, the new surface makes some difference!

Very useful tip, exactly what i needed!

• Advertisement
Advertisement